5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey has anyone turboed the vq30 before? i am thinking of puttin a t3/t4 on mine and cant find a decent manifold and was also wondering how much time it takes to install the turbo kit.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM

I'm getting my 2003 Maxima 6 speed HLSD, 77k miles with Meridian, Titanium edition and leather package tomorrow

Switching from a '97 Pontiac Grand Prix with 265K miles... That's going to be a big change...

I want to do a few modifications to "enhance the driving experience": CAI, headers, exhaust, so here are my questions:

1) I can only afford to do one at a time, so what is the "best bang for the buck", what should I start with?

2) Do I need to reprogram the ECU when everything is finally installed?

Thanks,

Last edited by Gizm0; 11-23-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I finally got a maxima.

Its a 2002 se 6speed with 122 000 km. I paid 7.5k canadian.

I will keep the mods simple: warm air intake, lowering springs, tint. Where is the best place to buy eibach springs in Canada?

I also have a fog light cover that I need to replace, ebay sells them for 75$ with shipping which is a little steep. Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:44 PM

update, i ended up buying a 2001 Maxima GLE with 104k miles for $5750. the dealer is actually going to fix the front seats (they had a lot of wear and tear damage) at no cost which is pretty sweet.

i traded in a 2007 Camry LE with 47k miles (4 cyl ) and they cut me a check for $5230 (my parents gifted me the car and it was just too bland for me..... plus i could use the extra cash to build up my savings).
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah get that checked out.. soon asap
Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great car ibought one used with 32 k a GLE. No problems until 80 k when the service engine light came on and the ECU reported misses the O2 sensors went out then the coil packs, MAF sensor, struts and brakes and the generator. I have pumped in about 1.5k at 110k miles. Love the car it runs like a beast but when it has a burp it'll cost you.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The story of my 2002 Maxima SE 78,000 miles : A Beautifully Wrapped Lemon

I bought it almost 3 yrs. ago to this day. About a month or so after my purchase I had to replace one of the ball bearings, then I had to replace the brakes, then roughly a year ago I took it to the dealership to have all the fluids flushed out and replaced (wasn't cheap), I also had a problem with my windows but it was a cheap fix $75. I have loved this car dearly up until this week. Apparently some 5th generation Maximas have an issure where the Pre-catalytic (sp?) converter regurgitates particles back into the engine roughing up the cylinder walls causing "blow-by." This ultimately ruins the engine. At 78,000 miles this is absolutely ridiculous and I am NEVER buying another Nissan. I do plan on contacting Nissan about this, I will post again to this thread with the results. The only thing that will reinstate my trust in Nissan is if they replace my engine on their dime.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lindseyroo

I bought it almost 3 yrs. ago to this day. About a month or so after my purchase I had to replace one of the ball bearings, then I had to replace the brakes, then roughly a year ago I took it to the dealership to have all the fluids flushed out and replaced (wasn't cheap), I also had a problem with my windows but it was a cheap fix $75. I have loved this car dearly up until this week. Apparently some 5th generation Maximas have an issure where the Pre-catalytic (sp?) converter regurgitates particles back into the engine roughing up the cylinder walls causing "blow-by." This ultimately ruins the engine. At 78,000 miles this is absolutely ridiculous and I am NEVER buying another Nissan. I do plan on contacting Nissan about this, I will post again to this thread with the results. The only thing that will reinstate my trust in Nissan is if they replace my engine on their dime.
I don't know who you've been listening to, but this is not how cars work. You might as well be complaining about dihydrogen oxide in the atmosphere.

There is no "regurgitation". It's called back pressure, and is part of the design of every car. Modern emission controls don't work without them.

Blow-by is the fuel air mixture that makes it past the rings of the engine. Below a certain amount is normal. The PCV (stands for positive crank case ventilation") valve recirculates this gas into the intake to be burned.

The two are NOT related. Maximum pressure occurs when the valves of the piston are closed and the air-fuel mix is ignited. This is when blow by happens. Back-pressure happens when the exhaust valve(s) are open on the cylinder, as it moves up to push the burned gas out.

If you do think your catalytic converters are hosed, you'll be having other issues. By law, your car has 8 years/80,000 miles of coverage on emission control components, and those are covered by warranty based on your model year (will vary by the in-service date) and stated mileage.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
I don't know who you've been listening to, but this is not how cars work. You might as well be complaining about dihydrogen oxide in the atmosphere.

There is no "regurgitation". It's called back pressure, and is part of the design of every car. Modern emission controls don't work without them.

