5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air Bag Light Blinking - Reset Options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Air Bag Light Blinking - Reset Options?

My airbag light on my dash is blinking and it should be off. I removed my glove box a couple weeks ago and I disconnected the yellow electrical connectors. I put the connectors back together and the light is still on. Does anyone know how to reset the light? The owner's manual says to take the car to a dealership.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

I recall if you're going to do anything with the air bag system you need to disconnect the battery first. I do not believe there is a reset that can be done with out a consult II...
Old 11-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Wheelie King
My airbag light on my dash is blinking and it should be off. I removed my glove box a couple weeks ago and I disconnected the yellow electrical connectors. I put the connectors back together and the light is still on. Does anyone know how to reset the light? The owner's manual says to take the car to a dealership.
I feel your pain brother. My airbag light has been blinking for 2 months now. Quite annoying. I read the following link which seems to have some answers, but I've been too lazy to try it.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=538018
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM

I just went through this last week. To go into diagnostics mode, follow these steps:
  • Turn the ignition key on for seven seconds (the length of time the airbag light stays solidly on).
  • Turn the ignition off within 1 second.
  • Wait at least three seconds to turn ignition back on.
  • Repeat these steps two more times (three total).
The system will start a series of airbag light flashes to indicate what the problem is and most likely this will be as far as you'll get with an FSM, but without a Consult. IF the light was brough up by a glitch, as it did with mine, this may clear the light.

I know this is a stretch, but a non-Nissan friend had this happen to him and it was a bad voltage regulator/alternator that was messing with the SRS module. I'll be keeping an eye on both my battery and alternator since they are both original.

Just curious, how old/how many miles on your cars? 6.5 years/104K miles on mine.

Last edited by CCS2k1Max; 11-12-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:55 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
I just went through this last week. To go into diagnostics mode, follow these steps:
  • Turn the ignition key on for seven seconds (the length of time the airbag light stays solidly on).
The system will start a series of airbag light flashes to indicate what the problem is and most likely this will be as far as you'll get with an FSM, but without a Consult. IF the light was brough up by a glitch, as it did with mine, this may clear the light.

I know this is a stretch, but a non-Nissan friend had this happen to him and it was a bad voltage regulator/alternator that was messing with the SRS module. I'll be keeping an eye on both my battery and alternator since they are both original.

Just curious, how old/how many miles on your cars? 6.5 years/104K miles on mine.
I recall this only worked for the 5.5 gen - will depend which model year the OP has.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM

It worked for my 01.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Worked for my 02 this morning.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 PM

It worked for my '03 tonight. Problem solved. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 AM

I'm not sure if anyone can answer the questions I have but here we go.

Background

I've installed 2003 I35 seats in my 2000 Maxima SE. Originally the car was equipped with seat air bags. The seats I put in the car have seat airbags. I drove the car once without the passenger side seat which tripped the air bag light, I'm guessing, because one of the air bags was disconnected. Since I've installed the new seats completely the air bag light has continued to flash every .5 seconds continuously. I've attempted to put the car in diagnostic mode by doing the turn ignition on, wait seven seconds, turn off within one second, wait three seconds and repeat two more times and then turn on ignition procedure. Each time the light just continues to flash as before. I've tried several variations of the procedure and each has failed to change the continuous flashing of the light.

Questions
  1. When you perform the turn on turn off procedure do you ever turn the car on? I've seen one procedure where it says to start the car up the FSM just says "turn ignition on".
  2. Do you turn the key to the lock position or ACC position when performing procedure?
  3. Is a continuous flashing light indicating another problem. The FSM doesn't specify. Its says go back to the turn on turn off procedure (section RS-41). I've also reinstalled the old air bags without any change either.
  4. I was wondering if there was a compatibility issue. There doesn't appear to be one.

Can anyone help provide some direction? Thanks much!

Last edited by Teddie18; 02-27-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM

1. No.
2. Turning the key back to ACC is fine.
3. IRC, a continuous 0.5 sec flash means either you have not turned on the diagnotic mode OR once on diagnostic mode, an earlier recorded problem is still in the system but you need the Consult to figure it out.
4. I doubt there's a compatibility issue.

