5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need feedback on my alignment report

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need feedback on my alignment report

i got myself an alignment from tires plus.... 3 year unlimited one...

i had uneven tire wear on my rear right tire... the insides would wear out

and this morning i hit a curb really hard... messed up a tire (bulge)... so i decided to finally go in and get the alignment..

here are the results..

under rear right.... for the TOE... its not with the specified range at all... and the guy said
"oh its fine... the tech ofset the other side... so it should be even"

i have no idea... what that means... but sounds sketchy to me...

if anything else looks sketchy ... please point it out for me.... thanks..

here is a direct link.... its a ****ty scan....i dont have a pdf creator.... but if u save the file... and zoom in... you can see it nice and clear.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65...EALIGNMENT.jpg
Old 12-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Your left front camber is out of spec which would have caused your toe to be out. Your rear is in spec, -.13 to .22 is spec and yours is almost perfect straight at .03. They done what is called set the toe and let her go. It is the fastest way to make money on an alignment machine and it is what most will do. There is no adjustment on the rear unless you use shims which they didn't, the difference in the right side toe can be caused by the ramp going up and down.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Do you have a pic of the tire? Was the tire worn before it was put on the back?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by nlmaxima
Your left front camber is out of spec which would have caused your toe to be out. Your rear is in spec, -.13 to .22 is spec and yours is almost perfect straight at .03. They done what is called set the toe and let her go. It is the fastest way to make money on an alignment machine and it is what most will do. There is no adjustment on the rear unless you use shims which they didn't, the difference in the right side toe can be caused by the ramp going up and down.

Ok ... you said that my rear is in spec..... but then why the un even wear?.... my friend watched my rear tire... while i drove away... and he swore that it was a bit slanted... putting more weight on the inside of the rear right tire... which is exactly where the wear is.

and i dont understand most of what you have said.... but to make things simple... is there anything more i can do?... by taking it back to them... or are things pretty much set here?... even though they used the "fastest method" .... Can i ask them to use shims.... w.o having to pay more?...
Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM

Do you have a pic of the tire? Was the tire worn before it was put on the back?

the tire is what i bought the car with.... i first thought it was because that set used to be in the front or something...

but like i said in my earlier post... my friend claimed he saw the tire with wear to be slightly slanted when he saw me drive off...

but ill get a pic in a bit of both tires.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 PM

The slant you are referring to is the amount of camber and it is in spec. There is nothing you could do to make the back better then what it is, if it is in spec that is what you want. I would say the tire wear was caused by the front. Your rear readings were all excellent and they are still excellent in the back. Like I noted the left front camber was out of spec and it still is out of spec, they didn't correct the problem although it is only out of spec by 0.1. Bad tire balance on the rear can cause the tire to sort of bounce as the car is moving at speed and will cause uneven wear.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:27 PM

The slant you are referring to is the amount of camber and it is in spec. There is nothing you could do to make the back better then what it is, if it is in spec that is what you want. I would say the tire wear was caused by the front. Your rear readings were all excellent and they are still excellent in the back. Like I noted the left front camber was out of spec and it still is out of spec, they didn't correct the problem although it is only out of spec by 0.1. Bad tire balance on the rear can cause the tire to sort of bounce as the car is moving at speed and will cause uneven wear.

ok... thankyou... so what they have done is the "set the toe and let her go" right?... is it that much harder to adjust the camber back to spec?.... will this .1 make a difference?...

i thought it was fishy when the car finished my car in 20min... i though tthat was a little too quick.. .
Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM

If you have stock struts it may be a bit of work to adjust camber but if you have aftermarket struts on the front then you would loosen the two strut bolts on the base of the strut and pull on it a bit. Don't try this yourself, it is best to do it on an alignment machine and the toe would have to be adjusted afterwards. The fact is you alignment is in good shape now but they should have tried to adjust the camber.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 PM

If you have stock struts it may be a bit of work to adjust camber but if you have aftermarket struts on the front then you would loosen the two strut bolts on the base of the strut and pull on it a bit. Don't try this yourself, it is best to do it on an alignment machine and the toe would have to be adjusted afterwards. The fact is you alignment is in good shape now but they should have tried to adjust the camber.
]

yea... they are on stock everything.... well.. i dont plan on doing anything myself...

i was planning taking it back...and make them do it...

at these places that give out a printed report and such... could they trick the customer if they wanted?... by not doing the actual work... and print up a report that shows it has been done...

i just dont wanna have to take it back... and have them pull a BS fast one on me...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM

Yes, it is possible to get good after numbers without doing anything to the car. Just by changing air pressure in a tire you can change the camber reading.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM

alignments basically correct the toe, camber is not often corrected unless its a super easy job for them. your toe is all in spec, even your left from tire is not too bad on the camber, i woudlnt worry about it.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Yes, it is possible to get good after numbers without doing anything to the car. Just by changing air pressure in a tire you can change the camber reading.

When should i take the car back in?... it might be in my head... but if feel like the car is out of alignment again... on the highway... it turns to one side if i let go of the wheel...

not sure if i broke something when i went over that curb at 35-40mph... and now it wont hold the alignment....