Blow-by is the fuel air mixture that makes it past the rings of the engine. Below a certain amount is normal. The PCV (stands for positive crank case ventilation") valve recirculates this gas into the intake to be burned.

The two are NOT related. Maximum pressure occurs when the valves of the piston are closed and the air-fuel mix is ignited. This is when blow by happens. Back-pressure happens when the exhaust valve(s) are open on the cylinder, as it moves up to push the burned gas out.

If you do think your catalytic converters are hosed, you'll be having other issues. By law, your car has 8 years/80,000 miles of coverage on emission control components, and those are covered by warranty based on your model year (will vary by the in-service date) and stated mileage.
Thank You! My car is currently at the dealership, they will be doing a "pressure check" tomorrow. I am also trying to take advantage of the Federal Emissions Warranty that you mentioned. I know close to nada about engines so I really appreciate yr explanation. I'll let you guys know what Nissan does for me.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM

Thank You! My car is currently at the dealership, they will be doing a "pressure check" tomorrow. I am also trying to take advantage of the Federal Emissions Warranty that you mentioned. I know close to nada about engines so I really appreciate yr explanation. I'll let you guys know what Nissan does for me.
An update would be great, and a post on how well the dealership treated you in the right thread would also help us all!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

PIAA H3 SERIES: PIAA H3 15955 - as a replacement fog

Well you're right about anything might happen. I replaced my OEM fog bulbs with PIAA H3. Sure it was a hassle getting in there. But now nothing but blown fuses. Looks like I might need to have it trouble shot by a professional.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:37 PM

You don't know what pain is until you have owned an Audi or Volkswagen. Nissan repairs from what i have read from everyone here is peanuts to what you would go through owning a Kraut car. Even Beemers and Benz are bad, want more go on the mini forums. I used to spend 1k a year regularly on a vw maintenance. You can compare a VW and any Kraut car to a beautiful girl, you wanna F$#k her all day long but don't put a ring on that finger, cause it's gonna cost ya a fortune. I have had nothing but great fortune with my 04 Pathfinder and now my 03 Maxima SE, keepin my fingers crossed.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 AM

Hi guys,

I'm in need of assistance in determining what fair value of my car is. I've KBB'd the car and think the value is not accurate. I'd appreciate feedback from you all. FYI, KBB says the car is worth $7900 in excellent condition. Details of the car are as follows:

Dark Blue 2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition w/ Meridian package LOADED with every option except the Navigation Unit:

- 6spd trans w/ HLSD (hard to find)
- Black Leather heated seats and heated steering wheel (interior is flawless)
- Exterior in excellent condition as well
- Bose Stereo system w/ 6-disk changer
- High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights

Maintenance:

- Religious 5w30 oil changes at 75K, 78K, 81K and 84K thus far (currently 85K)
- Gasoline, i always use 93 Octane
- E-brake cables replaced (brand new from the dealer)
- Front Brakes and rotors replaced at 74K (tons of life left)
- Rear Brakes pads replaced at 80K (basically brand new still)
- 2 Brand new tires at 73K, the other two are probably 70%

I paid $11,300 for the car in August of 08' with 72K miles on it. The only reason i am considering selling is bc i am headed back to school and would like to find something cheaper to let college kids swing doors into.

Any feedback on the car's value is appreciated. I do not have any pics to post as it has been so cold in the NE i haven't had time to wash the car.

I've been offered $7500 for the car, but think that is low. Thanks in advance!

Best,
- Jon D
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 AM

Jon D, that price is right.

You'll see dealers selling them for more, because they paid people like you that price.

You may, maybe, be able to get more than that in a private sale to people who really want a Gen 5.5 Maxima, or someone who just falls for your car. It will take time to find such a buyer though, so that's up to you.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Jon D, that price is right.

You'll see dealers selling them for more, because they paid people like you that price.

You may, maybe, be able to get more than that in a private sale to people who really want a Gen 5.5 Maxima, or someone who just falls for your car. It will take time to find such a buyer though, so that's up to you.
I imagine he could get away with 8500-9000 for it.

The miles are relatively low (comparatively), TE 6spd HLSD, black leather... all pretty coveted things.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was really bummed to learn what the car was potentially worth. I turned to you all when i bought the car, and was encouraged that the price at the time was extremely fair for the color combo and mods.

As you've explained above there are coveted items on my particular car that will be sought out by certain buyers. If i must hold out for that buyer than i'll do so. Fortunately i have two buyers currently interested bc i've got exactly what they want in terms of options and color combo.

