5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by unrealii
They are over charging you for the IACV. That's dealer list. I paid around $240 for mine from daveb. Haggle with them and tell them to take 20% off that price. I think you can install the IACV yourself, I have yet to do it, but I think many here have.
Well if I had more time I'd think about doing it myself. I just don't have enough of it now right now. I might call Daveb and get an exact quote, then take it to the dealer and see what they say.

Originally Posted by nissandrvr98
agreed...and that diag fee should be discussed with a manager ESP if you're gonna have them do the work. Thats very understandable if you were there for diag and then go fix it yourself but thats just BS IMO
I will definitely talk to the manager about applying the diagnostic fee towards the service. I hate when dealers try and rip you off like this.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM

I just talked to the dealer. They replaced the IACV but it is still acting up. They said the ECM could be fried. The technician working on it had to go to a funeral this afternoon and they can't check out the ECM to see if it is actually fried until tomorrow. What am I looking at as far as a price for a new ECM + labor? This sucks. One thing after another, can't catch a single GD break.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM

MAN! I just posted a new thread but wow, I really did have a feeling it wasn't the IACV... because it seemed to happen so randomly.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM

I went out to the dealer bc they needed me to unlock the glovebox to get to the ECM to check to make sure if it was bad. I talked to the service manager and he said since I am just over the 8yr/80,000 warranty on the ECM, but he was going to try and get it covered by the warranty. So hopefully the new ECM will be at no cost to me.

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
MAN! I just posted a new thread but wow, I really did have a feeling it wasn't the IACV... because it seemed to happen so randomly.
A lot of times the IACV and ECM go out at the same time. The IACV was bad, but sometimes you have to replace both.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:32 PM

I went through this whole scene for a family member, I posted on thread http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/585004-new-ecu-fried-seconds.html posted pics on repairing the ECU. If you need an ECU you might want to look at the rebuilders that advertise on EBay, they have brought down their prices to around 125 to repair your ecu.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by nakis
I went through this whole scene for a family member, I posted on thread http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/585004-new-ecu-fried-seconds.html posted pics on repairing the ECU. If you need an ECU you might want to look at the rebuilders that advertise on EBay, they have brought down their prices to around 125 to repair your ecu.
Why would I pay someone to repair my ECM when the dealer is going to replace it under the 8yr/80000 mile warranty? That doesn't make sense.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by AEMAXIMA01
Why would I pay someone to repair my ECM when the dealer is going to replace it under the 8yr/80000 mile warranty? That doesn't make sense.
You stated the dealer will TRY, and the operable word I used is IF. I just tried to help by given you some options. I understand you are under lots of stress, so I wish you the best of luck and take care.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by nakis
You stated the dealer will TRY, and the operable word I used is IF. I just tried to help by given you some options. I understand you are under lots of stress, so I wish you the best of luck and take care.
Didn't see the IF there, sorry. The service manager seemed very honest and acted like it shouldn't be a problem. I am just hesitant to buy something like an ECU off of ebay, that's all.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:37 PM

AEMAXIMA01, same thing is happening to me!! It stalls when I break randomly and sputters ~500 rpm

I thought my fuel injectors were clogged, I had it flushed, didn't fix it.
I also changed my air filter but didn't fix it either.

my mechanic is telling me it sounds like ignition coils but i replaced them with new updated ones couple years back and i'm not throwing a code. I'm personally thinking MAF or TB.

Is there any way we can raise the idle on the car or is it electronic?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:47 AM

it all comes back 2 the motor mounts...they go bad frys the iacv then frys the ecu.... dave b told me this
Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Dealer confirmed the ECM was bad as well. Ordered a new one today and it will be in next week. And it's being covered under warranty .
Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Well, I'm in the same boat. I have all of the same problems. I just got my car back from my mechanic (not the stealership) and he can't seem to find the problem. I had the injectors flushed, new PVC valve, still sputters and stalls. I've replaced the spark plugs, new fuel filter, new MAF, got rid of my K&N filter. I'm stuck!

