5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Redline transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Redline transmission fluid?

Hey, does anyone have Redline ATF in their tranny? I am considering changing out my regular fluid for Redline synthetic. I figure I need all the extra protection I can get because I shift my automatic manually just about every time I race, and besides that I drive pretty aggresivly alot of the time. Also, which one exactly do I need to get because I noticed on their website they have like 2 or 3 types for automatics.and I dont have my maxima owners manuel so how much fluid does it take? I appreciate your help....and yes, I tried the search feature but didnt find enough info..
Old 10-24-2001, 03:34 AM

Re: Redline transmission fluid?

Originally posted by ChillWill2000
Hey, does anyone have Redline ATF in their tranny? I am considering changing out my regular fluid for Redline synthetic. I figure I need all the extra protection I can get because I shift my automatic manually just about every time I race, and besides that I drive pretty aggresivly alot of the time. Also, which one exactly do I need to get because I noticed on their website they have like 2 or 3 types for automatics.and I dont have my maxima owners manuel so how much fluid does it take? I appreciate your help....and yes, I tried the search feature but didnt find enough info..
if you just drain it, it will take about 3 1/4 quarts (as you will obviously not get all the fluid out of the tranny). this is per someone from nissan. when you fill up after the drain, you will see that it actually is pretty accurate. i don't have redline, but i use mobil 1 synthetic, which i've heard is also pretty good. i get it for $5.99/quart @ pepboys. i just did my tranny fluid this weekend and i put in 4 quarts (which may be a little more than i needed, but i have having partial bottles laying around
Old 10-24-2001, 07:38 AM

Re: Redline transmission fluid?

Originally posted by ChillWill2000
On the recommendation of Don from Texas (mobiletech) when I got my vb mod, I got Redline and switched to it after my vb mod. A complete flush takes about 8 quarts. The kind I got was the D4 ATF. I think that should distinguish it from the other types. When I went on their site, I too was confused by the many types, but checked Don's e-mail and he said D4 so that's what I got - had it in for 8,000 miles and have had no problems.

If you check in the parts sticky thread up top, someone posted a dealer code so you can get 10% off their stuff so hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:19 AM

Does anyone know how bad it would be to change it out (~ 4 bottles x $8) to redline ATF as opposed to flushing the entire tranny (~ 8-12 bottles x $8).
Old 10-24-2001, 11:27 AM

I think most places want about $70 to flush/service most transmissions.... So at 8 quarts for $8, we're talking $64 vs $70, and if you do it yourself, you'll be using Redline oil and not whatever the transmission place uses.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:46 PM

Replacing ATF

You can use your own ATF pump to do the complete flush (well, almost). The idea is that fluid goes from the pan to the pump then to torgue converter then through AT itself, then radiator and comes back to the pan. So, you drain the ATF from the pan usual way, refill it with 5-6 qts (slight overfill), then disconnect ATF hose FROM the radiator to transmission and put it into external 4-qts bottle. Start your engine and wait until it fiils that bottle with 4 qts. Then you connect the hose back to tranny and fill it up to neccessary level. This way you'd get rid of 90%+ of your old ATF, I believe. The hose is hold in place by special spring clip and easy to disconnect. I did it on my tranny about 10K ago in favour of Redline ATF. My stock ATF came out quite clean and I didn't really notice any changes in tranny's behaviour. Unfortunately, I can't recall which one of two hoses comes FROM radiator and which one does TO .
Old 10-24-2001, 05:32 PM

Re: Replacing ATF

Originally posted by Max_5gen
You can use your own ATF pump to do the complete flush (well, almost). The idea is that fluid goes from the pan to the pump then to torgue converter then through AT itself, then radiator and comes back to the pan. So, you drain the ATF from the pan usual way, refill it with 5-6 qts (slight overfill), then disconnect ATF hose FROM the radiator to transmission and put it into external 4-qts bottle. Start your engine and wait until it fiils that bottle with 4 qts. Then you connect the hose back to tranny and fill it up to neccessary level. This way you'd get rid of 90%+ of your old ATF, I believe. The hose is hold in place by special spring clip and easy to disconnect. I did it on my tranny about 10K ago in favour of Redline ATF. My stock ATF came out quite clean and I didn't really notice any changes in tranny's behaviour. Unfortunately, I can't recall which one of two hoses comes FROM radiator and which one does TO .
Can you give more details where I ask below or help out with a howto. This is what I get from your explanation, correct me where necessary:

1. fluid flow -> tranny pan -> pump -> torque converter -> auto tranny -> radiator -> tranny pan

2. Drain tranny pan and refill with 5 - 6 qts

3. Disconnect hose from the radiator to tranny (need more details on hose location)

4. Place the hose in a external 4 qts bottle (need hose location, I think this is the same hose in step 3)

5. Start the engine and let 4 qts drain into the bottle (don't shift gears I assume and if I can add only 2 qts left in the tranny if I poured 6 qts in)

6. Reconnect hose and fill tranny (approximately another 2 - 3 qts I assume)
Old 10-24-2001, 09:45 PM

Re: Re: Replacing ATF

Originally posted by woosh

Can you give more details where I ask below or help out with a howto. This is what I get from your explanation, correct me where necessary:

1. fluid flow -> tranny pan -> pump -> torque converter -> auto tranny -> radiator -> tranny pan
If I recall correctly; most important part is that ATF goes from tranny's pan to the pump and then through everithing in it in secuence then comes out to radiator and then goes back to the pan.

2. Drain tranny pan and refill with 5 - 6 qts
- correct

3. Disconnect hose from the radiator to tranny (need more details on hose location)
There are two hoses(lets call them stock) one goes from tranny to the radiator and another from radiator to the tranny from the ATF flow point of view. Both located beside each other on the top of the tranny and can be reached from the opened hood. They're hold by spring clips which allow you to disconnect them quite easily - just squeeze clip's ends together and slide it back along the hose.

4. Place the hose in a external 4 qts bottle (need hose location, I think this is the same hose in step 3)
Well, you need to buy two additional clear hoses with proper diameter and funnel to perform this procedure. When you disconnect one of stock hoses from the tranny you extend it with additional one and put free end into that bottle. Use another additional hose to extend tranny's end of connection to the same bottle. Then you perform a short test - start the engine and look which hose ATF is coming from. If it's coming from the stock hose extension - you're lucky and just continue drain thouse 4 qts, if from tranny's extension - you're not lucky and you picked wrong stock hose - reconnect it back and do the same with another one. The idea is to have ATF drained through radiator to get rid of the old ATF left there.

5. Start the engine and let 4 qts drain into the bottle (don't shift gears I assume and if I can add only 2 qts left in the tranny if I poured 6 qts in)
I actually found this description on Maxima NG and guy recommended to put the car on the handbrake and shift it couple times into "D" and "R". I did it in my case - just don't increase throttle. The tranny has 8 qts capacity and at the end of this stage you'll be about 2 qts short - there will be 6 qts left in the tranny/radiator etc, just don't overdrain it. When you drained 4 qts from the pan (through the drain plug on step 2) there were still 4 qts left and this procedure supposed to get rid of most of that. If you like, you can shut the engine, refill and drain again.

6. Reconnect hose and fill tranny (approximately another 2 - 3 qts I assume)
Yes, you're right - but this time use the ATF stick to check the level - it has special marks. BTW, the steel pipe for the stick is also used as refill hole, it took me some time to figure that out . Disconnect/connect process causes some ATF spillage, I used paper towel to absorb.
Old 12-26-2001, 05:07 PM

anyone else done this?????
Old 01-11-2002, 02:07 PM

fluid change.

Here is the easy , economical way , that is good enough according to my mechanic.
Drain from the pan. You only get about 3 litres out cause most of it stays in the torque converter. Then add 3 quarts to re fill.
Since the total capacity is about 9 litres you now have a 33% new
and 66% old mixture. Drive the car for a while - say 100 miles( a few days). Then drain out 3 more litres from the pan. Replace with 3 new
litres. According to my math the second drain only looses one litre of the new stuff that went in before. So now you have 5 litres of fresh and 4 litres of old. Not all that satisfying so - drive a while again. Then repeat the drain again. This time you will loose a little more than 1 1/2 litres of new fluid. Add 3 more new. The total
now comes to 6 1/2 new and 2 1/2 old.

All this takes 9 litres of fresh fluid ( the total tranny capacity ) and you end up with 72% new fluid. The driving between drains kinda acts like a flush.

The much more expensive way with shops and pumping machines etc.
will still take 9 fresh litres but give you about 95% new fluid.
And you risk the tranny starting to give probs cause you flushed out the gunk in the holes.

The do it yourself method with repeated drains saves a lot o money
and if you use high quality fluid , a 72% exchange is pretty good unless you pulling 1200 pound trailers around or doing repeated 0 to 60 testing.

Hope this helps the DIYs. Dont support the shop rip you off racket!