I'm torn to let the car go for less than $8500.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Jon D
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was really bummed to learn what the car was potentially worth. I turned to you all when i bought the car, and was encouraged that the price at the time was extremely fair for the color combo and mods.

As you've explained above there are coveted items on my particular car that will be sought out by certain buyers. If i must hold out for that buyer than i'll do so. Fortunately i have two buyers currently interested bc i've got exactly what they want in terms of options and color combo.

Economy failure... I bought mine for 10,300 when I did and it was a smokin good deal. 02-03 6mts were selling for 11-14k then.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

lowballers FTL also. i was offered 6,000 or less for my car..lol
Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Frustrating experience. As much as i'd like to sell the car, i'll wait for the right buyer. I'll buy a beater in the meantime.

Again, i appreciate everyone's feedback.

Question: Is there a reason i can't post in this forum yet? I've been a member since 08'. Do i need a certain number of posts before i can create one? I just love IB. :sarcasm: My home forum for another car that i own was recently converted from zeroforum to IB. Needless to say we miss it.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Frustrating experience. As much as i'd like to sell the car, i'll wait for the right buyer. I'll buy a beater in the meantime.

Again, i appreciate everyone's feedback.

Question: Is there a reason i can't post in this forum yet? I've been a member since 08'. Do i need a certain number of posts before i can create one? I just love IB. :sarcasm: My home forum for another car that i own was recently converted from zeroforum to IB. Needless to say we miss it.
You need certain amount of posts in order to post on the forum.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Consider the age, $8500 sounds reasonable.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
I'm getting my 2003 Maxima 6 speed HLSD, 77k miles with Meridian, Titanium edition and leather package tomorrow

Switching from a '97 Pontiac Grand Prix with 265K miles... That's going to be a big change...

I want to do a few modifications to "enhance the driving experience": CAI, headers, exhaust, so here are my questions:

1) I can only afford to do one at a time, so what is the "best bang for the buck", what should I start with?

2) Do I need to reprogram the ECU when everything is finally installed?

Thanks,
"reprogram" is probably too strong a word. Custom exhausts/headers will require re-locating O2 sensors and perhaps installing an O2 sensor simulator so the ECU thinks everything is in good order. Otherwise it'll throw codes, and seeing you're in VA, it'll cause you to fail emissions.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys, this is my first post here, but i was reading as an unregistered member for a while. I'm looking at buying a 5th gen maxima. i've driven a bmw for the last number of years and need to get a new car. I've found a few in the area and i wanted to hear your opinions on the cars and the deals.

the first one is an 01 SE with 105k..
http://www.brickervillemotors.com/De...hjoRHxfLxtU%3d

the second is an 02 with 127k
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/1523548425.html

which one do you feel is a better deal? all the cars i've owned have had way over 100k when i bought them, so is there a lot of potential problems with the 01, being that it is just over 100k? opinions much appreciated!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay so i'm selling my 95 celica ST... yes yes i know. and i'm looking for Maximas. I found this one on craigslist could someone take a look at it and tell me what they think. Fair?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/1537173760.html
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM

DeVinci and Octane,

The vehicles you posted, given that they're from dealers, are fairly priced. At this age however, you'll need to look them over and give them a thorough test drive. Maybe even get a mechanic to look them over.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm looking at a private party car - 03 SE with TE package (Titanium exterior), Leather package (black leather), and 6-speed/HLSD. No navi. Looks like it's been well taken care of, two owner car, the only downside is that it has 165k miles. Current owner drives it 80 miles every day, hence the high mileage. Owner claims it runs great, no smoking, no leaks, and it generally looks like it's been well taken care of. They're asking $5000.

Is that price decent given the mileage? I'm honestly not afraid of high mile cars, my 99 just hit 175k and it's going strong (although I have the tranny bearing issue).

Last edited by fellfrosch7; 01-23-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 PM

That price sounds very far all things considered. The mileage might be high, but the options it has can be very hard to find. I'm in the process of selling a very similar car with much less miles. Good luck finding your car. I hope it works out for you.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

SUP GUYS, I'M NEW TO THE FORUM BUT NOT TO THE CAR. i'VE HAD MY 2000 MAXIMA SE FOR ALMOST 2 YRS, GOT IT WITH 54K. THE ONLY PROBLEM I'VE HAD IS MY SES LIGHT ON BECAUSE OF A BAD O2 SENSOR.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Apparently some 5th generation Maximas have an issure where the Pre-catalytic (sp?) converter regurgitates particles back into the engine roughing up the cylinder walls causing "blow-by." This ultimately ruins the engine. At 78,000 miles this is absolutely ridiculous and I am NEVER buying another Nissan. I do plan on contacting Nissan about this, I will post again to this thread with the results. The only thing that will reinstate my trust in Nissan is if they replace my engine on their dime.

