5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

metal clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 AM

metal clunking noise

I was driving and I heard a clunking noise. For about a week I thought it was just my exaust pipe because it clunks everytime I make a hard left turn. Today I had my wife drive about 5-7 mph (because thats when you hear the clunking sound), I stood outside while she drove and ran behind the car and I heard it coming from the rear left wheel. I went home and jacked that side up and spun the wheel and what do you know there was the sound. Can anyone out there let me know what this could be? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by djcallao
I was driving and I heard a clunking noise. For about a week I thought it was just my exaust pipe because it clunks everytime I make a hard left turn. Today I had my wife drive about 5-7 mph (because thats when you hear the clunking sound), I stood outside while she drove and ran behind the car and I heard it coming from the rear left wheel. I went home and jacked that side up and spun the wheel and what do you know there was the sound. Can anyone out there let me know what this could be? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Could be the CV joint
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 AM

the first thing you look for when a clunking noise occurs during turns is .. axles.. they might have gone bad..
however, no worries.. instead of paying arm and leg at leader.. you can purchase it at Autozone for a very good price.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Cletus

get raxles (like irish)

http://www.raxles.com/JoshHickey.aspx
Old 12-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is the noise coming from the left rear wheel? If yes: is there any play in the wheel if you shake it by grabbing top and bottom and also try left and right. If you have play replace wheel bearing if no play check your brake pads and caliper operation. It could also be rust build up on your rotor or dust shield touching the rotor.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

Yeah it is coming from my left rear wheel. I appreciate everyones input but it is not the axles. I said REAR left wheel to begin with. I just replaced both sides axles with raxles about 2 months ago. There is no play in the wheel and My brake pads and rotors are brand new and freshly replaced.

Originally Posted by nlmaxima
Is the noise coming from the left rear wheel? If yes: is there any play in the wheel if you shake it by grabbing top and bottom and also try left and right. If you have play replace wheel bearing if no play check your brake pads and caliper operation. It could also be rust build up on your rotor or dust shield touching the rotor.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

May sound simple, but have you made sure your lug nuts are tight? If they aren't, they will definitely make a clunking sound. They don't even had to be very loose. Very easy thing to either correct or eliminate as a cause.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM

.You have a clean max bro. Thanks for the input. I'll try it.

Originally Posted by Scottwax
May sound simple, but have you made sure your lug nuts are tight? If they aren't, they will definitely make a clunking sound. They don't even had to be very loose. Very easy thing to either correct or eliminate as a cause.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
Could be the CV joint
in the rear? orly O_O
Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM
DasYears

Originally Posted by soonerfan
didnt know they made center beams for the max