5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HLSD Availability for 2k2, and fair prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 04:00 PM

HLSD Availability for 2k2, and fair prices

Just stopped by the Nissan dealer down the road from work, and test drove the six-speed. I had already made up my mind I wanted one before I got there, so we went back into the office to discuss price. He came out with MSRP, of course, and I told him I would pay $27.5k for an SE with the six speed, leather, Meridian package, sunroof, side impact airbags, Bose upgrade, floor mats, 4 piece splash guards, the wind deflector for the sunroof, HLSD, and the drilled metal pedals. Basically, every available option for the SE except for the navigation system. Plus, I told him I wanted to make sure they didn't put a dealer badge on the car, I hate those things.

Well, the salesman accepted the deal since I said if he did, I'd put the order in today. Then he got to wondering about the HLSD availability, and supposedly went to talk to a service guy and determined that it wasn't even going to be available this model year. I didn't necessarily believe him, but it gave me a chance to chip away at the price a bit and it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. Now we were down to $27.2k

We got all the way through filling out the credit app (he'd made the requisite couple of trips to the sales manager to pretend to be pleading my case on various issues I was making him put in writing), and suddenly he comes back and says that had had forgotten to include the leather package in the quote, and that the price would jump to $29.5. This after me having been in the office for about an hour, of course, attempting to make me agree so that I wouldn't feel my time was wasted.

At any rate, I told him $27.5k was the limit, and he brought the manager in for the high-pressure tactics. After 15 or so minutes with him attempting to make me feel bad for making such a crappy offer, and how could they pay the bills making so little money, and guaranteeing me that nobody else in town would accept my offer, etc., I finally gave up and said adios, he came down to $28.1k as his final offer. The sales manager's parting shot was that if I came back after shopping around, he would beat whatever price I got elsewhere.

So, first off....does anyone have any information on the HLSD availability? Is it still just 'late', or is it now nonexistant as the salesperson wanted me to believe? Secondly, has anyone else in my area (Colorado) bought a similar car and what did you pay? Thirdly, does my price seem fair (I know this varies by region)? I'm going to shop around now, but I don't want to spend an hour and a half in every dealership if I'm lowballing a bit too far than can be reasonably expected.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:34 PM

Re: HLSD Availability for 2k2, and fair prices

Originally posted by Chance
Just stopped by the Nissan dealer down the road from work, and test drove the six-speed. I had already made up my mind I wanted one before I got there, so we went back into the office to discuss price. He came out with MSRP, of course, and I told him I would pay $27.5k for an SE with the six speed, leather, Meridian package, sunroof, side impact airbags, Bose upgrade, floor mats, 4 piece splash guards, the wind deflector for the sunroof, HLSD, and the drilled metal pedals. Basically, every available option for the SE except for the navigation system. Plus, I told him I wanted to make sure they didn't put a dealer badge on the car, I hate those things.

Well, the salesman accepted the deal since I said if he did, I'd put the order in today. Then he got to wondering about the HLSD availability, and supposedly went to talk to a service guy and determined that it wasn't even going to be available this model year. I didn't necessarily believe him, but it gave me a chance to chip away at the price a bit and it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. Now we were down to $27.2k

We got all the way through filling out the credit app (he'd made the requisite couple of trips to the sales manager to pretend to be pleading my case on various issues I was making him put in writing), and suddenly he comes back and says that had had forgotten to include the leather package in the quote, and that the price would jump to $29.5. This after me having been in the office for about an hour, of course, attempting to make me agree so that I wouldn't feel my time was wasted.

At any rate, I told him $27.5k was the limit, and he brought the manager in for the high-pressure tactics. After 15 or so minutes with him attempting to make me feel bad for making such a crappy offer, and how could they pay the bills making so little money, and guaranteeing me that nobody else in town would accept my offer, etc., I finally gave up and said adios, he came down to $28.1k as his final offer. The sales manager's parting shot was that if I came back after shopping around, he would beat whatever price I got elsewhere.

