5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Steering wheel rattle.... Video inside...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Steering wheel rattle.... Video inside...

I cant find my old thread that i made on this a month ago.... the 5th gen forums only go back to 7 pages.... and im not paid member... so i cant search for it properly...

anyways... My steering wheel makes a noise when ever i turn it... but only when im doing what im doing in the video..... and when i go over bumps... it rattles back and forth for a second.... and when im braking... and the road isnt smooth... it likes to rattle a bit longer.... and sometimes pull to the left or the right..

but here is the video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b4p9rm6M--g

btw.... its not as loud in reality....while driving... u feel it more than hear.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM

Did you check under the car yet? Check your ball joints. Also look under the dash you can see the steering rack pretty good their and check out the connections maybe something is loose theres a square piece of plastic there you should check out.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

check all the plastic crap around your steering wheel.......something is loose inside your car
Old 11-25-2007, 03:59 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

IWNTMORHP!! Has the EXACT same problem, you may want to PM him and ask him what he has found out about it.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:31 PM

IIRC, the steering wheel connects to a spline directly. there may be freeplay in the machineing, or perhaps there is a treatment process that failed. I encounter this on engines every so often. Sometimes our heat treat process has an error and causes the valve seat to not harden properly, usually only on one valve, which causes deformation after time.

The nissan dealer typically has a flat rate for diagnosis, that i believe is set by nissan north america, at $98. If they ask for more tell them to screw themselves.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stardust
IWNTMORHP!! Has the EXACT same problem, you may want to PM him and ask him what he has found out about it.

Alright... I sent him a PM.... thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
Did you check under the car yet? Check your ball joints. Also look under the dash you can see the steering rack pretty good their and check out the connections maybe something is loose theres a square piece of plastic there you should check out.

so basicly tilt the wheel up... and stick my head under there and see whats moving around?... i can do that... i think..

but ball joints ... no clue what and where that is...
Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
check all the plastic crap around your steering wheel.......something is loose inside your car

Do i have to remove anything to check this out?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_01SE_20th
IIRC, the steering wheel connects to a spline directly. there may be freeplay in the machineing, or perhaps there is a treatment process that failed. I encounter this on engines every so often. Sometimes our heat treat process has an error and causes the valve seat to not harden properly, usually only on one valve, which causes deformation after time.

The nissan dealer typically has a flat rate for diagnosis, that i believe is set by nissan north america, at $98. If they ask for more tell them to screw themselves.

last resort would be the nissan diagnostic... but i dont plan on having them fix it...

BTW... to everyone.... if i let this be... would it get worse?...
Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe87865
so basicly tilt the wheel up... and stick my head under there and see whats moving around?... i can do that... i think..

but ball joints ... no clue what and where that is...
Yeah basically just stick your head under the dash and either move the wheel yourself or have someone else move it for you then look at all the stuff moveing.
To check the ball joints raise the hole front end up so that both wheels are in the air then look at the ball joints from the control arms and from the steering try moving the wheels while they are in the air and look at the ball joints while your trying to move the wheels.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 AM

don't know about your problem but you can find your old thread by going to your profile and looking at your subscribed threads. These are all the threads you have posted in
Old 11-28-2007, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
Yeah basically just stick your head under the dash and either move the wheel yourself or have someone else move it for you then look at all the stuff moveing.
To check the ball joints raise the hole front end up so that both wheels are in the air then look at the ball joints from the control arms and from the steering try moving the wheels while they are in the air and look at the ball joints while your trying to move the wheels.

ok i did this... didnt see anything moving around... there was a white plastic thing ... and everything just looks intact.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Did you hear back from IWNTMORHP!! ?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by Lontar1

there are plastic pieces that can come off the steering wheel on a 00-01 that you can take off. I don't know if it's the same with 02-03 but maybe something is just rattling inside the steering wheel.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

no rattle or loose stuff, not a ball joint and it's nothing with the suspension...it is in the wheel and it is only when you make the initial turn from one direction to the other. It is only heard as the initial pressure exerted on the wheel to turn is applied...it is, as the tech at nissan says...a steering column bearing...it is not a piece you can buy and it doesn't have a part number. the solution is buy a whole new steering column. try pushing on the wheel...like you are trying to collapse it into the dash and turn...mine goes away then! go figure i have to keep constant pressure applied to keep it quiet and keep from feeling it! it is freakin annoying! but not so annoying that I'd drop the coin to get it fixed yet. if I had a free weekend and didn't have my kids to watch all weekend (wife works weekends) I would tear it appart and see what I find...but i don't have a free weekend, and the weather is now colder than a penguin's pecker, so that means my fat azz stays inside. where's broaner when you need him?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by IWNTMORHP!!
no rattle or loose stuff, not a ball joint and it's nothing with the suspension...it is in the wheel and it is only when you make the initial turn from one direction to the other. It is only heard as the initial pressure exerted on the wheel to turn is applied...it is, as the tech at nissan says...a steering column bearing...it is not a piece you can buy and it doesn't have a part number. the solution is buy a whole new steering column. try pushing on the wheel...like you are trying to collapse it into the dash and turn...mine goes away then! go figure i have to keep constant pressure applied to keep it quiet and keep from feeling it! it is freakin annoying! but not so annoying that I'd drop the coin to get it fixed yet. if I had a free weekend and didn't have my kids to watch all weekend (wife works weekends) I would tear it appart and see what I find...but i don't have a free weekend, and the weather is now colder than a penguin's pecker, so that means my fat azz stays inside. where's broaner when you need him?

yes... you are on the money about the exerting pressure and it goes away...

but when you say its in the wheel?... you mean the actual front wheels?.... the sound and feel feels like its much closer to my hand and not farther away like by the wheels...

ok... steering column bearing eh?.... and only fix is the whole steering column huh?... jebus.... that sounds expensive.

since im not mechanicly inclined nor do i have the coin... ill be patient and wait for your spring time to come around...

its not that bothersome.... it just feels unsafe at times... when coming to a stop at a light..... it rattles back and forth...

when ever u get some new info... please update this thread... or gimme a PM..

thanks alot
Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by bigjoe87865
but when you say its in the wheel?... you mean the actual front wheels?....
No, the steering wheel.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 AM

Sounds like something came off and is just vibrating around in there. I would take it apart and see what you could find.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by nismowolfe
Sounds like something came off and is just vibrating around in there. I would take it apart and see what you could find.
Try reading the entire thread

Originally Posted by IWNTMORHP!!
no rattle or loose stuff, not a ball joint and it's nothing with the suspension...it is in the wheel and it is only when you make the initial turn from one direction to the other. It is only heard as the initial pressure exerted on the wheel to turn is applied...it is, as the tech at nissan says...a steering column bearing...it is not a piece you can buy and it doesn't have a part number. the solution is buy a whole new steering column.