5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to install a UDP on a 5th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 10:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to install a UDP on a 5th gen?

Guess what 'ol Dixit here finally got a freagin UDP. I bought it off a fellow 4th gen Owner, I know it will fit since they both got the same part#s on UR's website.

Now I just want to know if anyone got 5th gen specific install writeup on this? I found a 4th gen one HERE

I also wanted to know if I needed to get this "SEAL" they were talking about. And do I REALLY need the Gates belts? Cause this guy who I bought it from did it with his stock belts. If I do, what the Part #s? They the same for the 4th gen? If so I got the part #s for the 4th gen Gates belts.

Man Am I excited,

PS, UMD_MaxSE should we do this one too along with the springs?

Dixit
Old 10-27-2001, 10:36 PM

yes you need the seal..and the procedure is IDENTICAL to the 4th gen...same engine....same process..just like an oil change

You really should get the gates belts...I have them...and I don't know how I would have gotten it to work with the stock belts.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:05 AM

Do I still need the seal even if my car only got 4k miles on it? Some people where saying with that low mileage not needed
Old 10-28-2001, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Do I still need the seal even if my car only got 4k miles on it? Some people where saying with that low mileage not needed
I really don't see why you would need a seal with 4K miles. When installing the UDP you do not even touch the crank seal, so I don't see what the big deal is with replacing it. I replaced mine because I have 100K miles on my max and I figured it would be a lot easier to replace it while the UDP was off rather then get stuck with a oil leak in a few years and have to take the pulley off again.

So in short, don't worry about it .
Old 10-28-2001, 05:57 AM
Got Bent?

Yeah, we can try and do this install also I got mine put on at a shop since I didn't have the time to do it myself.... but I'd be happy to help you out with it. As for the seal, I didn't get a new one. You only have 4k miles on it, so you don't need a new one. You should go ahead and get a set of gates belts... the numbers should be listed on the instruction sheet.....
Old 10-28-2001, 06:06 AM
nc00max

It's kind of a PITA if you don't have the right tools. I went out and bought a gear puller, and my dad decided he needed a new impact wrench when we tried to do mine. As it happens, not knowing the belt tensioner was reversed caused us to break it and replacing that wasn't something I was going to try to do myself. The shop I went to charged me $106 for the tensioner replacement, UDP install and even an oil change, and the guy let me watch him do it. I would recommend getting the Gates belts since I don't see how the stock belts are going to fit on a smaller pulley.

Old 10-28-2001, 06:18 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by nc00max
It's kind of a PITA if you don't have the right tools. I went out and bought a gear puller, and my dad decided he needed a new impact wrench when we tried to do mine. As it happens, not knowing the belt tensioner was reversed caused us to break it and replacing that wasn't something I was going to try to do myself. The shop I went to charged me $106 for the tensioner replacement, UDP install and even an oil change, and the guy let me watch him do it. I would recommend getting the Gates belts since I don't see how the stock belts are going to fit on a smaller pulley.
yeah, those tensioners are tricky...

hey, do you want to come up to the area and help us out with these installs? I don't know when it's going to happen, but if you have the time, it would be cool
Old 10-28-2001, 06:33 AM
nc00max

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

yeah, those tensioners are tricky...

hey, do you want to come up to the area and help us out with these installs? I don't know when it's going to happen, but if you have the time, it would be cool
I don't know how much help I'd be, but I would be more than happy to. My Navy schedule is a little more stringent now, so we're still looking at weekends only, and the ship gets underway from Nov. 5 till the 16th. Next Sunday would actually be the best day...Let me know when y'all feel like doing it though, and I'll see what I can do. The more notice, the better...

Old 10-28-2001, 07:06 AM
Got Bent?

I don't know how much help I'd be, but I would be more than happy to. My Navy schedule is a little more stringent now, so we're still looking at weekends only, and the ship gets underway from Nov. 5 till the 16th. Next Sunday would actually be the best day...Let me know when y'all feel like doing it though, and I'll see what I can do. The more notice, the better...
sounds cool..... when things are finalized, we will let you know.... when it comes to installing the more the better
Old 10-28-2001, 07:42 AM
nc00max

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

sounds cool..... when things are finalized, we will let you know.... when it comes to installing the more the better
Sounds good. Hopefully Sunday will be good for both of ya, else I think I'm out. I'll bring the gear puller...

Old 10-28-2001, 10:11 AM

The belt tensioner is actually really easy to replace. All there is- is 2 12mm bolts. Also, there is no need for a gear puller, my pulley came off my 95 with 0 effort.

Good luck guys .
Old 10-28-2001, 10:52 AM
nc00max

Originally posted by emax95

The belt tensioner is actually really easy to replace. All there is- is 2 12mm bolts. Also, there is no need for a gear puller, my pulley came off my 95 with 0 effort.

Good luck guys .
We didn't have the gear puller at first, but their was no way in hell that sucker was coming off without one. I think I still have the scars...you're right about the tensioner though, but for whatever reason it didn't look like something I wanted to try after the UDP fiasco. But it was pretty easy to take off for the mechanic once he had it on the lift.

Old 10-28-2001, 11:08 AM

We didn't have the gear puller at first, but their was no way in hell that sucker was coming off without one. I think I still have the scars...you're right about the tensioner though, but for whatever reason it didn't look like something I wanted to try after the UDP fiasco. But it was pretty easy to take off for the mechanic once he had it on the lift.
hmm.. thats weird about you needing a gear puller. I guess maybe the older the car is easier the pulley comes off? Usually it's the other way around, my pulley came off with no effort.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:29 AM

can you break it down for a newbie: the UDP give you more HP, right? And you need to replace your belts. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced? How much are the belts/pulley? WHat gain in HP you get?
Old 10-28-2001, 11:41 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
can you break it down for a newbie: the UDP give you more HP, right? And you need to replace your belts. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced? How much are the belts/pulley? WHat gain in HP you get?
The UDP actually frees up HP that was once being used my the power steering, alternator, etc.. It replaces the stock crank pulley with a lighter, and slightly smaller one. It probably gives you a few hp. I have noticed that the engine revs up a bit quicker down from the lower rpm range. You need new belts since the pulley is a little bit smaller. I got my pulley brand new with belts for $200 shipped....
Old 10-28-2001, 08:08 PM

Look at the attached pic!

to help with your belts.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:15 PM

Look at the attached pic!

to help with your belts.