So, first off....does anyone have any information on the HLSD availability? Is it still just 'late', or is it now nonexistant as the salesperson wanted me to believe? Secondly, has anyone else in my area (Colorado) bought a similar car and what did you pay? Thirdly, does my price seem fair (I know this varies by region)? I'm going to shop around now, but I don't want to spend an hour and a half in every dealership if I'm lowballing a bit too far than can be reasonably expected.
Hey, someone reply to this guy. I'd like to know too.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HLSD availability.

Your dealer is full of...
It still is 12/01 (december) production.
What the heck is he trying to do, sell you one of his car on the lot?!
Old 10-30-2001, 06:01 AM

There seems to be regional differences in Maxima pricing and I can not speek to CO. margins. If you go to www.kbb.com you can get the invoice and list to compare. I was able to order a SE 6 sp in August at invoice (WI).
The dealer has my deposit and tries each month to order the car from Nissan. Nissan will not book the order due to the HLSD. We are anticipating that they will accept the order in Nov. for manufacture in Dec.
Good luck!
Old 10-30-2001, 06:58 AM

Ah, that's what I thought, the dealer just didn't want to wait the extra time to get my money. I'll keep that in mind at the next dealer

I'll keep plugging away with an invoice offer, hopefully the dealers around here are starting to get desperate with the tanking economy.

see5, if you don't mind my asking, how much did you put down for a deposit? This dealership was trying to get me to put down $2000, and I'm not really interested in letting them have 2k of my money for the next two or three months until a car meeting my specs could be ordered. I was thinking more along the lines of 1k for a deposit.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:13 AM

Chance,
My deposit is $100. I have done business with this dealer before. I think anything more than an amount that shows you are committed is a way for the dealer to increase margin. If you forfit it is not like the dealer ends up with an car that is a dog on his lot. It is still very early in the 02 sales season.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:58 AM

Great, thanks a bunch. That will help me nail these guys to the wall!
Old 10-30-2001, 11:28 AM

I also want a SE 6-sp. with the HLSD. I talked to a salesguy at the local dealer who was friendly enough, even after I told him I would be soliciting prices on the internet (stoneage.com, autoweb, etc.). I did say I'd give him a shot to match any price. He told me to give him a call when I decided on the options I wanted. That evening, I decided I wanted no additional options, and submitted email requests for prices to three or four places. I got hold of the sales guy the next day on the phone. He said, "I'm busy with something right now. I'll call you back." (Six days later, I'm still waiting.) That same day (a week ago today) I got email replies from two Nissan dealers, one of which is my local dealer (which apparently is the dealer used in my area for two different web referral sites). The email from my local dealer gave the name of a woman who would be my contact. Another email came from the next-nearest dealer, with the name of a person there who would be my contact. Both people left messages for me on the phone the following day. I returned the calls on Thursday morning and told 'em both the same thing: It's a clean deal--cash, and no trade-in. (My teenage daughter will get my '91 SE w/201,000 miles on the clock). Since the price for the HLSD is not yet set, I said I'd split the difference between invoice and MSRP, whatever it turns out to be.

So--we've had the remainder of Thursday, plus Friday, Saturday (let's not count Sunday), Monday, and Tuesday past 2 p.m. Still no price from either fathead dealership. I wonder if other dealers would be any better responding about a price on a Passat or a Saab 9-5? I think I'd still want a new Max more.

I am grateful for the info on this thread, though, that Nissan isn't accepting orders for HLSD cars. That may explain why neither dealer has come up with a price.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:41 AM

List price for the HLSD is $399 but invoice should be very close to $350 if it has a similiar margin to the other options.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:41 AM

I've now got a few internet-based quote requests going, we'll see what anybody can come up with. Based on a review of the invoice prices of all the options, and some guesswork on the HLSD, I'm targeting $28.2 as my new offer. This is actually just a tad more than what the local dealership was willing to accept for the car I wanted sans the HLSD, so I think we could have been close to working out a deal except for the deposit they wanted.

