5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TSB's? How to deal with Service Dept.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM

TSB's? How to deal with Service Dept.

I'm a noob here and have done a lot of reading. The first thing I found interesting were "Recalls/TSB's"

I understand that if there is an official "Recall" the dealer should fix the problem at no cost to the owner of the vehicle.

The thing that I am unclear about is some of these TSB's I've read up on regarding my 2002 Maxima SE 6spd.

I have a few issues that have been identified

- wind noise rear door windows.
- Bose left speakers work/don't work (I noticed that sometimes when I brake hard the left speakers stop working, then start to work again when I accelerate.
- Engine Cover Logo (mine is not looking too good)
- some engine sensor was mentioned (can't remember the exact one)
- front suspension component mentioned as a precautionary replacement

just to quickly name a few

These "TSB's" are these issues that the dealer will fix for me at no cost? Or is this just a way for them to send info to the dealers on what are the most common issues with certain models and how to fix it?

I no longer have any warranty on my car since its a 2002 and its almost 2008.

Also, I live in Canada, are the TSB's universal to the US and Canada in most cases?

I realize that there are some US specific such as the odometer in the US racking up mileage as if its km...anyways...

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated...I love this site, so much info and so many beautiful Maximas out there...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

TSB's are generally covered if you are still under the Nissan warranty (3yr 36K or 4yr 50K powertrain), or if you have an extended warranty. If you are out of warranty then you'll have to fork out the cash to get the TSB's fixed. Only recalls are fixed for free.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by maximadave
TSB's are generally covered if you are still under the Nissan warranty (3yr 36K or 4yr 50K powertrain), or if you have an extended warranty. If you are out of warranty then you'll have to fork out the cash to get the TSB's fixed. Only recalls are fixed for free.

Well I guess then I'm out of luck...oh well...I figured I'd ask, I'll have to look for any recalls and have those taken care of then.

As for the TSB's I'll have to get the excessive wind noise issue dealt with first...see about the rest...

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by mikek78
Well I guess then I'm out of luck...oh well...I figured I'd ask, I'll have to look for any recalls and have those taken care of then.

As for the TSB's I'll have to get the excessive wind noise issue dealt with first...see about the rest...

Thanks for the quick reply.

You can check out some of the links here in the 5th gen forums about the wind noise. Some peeps have taken care of it on their own.

The only major recall that was done on the 5.5 gens was the crank and cam position sensor. I don't remember any others if anybody wants to chime in and list more...
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM

You can check out some of the links here in the 5th gen forums about the wind noise. Some peeps have taken care of it on their own.

The only major recall that was done on the 5.5 gens was the crank and cam position sensor. I don't remember any others if anybody wants to chime in and list more...
Good look with the CPS, I have the problem in the recall, guess what, magically, according to the dealer and nissan USA my car is not affected, I filed a complaint with Nissan North America, and if I don't hear from them in a few days, I think I'm gonna try to get a lawyer or something.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I think the CPS only affected certain vin #'s....
Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the parts for the wind noise TSB yourself (about $10 from Nissan-Part numbers are in the TSB) It's not hard to put the spacers in if you follow the instructions in the TSB. It helped mine quite a bit, but did not totally eliminate the noise.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 PM

My VIN number is a 1000 off from the affected range... no joke
Old 12-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by tonyw
Get the parts for the wind noise TSB yourself (about $10 from Nissan-Part numbers are in the TSB) It's not hard to put the spacers in if you follow the instructions in the TSB. It helped mine quite a bit, but did not totally eliminate the noise.
Can maximaDave verify that these parts are only $10? I definitely have some unpleasant wind noise.

But more unpleasant it what was mentioned about the Left side of the speakers cutting in and out with braking, acceleration, and bumps as well! But the 6-disc changer is garbage too, so I'm hoping to replace the whole system!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
Can maximaDave verify that these parts are only $10? I definitely have some unpleasant wind noise.

But more unpleasant it what was mentioned about the Left side of the speakers cutting in and out with braking, acceleration, and bumps as well! But the 6-disc changer is garbage too, so I'm hoping to replace the whole system!
I don't work for Nissan, so I can't verify it's $10.00 there is a tsb out for the audio cutout

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-017.pdf
Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 PM

I don't work for Nissan, so I can't verify it's $10.00 there is a tsb out for the audio cutout

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-017.pdf
But that TSB will not do me any good without a warranty. I, obviously do not have one of those. lol
Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

But that TSB will not do me any good without a warranty. I, obviously do not have one of those. lol
buy the part from Nissan and do it yourself
Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM

buy a new headunit? thats what the service bulletin says to do...
Old 12-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Cletus

recall - safety related, released to public, covered no matter what
TSB - not safety related, intended for dealership to assist in helping with known problem, only covered by warranty
Old 12-04-2007, 06:14 PM

buy a new headunit? thats what the service bulletin says to do...

I'm going to start putting all this stuff together and start calling about these parts to see what each issue is going to cost to fix (in parts at least)...then go from there...

hmmm...does anyone have all the TSB's and recalls that I could print out myself...when I went to the actual Nissan website they only mention the TSB reference, but the actual TSB is only available if you are registered, (hence pay them) and login.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by mikek78
hmmm...does anyone have all the TSB's and recalls that I could print out myself...
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb...=2002&tsb=none
Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 AM

What is the ParT???

buy the part from Nissan and do it yourself
Any way to know what part is needed, if not the entire deck (which is also junk) in my opinion??!!