5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Strange noise when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Strange noise when turning right

I own a 2k1 maxima GLE with stock wheels and perelli tires. Not all the time, but some of the time, and almost always when it rains I hear a strange noise coming from the front right side of my car when i turn right. I do not hear the noise turning left. The noise starts as soon as I barely turn my wheel to the right, its not as if it only occurs when making sharp turns. It's not constant, its kind of a mur-mur-mur When I first heard it I thought "rubbing" but i don''t think ive ever been in a car that had wheel rubbing, nor should I have it with stock size wheels, and it doesnt really make sense that it would rub even when i only slightly turn to the right.

Any idea what this is?

Also, since I bought the car 2 months ago the owner told me that there was a slightly odd motion about the brakes. He said he recently had a $600 brake job, which sounds a little strange, what with the brakes could cost that much money? He was an wealthy senior owner, so maybe he just gets overcharged and got a poor brake job but let me know what you think. The best explanation I can give of the problem is this: It's somewhat hard to notice when driving around town normally until I tell whoevers riding passenger to pay more attention to the momentum of our stop, rather than listening for funny noises or anything else... The momentum of the stop happens kind of in chunks rather than smooth and steady. If i'm only going 15 or 20 mph and I brake, theres only about 2 or 3 barely noticeable slow chunks of momentum as i come to a stop. The faster i'm going when I brake, the more chunks there are. When at high speed, the chunks also happen much quicker, and are much rougher, creating a sort of vibration sometimes making it hard to grip the stearing wheel (but thats at high freeway speeds).

Any feedback on this problem would be appreciated as well,

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like a warped rotor or a stuck caliper?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Wheel bearing or bad strut?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Cletus

wheel bearing or cv joint
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Regarding your first problem, similar thing started happening on my 2001 Maxima after I hit a curb. The mechanic told me my wheel bearing was defective and I wound up replacing the front axle. No problems after the repair.

Regarding your rotors, you need to consult a mechanic to see if they can be shaved down or need to be replaced.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 PM

how much does a fix like that cost ?

but the brake problem is deffinately my rotors huh?
any chance I should just replace them rather than getting them shaved?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 AM

You ran over a squirrel.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 AM

wtf
Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

-I would first check the clearence inside the wheel well, look at the plastic splash guards all around in there, make sure one of them isnt moving around.

-If it was your CV joint it would be a thunk-thunk-thunk as you turn either direction

-it does sounds kinda like a caliper/disk issue, if dude u bought it from spent alot of $ on a brake job, he probably replaced all the pads, and one or two of the disks (easy $600 at dealership) so he may have driven around on extremely worn pads and disks, in which case he may have caused damage to the piston/caliper like heat deformity --> SO it could be that your piston in that caliper is not fully retracting and causing excessive rubbing, possibly causing warped disks/uneven wear

-I would take it to a mechanic you trust to get the brakes checked out, if the disks are warped, I would just replace them (the front one at least) I got new disks from NAPA for $21 each

-if your caliper is messed up somehow, i would get one from a junk yard

Hope this helps
Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 PM

damn maybe messed up that bad eh?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 PM

The noise I heard while turning right in the rain (and occasionally not in the rain) got worse these past two days. Today when I got in my car at 7:45 the noise started up real bad as I was pulling away from my house, and as I drove slow through my neighborhood so my car could warm up the noise continued. It went on almost no matter which way or how hard I turned my steering wheel, although the noise wasn't completely constant, although almost always going, it would get louder and softer as I did certain things (braking, turning harder or softer etc.) The noise stopped just a bit after I got out of my neighborhood onto a major street. Keep in mind, the car was cold, thats why I was taking it easy. I don't start my car in the morning before I leave in the winter, I'm too lazy. Any idea what this could be with this information?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

did you ever figure out what it was?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:05 PM

wheel bearing..ruined some of my axel too, cost me a new one.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn... My noise sounds just like that. Its scary sounding when its wet although today when I took it into the shop it didnt make a sound. I asked if its my bearings and i was told that if my bearings were bad it would show up in an alignment. Who knows. Also I was told if the bearings are bad the noise would be there when im driving straight and would get worse as the car warms up. When i drive the car it also feels like there is a lot of squeeking noise from the fromt passenger wheel while going over small bumbs. Anyone have words of wisdom

How much did it cost to have your axel replaced?

Last edited by docuk22; 04-09-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Wow, this is awesome. I haven't checked this site out in years, but its nice to see that everyone is still having this same problem. I've had this problem since I bought my Max in 02 NEW. I have had everything replaced from struts to the stearing column in attempts to fix this issue. I've even lubed everything I can find on the car. The only thing I haven't replaced are the Sway Bar Link Bushings, which from what I hear have solved this problem for others. You may want to look into this first since its only a $12 part. Keeps us posted, I'll check back in a couple more years to see if its been resolved.