Check your connections.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check your connections,
check your fuses,
try reset procedures using a stop watch.

on alot of these procedures, timing is crucial.

If all above fails, you'll to bring it in to the dealership for a diagnostic.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Is it me, or are some people blind?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=180158

Yes, I know the thread is old, BUT, for the people posting recently. . .
Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Is it me, or are some people blind?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=180158

Yes, I know the thread is old, BUT, for the people posting recently. . .
Been there. Done that. Didn't work. Oh......by the way I see quite fine.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM

1. No.
2. Turning the key back to ACC is fine.
3. IRC, a continuous 0.5 sec flash means either you have not turned on the diagnotic mode OR once on diagnostic mode, an earlier recorded problem is still in the system but you need the Consult to figure it out.
4. I doubt there's a compatibility issue.
Originally Posted by nsrider
check your connections,
check your fuses,
try reset procedures using a stop watch.

on alot of these procedures, timing is crucial.

If all above fails, you'll to bring it in to the dealership for a diagnostic.

Check your connections.
Thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

My bad, I didn't read your post far enough.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM

I finally got my air bag light in my 2000 Maxima to shut off. As I had posted previously I tried the turn the ignition on for seven seconds shut off for 4 seconds procedure without success.

This procedure below did work.

How to reset SRS(air bag) light:

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired. This is a job for your local friendly Nissan dealer.

I know I read this one on this site before but for some reason didn't try it. Well, tonight I was on another site came across it and gave it a try and it worked.

After performing the procedure the light flashed for three seconds on and two seconds off repeatedly. This indicates that the system is functioning properly. I shut the car off and turned it on again and the light shut off after seven seconds. Hooray!

Last edited by Teddie18; 03-27-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the air bag light in my mustang was on for 3 years
Old 03-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2003Maxima
the air bag light in my mustang was on for 3 years
What's your point?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 AM

Root of problem

If you reset the light and there is still a problem, does it come back on? I dont want to reset the light if there truly is a seat belt/airbag danger. Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 06:36 PM

The only way to reset it is if there is no problem. Nissan and just about all manufacturers have it flash to indicate any problem with the system. The length of the off and on sequences indicates what the specific problem is.

Last edited by Teddie18; 04-22-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 AM

I got the light to go off but I never saw any flashing sequences come on. Is it the 4th time you actually turn it on that the diagnosis comes up? Or does it just not come up if there are no errors?

I think my light came on because I was digging around under the seats for some stuff. Nothing on the car was worked on or changed. Thanks guys
Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Anyone ?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 PM

I got the system ok flashing sequence when I performed the procedure in post #16 of this thread. I don't know if you get it with the turn on turn off procedure.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did the same thing as the OP and the reset procedure in post #4 worked for me. I have a 01 SE.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Resetting Blinking Air Bag Light

I changed the in-cabin air filter on my '01 Maxima this weekend and unplugged the yellow connector (Air Bag) behind the GloveBox. Afterwards the air bag light started to flash non-stop. The steps noted in this thread where you turn the ignition key on for several seconds followed by turning the ignition off within 1 second etc worked. That saved me taking my car to the dealer and paying $105.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great post. I had my car in storage for the past 5 years and last winter when I took it out I moved the seat all the way back to put the floor mats in and when I brought the seat forward again the wires under the drivers seat got caught on the stiff flap of carpet. I imagine it was stiff because it was 15 deg F that day. So that tripped the srs and I have been driving around with that annoying blinking for awhile although I had put a peace of black electrical tape over the blinking light you could still see it from the sides.

I followed the instructions posted here and it worked like a charm.

Thank you for the post.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the tip, worked great on my 2001
Old 03-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This worked for my Maxima 2003 SE. Removed the glove box to get to the fan blower.

One caveat though is after waiting the 7 seconds, turn "off" to ACC mode. Repeat the steps like suggested and turn completely off after the last cycle.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM

damn srs system...
Old 12-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Procedure in post #4 worked for me 1st try. Im assuming, that starting car with yellow coupler not reconnected yet is the blame for the flashing.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tnvmax
Procedure in post #4 worked for me 1st try. Im assuming, that starting car with yellow coupler not reconnected yet is the blame for the flashing.
Yes indeed. It's happened to me. Best approach is to disconnect the battery when working with any part of the SRS system.