I guesstimated the HLSD based on the fact that somewhere I saw $399 quoted as the MSRP on it. I deducted around 13% based on the markup I saw on some of the other options, and came up with around $340 as the invoice price. I have no idea how close this is, but it gave me a semi-intelligent number to work with.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:49 AM

Heh, you must have posted ahead of me by a couple seconds. I'm glad somebody else is coming up with close to what I am for the HLSD price.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:22 PM

I guesstimated the HLSD based on the fact that somewhere I saw $399 quoted as the MSRP on it. I deducted around 13% based on the markup I saw on some of the other options, and came up with around $340 as the invoice price. I have no idea how close this is, but it gave me a semi-intelligent number to work with.
The $399 price for the HLSD option is right on Nissan's own website if you go to the "Design Your Maxima" section and select SE/6spd. To me that seems to be a no-brainer as far as options for the MT go. It's cheap enough that I can't imagine not waiting for it's availability. That's my plan anyway.

This has been the most interesting thread regarding the 6spd SE I've read so far...
Old 10-30-2001, 01:41 PM

Ah, the Nissan site is exactly where I saw it at.

Waiting until December for delivery actually works out better for me. My wife's car isn't paid off until March, and I had originally been planning to wait until then to buy my new car for myself, but I figured it might make sense to go ahead and go for it now while things are slowing down. If I can lock in a price now, and not have to actually start coughing up the down payment and such for another two months, so much the better.

I'm now in a holding pattern along with John, apparently, waiting for somebody to get back to me about prices and getting an order going. I'll keep this thread posted with the details as things progress. I haven't had a new car for myself in 10 years, I'm starting to really look forward to this.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:07 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

27.5 for a SE loaded up is like invoice price. your not gonna get one that low any day. and the hlsd isn't available for a few more months.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:33 PM

Yep, if you check some of my other posts on the thread I'm now targeting $28.2k as my price, and I'd be willing to let them bump me up another $300 if that's what it takes. Based on how close I was to making a deal originally, I'd say that will be enough.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
27.5 for a SE loaded up is like invoice price. your not gonna get one that low any day. and the hlsd isn't available for a few more months.
Carsdirect.com is already selling the Max a few dollars below invoice.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by av_audi

Carsdirect.com is already selling the Max a few dollars below invoice.
I don't see that on carsdirect.com. The carsdirect price is $500 over invoice.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by jkratzer

I don't see that on carsdirect.com. The carsdirect price is $500 over invoice.
Their prices depend on your location/market (the zip code you provide). In the L.A. area, they show something like $20 below invoice. Btwy, I am using the invoice price listed by carsdirect.com, which includes ad fees (not included on typical invoices shown on Edmund's, Yahoo, etc.).
Old 10-30-2001, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by av_audi

Their prices depend on your location/market (the zip code you provide). In the L.A. area, they show something like $20 below invoice. Btwy, I am using the invoice price listed by carsdirect.com, which includes ad fees (not included on typical invoices shown on Edmund's, Yahoo, etc.).
order one from carsdirect and see if they deliver it
Old 10-30-2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

order one from carsdirect and see if they deliver it
Been there, done that.

I wasn't familiar with CarsDirect, so I gave them a shot at it today, but when the guy called me he told me they can't provide for the ordering of a car, they can only search existing dealer inventories. Since the HLSD won't be out for another month or so and is therefore not in any dealer's inventory, they couldn't help me.

Oh, well, I'm trying AutoByTel and one or two others as well.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:17 AM

Been there, done that.

I wasn't familiar with CarsDirect, so I gave them a shot at it today, but when the guy called me he told me they can't provide for the ordering of a car, they can only search existing dealer inventories. Since the HLSD won't be out for another month or so and is therefore not in any dealer's inventory, they couldn't help me.

