5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Killed a TL-S! Almost!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 08:28 PM
nc00max

Killed a TL-S! Almost!

I was cruising home on the highway tonight when I see a pair of Acura headlights coming up fairly fast on my tail. He moves over a lane but slows up and gets a little in front of me, just enough for me to see the TL-S. I was going about 80, but when he started slowing, I did too. He keeps slowing till about 60 and maintains that while he's looking over at me. He flicks on his hazards and guns it, as do I. Luckily for me, 60 is a good spot for the auto (one of the few) and it downshifted into 2nd. I put the lever into 2 to keep it there till redline and flicked off the OD. I'm dead even till about 90 when ever so slowly I start inching up on him. Very, very slowly, but by 110 he was at my front wheel, which is where I started when he gunned it. He flicks on the hazards and starts slowing down, and I stayed with him. At about 70, he flicks his hazards again, and I gun it again, but the friggin tranny only drops into 3rd. He starts inching past me till about 90 again when I stay even at his front wheel, and by 110 this time we were dead even. Hazards again, he slows again, this time back to 60 again, and we go one more time. Ready for him this time, I put him at my front wheel by 95 or so, then all of a sudden he's cruising right by me! I was pretty sure he wasn't just keeping all that power in reserve, so when he exited I followed him down the on ramp and got next tom him at the light. He asked me what year my car was, and if it was 5spd. I told him no, but I did have some mods and admitted he would've killed me stock. He told me it had been awhile since he'd had to use the bottle, and to "keep it up" (whatever that meant) and turned off. I was pretty stoked about the whole thing but I still figure I was a little lucky (less than 1/4 tank being the main thing) and probably would've lost if we'd gone from the line. Oh well though, I had him once, and almost a second time, so I'm more than pleased. Unfortunately, even after I do well in a race I always feel the need for more mods...not that I can afford it for a while...

Old 10-23-2001, 08:46 PM

Re: Killed a TL-S! Almost!

Nice run. You said that when you were at 60, you dropped it into second and kept it there until redline and switched off the OD. Did you switch it off before or after you shifted to "D"? And also, when you're going that fast and shift down to 2nd, is it a smooth shift? Or does it jerk a little?
Old 10-23-2001, 08:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nc00max
I was cruising home on the highway tonight when I see a pair of Acura headlights coming up fairly fast on my tail. He moves over a lane but slows up and gets a little in front of me, just enough for me to see the TL-S. I was going about 80, but when he started slowing, I did too. He keeps slowing till about 60 and maintains that while he's looking over at me. He flicks on his hazards and guns it, as do I. Luckily for me, 60 is a good spot for the auto (one of the few) and it downshifted into 2nd. I put the lever into 2 to keep it there till redline and flicked off the OD. I'm dead even till about 90 when ever so slowly I start inching up on him. Very, very slowly, but by 110 he was at my front wheel, which is where I started when he gunned it. He flicks on the hazards and starts slowing down, and I stayed with him. At about 70, he flicks his hazards again, and I gun it again, but the friggin tranny only drops into 3rd. He starts inching past me till about 90 again when I stay even at his front wheel, and by 110 this time we were dead even. Hazards again, he slows again, this time back to 60 again, and we go one more time. Ready for him this time, I put him at my front wheel by 95 or so, then all of a sudden he's cruising right by me! I was pretty sure he wasn't just keeping all that power in reserve, so when he exited I followed him down the on ramp and got next tom him at the light. He asked me what year my car was, and if it was 5spd. I told him no, but I did have some mods and admitted he would've killed me stock. He told me it had been awhile since he'd had to use the bottle, and to "keep it up" (whatever that meant) and turned off. I was pretty stoked about the whole thing but I still figure I was a little lucky (less than 1/4 tank being the main thing) and probably would've lost if we'd gone from the line. Oh well though, I had him once, and almost a second time, so I'm more than pleased. Unfortunately, even after I do well in a race I always feel the need for more mods...not that I can afford it for a while...
A bottle fed TL-S...that's sounds like a pretty rare beast. I am thinking about the ZEX kit, but am not sure if I want to do it or not.

Anyway, losing to that particular TL-S isn't bad, a little juice can go a long way!!!
Old 10-23-2001, 08:56 PM
nc00max

Re: Re: Killed a TL-S! Almost!

Originally posted by 2001SilverSeMax
Nice run. You said that when you were at 60, you dropped it into second and kept it there until redline and switched off the OD. Did you switch it off before or after you shifted to "D"? And also, when you're going that fast and shift down to 2nd, is it a smooth shift? Or does it jerk a little?
When I floored it, it dropped into 2nd, but if you don't manually shift, you lose a few hundred rpms, so right after it downshifted, I put the lever into 2 so that I could keep control and grab those 4-500 extra rpm's, and if I hadn't, I almost surely would've lost. I took the OD off just in case cause I wasn't sure how fast the race was going to get. But we played it "safe" and shut it down at 110 each time. Thankfully there wasn't any traffic, so we were clear the whole way.

