5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BAD PRESS for the 2k+ Nissan Maxima...in tuner mags...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 09:11 PM
My 4DSC

After being truly disappointed by the article on JWT's turbocharged Maxima in the recent "Sport Compact Car" magazine...I took another trip to Barnes & Nobles tonight..

Picked up the December 2k issue of Turbo Magazine...
This issue they're testing their project Maxima with a ZEX nitrous kit...
AGAIN...Results were VERY disappointing in my opinion:

Baseline dyno: 194.2 HP
ZEX kit dyno: 220.1 HP

A 2000 Maxima w/ intake, exhaust and a nitrous kit should be making a hell of a lot more than 25hp over stock!!

What's the deal with these SO-CALLED aftermarket tuned Maxima's I've been seeing in the magazines all over the place?!?!?!

** We've got a JWT turbocharged 2000 Maxima running 10psi that only runs 2/10ths faster than my STOCK 2k Maxima!!
(as seen in Sport Compact Car magazine)

** We've got a ZEX nitrous 2000 Maxima w/ intake and exhaust that only makes 25hp over stock!!
(as seen in Turbo & Hi-Tech magazine)

What's next? A fully built Maxima running twin turbo's and nitrous that's only running low 14's?!?!?!

JEEZ! These tuners are making a laughing stock out of us!

I know the Max has got ALOT more potential than these so-called "tuners" have been putting to press. But maybe that's a good thing...I've always liked being considered the underdog.

Old 11-02-2000, 09:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I've read and have all those mags you're talking about. Sucks, but oh well... we'll just make them think we're slow. Then... <font size=7>BAM</font>... see our tails.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC
After being truly disappointed by the article on JWT's turbocharged Maxima in the recent "Sport Compact Car" magazine...I took another trip to Barnes & Nobles tonight..

Picked up the December 2k issue of Turbo Magazine...
This issue they're testing their project Maxima with a ZEX nitrous kit...
AGAIN...Results were VERY disappointing in my opinion:

Baseline dyno: 194.2 HP
ZEX kit dyno: 220.1 HP

A 2000 Maxima w/ intake, exhaust and a nitrous kit should be making a hell of a lot more than 25hp over stock!!

What's the deal with these SO-CALLED aftermarket tuned Maxima's I've been seeing in the magazines all over the place?!?!?!

** We've got a JWT turbocharged 2000 Maxima running 10psi that only runs 2/10ths faster than my STOCK 2k Maxima!!
(as seen in Sport Compact Car magazine)

** We've got a ZEX nitrous 2000 Maxima w/ intake and exhaust that only makes 25hp over stock!!
(as seen in Turbo & Hi-Tech magazine)

What's next? A fully built Maxima running twin turbo's and nitrous that's only running low 14's?!?!?!

JEEZ! These tuners are making a laughing stock out of us!

I know the Max has got ALOT more potential than these so-called "tuners" have been putting to press. But maybe that's a good thing...I've always liked being considered the underdog.
About that NOS kit was it a dry or wet kit? What kind of increases in torque did the car see? I might just go get that mag just to see the article. Remember the 5th makes its power in the highend, where as the 4th gens are more midranged biased. I'm sure with the 50 shot they gained around 40-60lb-ft of torque right? As for the JWT turbo car SCC had to launch in 2nd gear because of the slipping stock clutch. Even then based on the torque curve it won't be faster than stillen's supercharged pace car. That car put down 305hp at the wheels in an earlier SCC mag. IMHO the supercharger is the only way to go. Did you know to even use a turbo kit you have to rewire the entire car so you can use a 95 ECU. The estimate for that is around $6k+ and it doesn't even perform better than the supercharger.
Old 11-03-2000, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

About that NOS kit was it a dry or wet kit? What kind of increases in torque did the car see? I might just go get that mag just to see the article. Remember the 5th makes its power in the highend, where as the 4th gens are more midranged biased. I'm sure with the 50 shot they gained around 40-60lb-ft of torque right? [/I]
The Nitrous kit was from ZEX and is dry type system. I remember the reported torque increase. Something wasnt quite right with that setup. With a true 55 shot, power at the wheels should have jumped to around 235ish.

Also, as far as powerbands...

Any dyno plot I have ever seen shows the 4g and 5g engines to be almost identical in the low and midrange. Pretty much no distinction. The only difference is after 5000 rpm when the manifold flap opens on the 5g and gives the added top end. There really isnt any tradeoff, or loss, on the lowend.
Old 11-03-2000, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Id say nissan did something

to make the car emissions wise to not let the car go so fast or computer wise to help maintain as much restriction as possible. I bet if some one cracked the codes to it, thered be a big difference.
Old 11-03-2000, 08:23 AM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

About that NOS kit was it a dry or wet kit? What kind of increases in torque did the car see? I might just go get that mag just to see the article. Remember the 5th makes its power in the highend, where as the 4th gens are more midranged biased. I'm sure with the 50 shot they gained around 40-60lb-ft of torque right? As for the JWT turbo car SCC had to launch in 2nd gear because of the slipping stock clutch. Even then based on the torque curve it won't be faster than stillen's supercharged pace car. That car put down 305hp at the wheels in an earlier SCC mag. IMHO the supercharger is the only way to go. Did you know to even use a turbo kit you have to rewire the entire car so you can use a 95 ECU. The estimate for that is around $6k+ and it doesn't even perform better than the supercharger.
Yes, I've talked to the guys at JWT and I know that you have to rewire the car to 95 ECU status. Sorry but that wont cost anywhere near $6k+ like you say. All you need is a 95 ECU ($150) and a 95 Maxima wiring harness ($400). Then you just spend a little time trimming the harness to make everything work...I did the same thing on a 2000 honda civic that we converted back to 1995 OBDI...isn't too difficult. Be that as it may...I would probably save myself the trouble and just pick up an AFTERMARKET engine management system such as DFI ($1100) or something similar so i could tune the FU@K outta my Max (if i go the turbo route...which i plan to).