Oh, well, I'm trying AutoByTel and one or two others as well.
you won;t find any HLSD ones till january. they aren't shipping till december 1st and all the first batch is prolly already sold from bigger dealerships. you might be able to get one in february when they step up HLDS tranny production for the new Z car.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:54 AM

I doubt the first batch is already sold, simply because Nissan isn't even accepting orders for cars with the HLSD yet. If I can get an order placed with a dealership before Nissan itself starts accepting them then I should stand just as much of a chance as anyone as getting one out of the initial batch, as long as the dealership I go through doesn't already have a ton of HLSD orders from other folks.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:05 AM

I doubt the first batch is already sold, simply because Nissan isn't even accepting orders for cars with the HLSD yet. If I can get an order placed with a dealership before Nissan itself starts accepting them then I should stand just as much of a chance as anyone as getting one out of the initial batch, as long as the dealership I go through doesn't already have a ton of HLSD orders from other folks.

I agree, and that is exactly what I am being told.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:13 AM

Nissan canada told me today all se 6 speeds made frome december on will all have hsld.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:18 AM

Woo-hoo!

The AutoByTel Nissan dealership quoted me $500 over invoice, and I accepted. So:

2002 SE Super Black on Black Leather
6 speed
HLSD
Meridian Edition
Bose upgrade (in-dash CD changer, no nav system)
Front Side-Impact airbags
Sunroof w/wind deflector
Floor Mats
4 piece splash guards

for a total price of $28,100

Also, with regards to HLSD availability, he says that based on what he's been hearing from Nissan it looks like HLSD orders will not be accepted by Nissan until sometime in December, for delivery in Jan/Feb of 2002. They wanted a $500 deposit, which I had no problem with. The later delivery actually works out well, my wife's car will now be only one month away from being paid off when the Maxima comes in, most likely, so we won't have two car payments to make.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:03 AM

Guys,
Have you seen the other thread going on right now 'Invoice information on '02's'? Go up to Canada and get your SE for LOTS less. The price I saw the other day was about $23,500 for an SE 6spd with everything! HSLD, leather, sunroof, heated seats, Bose, CD changer, side airbags.

This isn't rocket science to bring a car down from Canada. I did it. Toronto and Vancouver have the best prices. Just write me if you want help.

-Jon
Old 10-31-2001, 11:29 AM

JonL

Jon,

I am interested, just had my 2001 SE, fully loaded hit. My question is concerning my trade in, how would that work. I would hate for you to explain the whole process through a post. I live in Northern VA, where is your location? I would like to contact you?
Old 10-31-2001, 11:55 AM

Re: JonL

Originally posted by Blackgums100
Jon,

I am interested, just had my 2001 SE, fully loaded hit. My question is concerning my trade in, how would that work. I would hate for you to explain the whole process through a post. I live in Northern VA, where is your location? I would like to contact you?
I'm actually in MN, but I know a number of people from VA who've gone to Toronto, including a lady who works for the VA DMV who's getting a new QX4 next week. (I also get to Winchester occasionally). Drop me a line and I'll send all the details. It may look complicated but it's really easy (hey, I did it - and 60 others I've counted).

About trades.... That great exchange rate that make the Max so much less up there works against you on a trade. Sell it at home. If you don't like private sales, even selling it to a dealer will get you what you would have got on a trade-in locally.

-Jon
jonlofquist@aol.com
Old 11-01-2001, 11:56 AM

I'm glad I managed to check back on this thread today. I've been daily checking at http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro...a/pricing.html to see if they yet replaced the N/A for the HLSD with a dollar amount. As of fifteen minutes ago, they hadn't, but maybe someday they'll update it to match the price at their www.nissandriven.com site. Oh well. Now I know. $399 retail sounds okay to me. Those drilled metal pedals oughta be worth at least $25--and cut a millionth of a second off the 0-60 time! Tomorrow I'll try calling the two dealers who assured me via the internet that they want to make a deal--and then haven't contacted me for a week!