Old 10-23-2001, 08:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Killed a TL-S! Almost!

Okay, now I got it.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:01 AM

Nice story! I almost feel like I was in the car.

My brother just got a TL-S. If we're in the same city at the same time, we'll see what happens.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:20 AM
JET Speed Lab

good run.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:58 AM
Got Bent?

nice runs

its a good thing you were going 60... I have found that if you are going around 75-80 and gun it, it takes forever (relatively speaking) for the auto to get up to a good point in the rpm band. But, I guess you could always drop it into 2nd by hand
Old 10-24-2001, 12:53 PM

Great story and nice kill! Time to add the " special sause " to that nice superblack Max!!!
Did he have any other mods beside the NOS?
Old 10-24-2001, 06:57 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
Great story and nice kill! Time to add the " special sause " to that nice superblack Max!!!
Did he have any other mods beside the NOS?
Not that I know of. I've been thinking pretty seriously about some special sauce at least temporarily in place of forced induction until a new s/c or turbo comes out and can be properly tested, critiqued, and the bugs worked out. In any case, nothing major till Jan. or so. My H&R's will be in on Sat. and with the possible exception of tire replacement, that's gonna have to be it for at least a couple months (haven't told myself that before... ) I love my job, but it barely pays enough to keep up with the max...

Old 10-24-2001, 06:59 PM
RussMaxManiac

hahaha If a auto can do it with some mods, a 5spd for sure can do it! LOL its too funny! He had to spray!!!

Old 10-24-2001, 08:10 PM

Someonw I know is getting TL-S..damn I wish I could kill that noise in my 5spd stock...Also, someone said manual CL-S and TL-S come out for 2002 model year...who'd kill whom in stock form-2k2 6spd Max or manual TL-S?
Old 10-24-2001, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Someonw I know is getting TL-S..damn I wish I could kill that noise in my 5spd stock...Also, someone said manual CL-S and TL-S come out for 2002 model year...who'd kill whom in stock form-2k2 6spd Max or manual TL-S?
Wow that would be a great matchup
Old 10-24-2001, 10:11 PM

Yes.... special sause will get you prepared for the s/c
Actually... if you run 75-100hp shot... it may feel better then the s/c. But anything above 75hp shot will need to upgrade the fuel pump... but that should be done regardless if you are planning to squeeze more HP out of the Max... and upgrade the brakes also! Yeah... your ride is sweet, love the black... just missing some nice wheels

Not that I know of. I've been thinking pretty seriously about some special sauce at least temporarily in place of forced induction until a new s/c or turbo comes out and can be properly tested, critiqued, and the bugs worked out. In any case, nothing major till Jan. or so. My H&R's will be in on Sat. and with the possible exception of tire replacement, that's gonna have to be it for at least a couple months (haven't told myself that before... ) I love my job, but it barely pays enough to keep up with the max...
Old 10-25-2001, 12:40 AM

me race tls. and lose badly. just thought u should know
Old 10-25-2001, 12:00 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
Yes.... special sause will get you prepared for the s/c
Actually... if you run 75-100hp shot... it may feel better then the s/c. But anything above 75hp shot will need to upgrade the fuel pump... but that should be done regardless if you are planning to squeeze more HP out of the Max... and upgrade the brakes also! Yeah... your ride is sweet, love the black... just missing some nice wheels

Thanks. I'm probably gonna buy Tanmann9's 5-spoke 16" wheels if he's still got them in a couple months. I had to pay out 3 months worth of rent and car payment a couple of weeks ago to cover my *** since our ship is on 12-hour recall for a while and could be deployed for a couple months of the east coast if someone higher up feels the need for some added protection. Our station is SE of NYC too, so we'd likely be the first to go, along with the ship slated for the northern Ches. Bay (Wash. DC). Mod money's gone for a bit, but I figured better safe than getting bad credit/evicted...

Black019-sounds like it's time for some mods...

Old 10-25-2001, 12:29 PM

Thanks. I'm probably gonna buy Tanmann9's 5-spoke 16" wheels if he's still got them in a couple months. I had to pay out 3 months worth of rent and car payment a couple of weeks ago to cover my *** since our ship is on 12-hour recall for a while and could be deployed for a couple months of the east coast if someone higher up feels the need for some added protection. Our station is SE of NYC too, so we'd likely be the first to go, along with the ship slated for the northern Ches. Bay (Wash. DC). Mod money's gone for a bit, but I figured better safe than getting bad credit/evicted...

Black019-sounds like it's time for some mods...
your Auto modded max can keep up with NOS TL-S????
amazing..and i dont' think so
Old 10-25-2001, 12:32 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by MaxTuner

Read my first post a little more carefully as well as some of the other posts in this thread.

And I don't know if he had NOS. He did however have some form of nitrous, although I don't know which. There is a difference.