I am going to try cleaning the TB this weekend to see if that helps. I had the MAF replaced last year and I really don't want to dish out another $500 for a new one, though I believe that is the problem (but I have been having issues with sputtering and sluggish performance even after the MAF replacement). I had my car into the stealership a new months ago (beginning of March) and they were telling me that my problem is the fuel injectors, I didn't believe them at all. They tested my MAF and said it was fine. One thing that I have done recently, which I assume really would not have an affect on everything, was I changed gas from Chevron to Shell.

Logic just doesn't seem to work with this problem. If your problems are cured with a new IACV and ECU, that will be my next steps.

GOOD LUCK, sorry a hi-jacked your thread with my problems.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 PM

I finally got my car back today. New IACV and ECM, and all back to normal! It's about time this got fixed.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Was the initial problem mostly stalling or bouncing off of 1500 RPM?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

The initial problem was that the RPMs were bouncing between 1500-1900. I cleaned the IACV/TB and the RPMs stopped bouncing, but I had major stalling issues.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 AM

Grrrr

By no means to hijack this thread, I have very similar issues with 01 maxima. Mine instead bounces rpm from 800 to 3000, do i have similar issues as OP or mine is just alternator??? Been putting in tons of money for problems in this maxima, literally pissed off. I also have P0165 engine light on for hmm 2 years, and that humming sound when driving off...

btw AEMaxima, how much over were you on your warranty? im at 89k, i wonder if I can get it covered.

and can anyone point me to good DIY for MAF clearner and TB cleaner or IACV cleaner, I'm working like 14 hours a day and cant really check anything when im at home... cant wait to get some time off for a wasted memorial day weekend.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM

I have stalling, but my car is bouncing right around 700 RPM at ideal. I do have an issue then trying to rev to 1500 RPM. Up to 1500 RPM the car acts as if it is starving for fuel and/or air for a few seconds then revs fine to about 2500-3000 RPMs, then it starts acting like it is starving again. A couple of times when I did this, CEL came on and was blinking (P0300 code) but would go away. The other night, starting the car, and the CEL came on and stayed on, again P0300 code.

I am out of ideas. Having read through a lot of threads on this issue, I'm stumped!

Once again, sorry for hi-jacking the thread.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by leefitz
I have stalling, but my car is bouncing right around 700 RPM at ideal. I do have an issue then trying to rev to 1500 RPM. Up to 1500 RPM the car acts as if it is starving for fuel and/or air for a few seconds then revs fine to about 2500-3000 RPMs, then it starts acting like it is starving again. A couple of times when I did this, CEL came on and was blinking (P0300 code) but would go away. The other night, starting the car, and the CEL came on and stayed on, again P0300 code.

I am out of ideas. Having read through a lot of threads on this issue, I'm stumped!

Once again, sorry for hi-jacking the thread.
mine is EXACTLY same thing, but i have p0171, and p0174 code. Just got back from filling car with shell premium gas and lucas fuel injector. Lets see if that changes anything. regarding the problem, it does seem like car is starving for some air...
Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 PM

So I drove back home from college, everything seemed fine. Parked the car in the driveway, let it idle for a few seconds, and what do you know, the RPMs started fluctuating again between 1500-1800! So I call up the dealer where the work was done and asked them what to do, and they referred me to any local Nissan dealer. This happened last friday, and I just got around to taking it in to my local dealer this morning (working 7-5:30 w/ a 1 hr commute each way 5 days a week, two night classes, etc, ) Of course it wouldn't duplicate it then, but they said they'd have to hook it up to Consult II to verify everything was done correctly. They called back a few hours later and said that the dealer didn't reprogram the computer when they installed the new ECM. So then I called the original dealer and they are going to pay the diagnostic fee and reprogramming fee. Wow, when will this ever end?!