Reviving this piece of the conversation.

I think homeyclause misunderstood the situation. The problem is not back pressure within the exhaust system, but rather the break-up of the pre-cat combined with exhaust flow reversion. The exhaust flow momentarily reverses (during valve overlap) which can draw pieces of a broken-up catalyst into the combustion chamber. Once inside the chamber these abrasives will damage the piston ring to cylinder wall seal and cause blow-by.

This is a know problem for the Sentra SE-R's QR25DE: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135241. Which is somewhat dealt with by Nissan's TSB NTB05-009.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMSOFSCING
SUP GUYS, I'M NEW TO THE FORUM BUT NOT TO THE CAR. i'VE HAD MY 2000 MAXIMA SE FOR ALMOST 2 YRS, GOT IT WITH 54K. THE ONLY PROBLEM I'VE HAD IS MY SES LIGHT ON BECAUSE OF A BAD O2 SENSOR.
You can also post in small caps! And it will be ok!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone think this is a good deal?

I was offered $10,700 out the door..... 75k miles, new tires, one owner.

http://www.capcitynissan.com/Pre-Own...h-getauto.aspx

When you go to that link just narrow the inventory down to the Maximas' and you'll see it.

2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition, Black Leather, Bose, etc.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Hey guys Im back this car sounds great but the check engine light

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1591655154.html

Anything is should be weary of
Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help!

does anybody know how many 20th anniversary edition se's were made?please!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 PM

ive owned three maximas 92 se pearl white with tan leather 98 se black with black leather 5 sp and the newest 03 se silver i love these cars you cant beat a mavima for performance and price i love this 3.5 this car just flat out runs
Old 02-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2003SilverSE
Anyone think this is a good deal?

I was offered $10,700 out the door..... 75k miles, new tires, one owner.

http://www.capcitynissan.com/Pre-Own...h-getauto.aspx

When you go to that link just narrow the inventory down to the Maximas' and you'll see it.

2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition, Black Leather, Bose, etc.

You got this right? Post pics!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Bought the 5.5th Gen Maxima

Hello guys, i have owned a 6th gen maxima for about a year and i will be honest, i wasnt quite happy with it. It was an 04 model, still new in production, and alot of things just didnt seem right.

I sold my 6th gen which was automatic and i bought a 5.5th gen, an 03 Maxima.

I am loving this car since day 1. Maxima with standard transmission just feels more powerful. It came with an Apexi intake. The interior build doesnt feel cheap as it did on my 04 maxima. I have all the options T/C, ABS, heated steering, bose that i had on my previous maxi

Long story short, i dont think i will be letting my 03 maxima go anytime soon because my love for it is growing every single day.

Here are few pics.

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/13740346...453625405.jpg/
http://img3.imageshack.us/i/99668282.png/
http://img521.imageshack.us/i/137403...453625405.jpg/

And a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAy1ASO-tF8
Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Audio..

I have a questions about audio...

If I get a 2002 to 2003 max with bose system how many speakers are in there...

2. If I use the Metra 70-7551, will it work for all the Bose speakers in the car?

I'm looking to buy a 5th Gen (coming from the 4th gen realm). I'm just trying to figure out of i should get something with Bose or not and would it be straight forward in adding my Eclipse AVN to it
Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had to respond to your post... great post and very true. My bro owns an AUDI and every other time I see him , he is complaining about something or other gone wrong !. COROLLA's and MAXIMA's go miles and miles before you have to spend $ on em.. other than gas of course. (there are exceptions to the rule of course, if you've got a lemon then i am sorry)
Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MohsinKhan - great photos.. thing is a beauty.. I've got one with the same color.. love it.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

possible problem?

ok, so earlier today, i viewed a 2003 maxima gle. under the hood my dad noticed that there was a hole with threads in it, like where a tube fitting or something of the like would go, but i have no idea what it is. i was hoping that some one could help me out and tell me what the tube is for and/or if there should be anything going into the top of it. i found a picture of the engine on google and circled where the tube is on this picture. does anything go into the top of this tube? like i said, theres nothing in to top of it on the one i viewed.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....