You can reset the SRS system and diagnose SRS specific issues with NDS2. You 5th gen guys are lucky that your cars work with NDS2.

NDS2 provides Consult2 functionality but runs on your PC. Its also handy if you need to reset NATS key codes. I've used NDS2 on a friends 2000 model with a VAG COM OBDII adapter that I bought on eBay.

http://www.nissandatascan.com/

I've used NDS1 to diagnose and reset codes several times. Here's how the airbag screens look.

Name:  Air_Bag_01_zps4c8f86b2.jpg
Views: 9509
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  Air_Bag_03_zpsa7406aa0.png
Views: 9925
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-09-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Light blinking all the time now

Just changed clock spring 2 weeks ago and last night removed the negative pole and then the steering wheel to realigh it and this morning the light came up and wont stop blinking I may left one cable of from the airbag or theres another reason to Light up and blink all the time?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:35 AM

What Id say that is (after dealing with my airbag light blinking for two years before I figured out it was a bad connection)
Is if it was blinking before the clockspring then you reset it it will blink over a few times to let you know something was fixed.
Just keep resetting it should go out.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:59 PM

What does it mean if you have 8 blinks in diagnostic mode?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:06 PM

I hadn't driven my 02 in over a week then this afternoon the airbag light was flashing. What the carp?

After multiple attempts with this procedure, I got it to clear.

1) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
2) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
4) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
5) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
7) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
8) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
9) Wait 4 seconds
10) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car (the light may be blinking slower than before)
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car

After one of the attempts, it changed from a steady blink to 1 long followed by 8 short blinks.

Glad it's out now.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Thanks for posting, but no luck

I tried this sequence 3 times and the light is still blinking, gdi. It did go from a faster blink to a slower blink. I’ve taken it to my mechanic and he’s never seen it but said it’s fine to drive with it even though it’s annoying the hell out of me. I have a piece of black tape over it and am considering just pulling the bulb at this point. Thanks again for the post and please let me know if I have to use this sequence 10 times or something else I’m doing wrong.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM

I thought I was pretty good with this kind of thing, having done similar procedures many times before. However, it appears that the timing with this one is very critical. I definitely did it between 5 and 10 times. In fact, I gave up at one point and assumed I actually had a problem with my airbag system. Then I decided to go back out and try a few more times.

I also tried another procedure from another thread:

1. Open door
2. Turn key to "ON"
3. Press door switch (switch covered with black rubber boot in door well) 5 times within 7 seconds
4. Turn key to "OFF"
5. Close door
6. Start engine

I think this procedure is the one that showed me the diagnostic code of 1 long, 8 short blinks

I would suggest getting a metronome app for your phone. Set it to beep/click at 60 bpm (once per second) then follow the procedure using the clicks so you won't have to try to follow a stopwatch which can be difficult.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM

Well, that was short-lived. The light is blinking again.

In diagnostic mode, I'm still getting one long, 8 short blinks which is the passenger airbag.

I took out the passenger airbag and it looks perfect. I also disconnected all the connectors on the diagnostic sensor and it's still blinking.

No idea what's going on here.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A32 - this worked for our 1997 maxima
Old 12-16-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SquidBeak
I hadn't driven my 02 in over a week then this afternoon the airbag light was flashing. What the carp?

After multiple attempts with this procedure, I got it to clear.

1) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
2) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
4) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
5) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
7) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
8) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
9) Wait 4 seconds
10) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car (the light may be blinking slower than before)
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car

After one of the attempts, it changed from a steady blink to 1 long followed by 8 short blinks.

Glad it's out now.
Hi folks,

So, I changed my HVAC blower motor in my '03, but didn't disconnect my battery before unplugging the yellow plug behind the glovebox (airbag). For future reference, that yellow plug doesn't have to be unplugged to remove the glove box. Just squeeze the side tabs of the clips of the connector and separate it from the glove box.

Anyway, all back together and I got the dreaded flashing airbag warning light. This procedure quoted above worked for me to reset the warning light. The other two procedures in this thread didn't work for me. I tried them both several times each with no luck.

Cheers,
Glenn