Old 10-25-2001, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by black019
me race tls. and lose badly. just thought u should know
well you're 4th gen and probably auto? nah i am not gonna race against TL-S
Old 10-25-2001, 02:07 PM

Please read the post carefully before responding...
nc00max said he was hanging with the TL-S until the TL-S apparently hit his nitrous and started pulling away. And the TL-S guy confirmed this by saying " it had been awhile since he'd had to use the bottle ".
I have tied several, and beaten a few TL-Ss and CL-Ss with the mods I have... no NOS yet. It really depends on the driver. The cars are pretty evenly matched.

Originally posted by MaxTuner

Old 10-25-2001, 04:03 PM

Just a question, what do auto Maxima's with such mods run at the track. Because when my TL-S was stock, I ran a 14.8 at 96.4 mph.
Old 10-25-2001, 04:10 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by ColgateU
Just a question, what do auto Maxima's with such mods run at the track. Because when my TL-S was stock, I ran a 14.8 at 96.4 mph.
I seem to recall seeing lots of TYPE S'S running 15s at the tracks..

Old 10-25-2001, 05:02 PM

The drivers of those type S's must not have known how to race or drive their type S's at the track. Either that, or conditions must not have been that great. Many stock type S's get into the 14's at the track.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:26 PM
RussMaxManiac

The drivers of those type S's must not have known how to race or drive their type S's at the track. Either that, or conditions must not have been that great. Many stock type S's get into the 14's at the track.
Magazine drivers know how to drive as well, and they get 15s.

Old 10-25-2001, 05:40 PM

I really don't want to get into this stupid conversation, but all I have to say is read up on your motor trend and car and driver. Both got a TL-S into the 14's handily.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
nice runs

its a good thing you were going 60... I have found that if you are going around 75-80 and gun it, it takes forever (relatively speaking) for the auto to get up to a good point in the rpm band. But, I guess you could always drop it into 2nd by hand
Not really, at 75-80 you're in semi prime region if you turn off OD. You'll be in ball park power band, the revs will jump up to ~4000+ and the car will be very responsive.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:09 PM
nc00max

I guess I should've known this was coming. My apologies to all the .org members for dragging the TL-S guys into this, I didn't mean to.

I'm thrilled that your TL-S gets 14.8's in the 1/4 as well as a number of others. My friend's CL-S gets 15.0's with almost perfect consistency, (given similar track conditions) and he goes about every other weekend. Off the line I fall behind by about a car length and stay there. My friend and I have yet to race at high speed since we always leave work at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and traffic is a consideration. This was my first Type-S race on the highway, and like I said, I barely nosed him out before he hit his bottle. My last dyno was at 190fwhp with the OSCAI/y-pipe/UDP combo. I've since switched to the JWT which has been dynoed by others to give around 6-7whp by itself as opposed to the OSCAI's 1whp. BUT, since I haven't dynoed my car with the JWT, I won't make any claims about what I have or don't have. Even at 190whp that puts me about 10-13 whp behind a stock TL-S with him weighing about 320lbs. more. There's also a billion factors to take into account since it was on the streets, such as extra weight (full tank, aftermarket stereo, corpse in the trunk), driver skill, vehicle maintenance, and so on. I apologize if you disagree and can't believe it. It happened, and was probably not the first time a type-S has been beaten by a modded auto Maxima and won't be the last. Have a nice day and take it easy.

Old 10-25-2001, 07:25 PM

I never said I doubted your story. The driver really wins or looses a race sometimes, and some cars come out of the factory stronger than others as well. All I asked is what you run in the 1/4 mile. I stated what I ran in the 1/4 mile and I had someone jump on me immediately. I come to talk cars and not say, "B.S., your full of sh_t, you could never beat a TL-S, my car is better cause I paid more." Some of you guys are touchy.
Old 10-25-2001, 08:48 PM
nc00max

I never said I doubted your story. The driver really wins or looses a race sometimes, and some cars come out of the factory stronger than others as well. All I asked is what you run in the 1/4 mile. I stated what I ran in the 1/4 mile and I had someone jump on me immediately. I come to talk cars and not say, "B.S., your full of sh_t, you could never beat a TL-S, my car is better cause I paid more." Some of you guys are touchy.
Sorry dude, but when we get our type-S visitors, usually they're here to **** and moan about a post or call BS if anything goes faster than their car. The fact that they never give input on any post other than one dealing with a type-S reaffirms that. If all you wanna do is chat somewhere other than a TL forum, then by all means welcome and I hope you stay. I've only been to the track once and I ran a 15.25@90.66mph. I don't really plan on going back for a while since my tires are balding and I've got some new mods and other little stuff coming up first. If there tracks around here are open, I'll probably go back when I get new tires and this time do all the usual track stuff like lowering pressures, taking out dead weight, etc. With the new tires and VB mod I should get into the 14's, but I'll just have to wait and see...