5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Maxima SE

I was a longtime lurker when I had my 95 maxima that was totaled. I am now looking for another car, and have come across this:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ240286683

2001 Maxima SE, 151 kms (that is 94xxx miles) auto. appears to have all the bells and whistles. They are asking $6K for the car.

I thought in researching another maxima that I read the coil packs (no idea what those are) were a real issue on this car. I have not been able to find where I found that, and thus far my search on this site has not found it. Does the coil pack issue relate to another year?

Any thoughts on the car?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a 2001 GLE on Saturday... As of yesterday it won't idle... I feel like throwing up...
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Hey guys i am seriously considering geting a 5th gen because my 95 is going to **** more and more every day... He only wants 2500, but it needs control arm and hub and coil packs... 150xxx miles, gray, kbb value at 3600... is it worth it?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by RagittyAndi
I just bought a 2001 GLE on Saturday... As of yesterday it won't idle... I feel like throwing up...
Hey, I wouldn't throw up just yet. You buy a car that's almost 10 years old, you can run across some problems. Will it run if you hit the gas? Try searching the 5th gen forum for answers. Could be the MAF. Most of the problems on the 5th gens aren't too expensive to fix (unless you go to a dealership of course).

They're generally pretty good cars. It hasn't been 100% trouble free, but I've had mine since new - now w/ 180+K and still running strong.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just test drove a Maxima yesterday, and I did find out a few funny things on this car. (02 Maxima SE)

The road's condition is OK, right side is full of ice, and left is totally clean
1. car is completely stop, and I rev it up, clutch in, and do a right hand turn (On the road, rolling, fully engage the clutch, and rev up, and I hear some weird clicking noise. Is it the HLSD sound or.....

2. when I do a almost full stop (Rolling at 2-4km/h) down shift all the way to 1, and I rev up a bit, fully engage the clutch, and do a left hand turn, and rev up to 2K rpm, suddenly ti comes up some gear grinding noise (lasted for like 0.5 sec) but the car is moving smoothly.....

can someone tell me what is that mean??

thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 AM
L36

Originally Posted by SuperTurbo
I just test drove a Maxima yesterday, and I did find out a few funny things on this car. (02 Maxima SE)

The road's condition is OK, right side is full of ice, and left is totally clean
1. car is completely stop, and I rev it up, clutch in, and do a right hand turn (On the road, rolling, fully engage the clutch, and rev up, and I hear some weird clicking noise. Is it the HLSD sound or.....

2. when I do a almost full stop (Rolling at 2-4km/h) down shift all the way to 1, and I rev up a bit, fully engage the clutch, and do a left hand turn, and rev up to 2K rpm, suddenly ti comes up some gear grinding noise (lasted for like 0.5 sec) but the car is moving smoothly.....

can someone tell me what is that mean??

thanks
For #1 it might be the flywheel that is basically burned out, previous owner of my maxima put in a racing clutch, so basically he burned the flywheel really badly, had the same similar clicking noise but only when i was going uphill though...
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by zoner
Hey, I wouldn't throw up just yet. You buy a car that's almost 10 years old, you can run across some problems. Will it run if you hit the gas? Try searching the 5th gen forum for answers. Could be the MAF. Most of the problems on the 5th gens aren't too expensive to fix (unless you go to a dealership of course).

They're generally pretty good cars. It hasn't been 100% trouble free, but I've had mine since new - now w/ 180+K and still running strong.
Yeah it ran... The place I took it told me I had to take it to a dealer... It was the ICM and that was 550 alone and that apparently fried out the ecm wich is another 1100... I found a used ecm for 300 which from what I'm reading I can just plug in myself? Then have them reprogram it? My 1993 new Yorker that I've had the last 10 years is still coming through for me... I just feel lost right now... I spent everything I had...

*edited to add that the dude at the dealership made me feel like a dumbass anytime I asked about something I read on here... Prolly cuz I'm female*

Last edited by RagittyAndi; 02-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, another question.

usually what causes the oil burn on the VQ engine?? some said is the seals, but some said they fix it by changing brand of oil......

Do anyone know? Other than that, do anyone have the clogged cat problem due to excessive burn oil?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th gen maxima's are very good dependable cars. It depends on the mileage and previous owner of the car. Do what I did before I purchased my '02 maxima with 100k miles. I took it to the nearest AAMCO, and they did a diagnostic on my engine and transy for like a $100 bucks. Everything checked out fine, except for a P1800 code. Every oil change around 5,000 miles using full synthetic mobil 1 oil, and premium oil filter, your maxima should be able to reach 300k with no problems! Just keep in mind that repairs on the 5th gens is very expensive. Another 45k miles later I just replaced ignition coils, factory spark plugs, solenoid for intake manifold, valve covers/gaskets driver and passenger side, timing belt, o2 sensor, brakes, tune up.. Easily $2,000 +. Not including what I paid for her and the extras I put on her.. Next up is new solenoids for transmission, maybe VB, and or transmission rebuild/replacement another $3,000 +. Repairs = more than cars worth (if you have the money go ahead and buy one).. In as is condition with 145k + repairs, CAI INJEN RD series, Megan Racing Catback exhaust, rims, custom stereo system, I would put a price tag on her for $6,300 OBO.. At the end of the day I love her, I am a proud maxima owner, love the way she sits out in my drive way, love the way she drives, and the looks that me and her get out on the road, well worth the time and money I put in her..

Last edited by unwrittenwurds; 02-18-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SuperTurbo
Hi guys, another question.

usually what causes the oil burn on the VQ engine?? some said is the seals, but some said they fix it by changing brand of oil......

Do anyone know? Other than that, do anyone have the clogged cat problem due to excessive burn oil?

Usually it might be a blown head gasket, and or the valve cover gaskets. I had oil leaking into my spark plugs. I thought I had a bad head and pistons. I just needed a valve cover replacement. Lucky me. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 AM

Somber moment

Well I just realized tonight after spending hours searching how-to's and stickies for Hp/twq upgrades for my 4th gen that it would be cheaper/easier to sell the car, add 400 to 600 more to the final sale price, and buy a 5.5 gen /w a 3.5L rather than paying $1200+ for a full cattman exhaust + CAI and still have less HP/twq power than a stock 5.5gen . Looks like this will be my summer project...

Tell me 02-03 owners is the 3.5 performance over the 3.0 worth it... any feedback would be helpful in making a decision.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM

now my growing concern is selling a 4th gen in mechanically good condition for a 5.5 that consumes quarts of oil and has a mysterious rattle around 1500-1800 rpm. why is their always a catch...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Buck96
Well I just realized tonight after spending hours searching how-to's and stickies for Hp/twq upgrades for my 4th gen that it would be cheaper/easier to sell the car, add 400 to 600 more to the final sale price, and buy a 5.5 gen /w a 3.5L rather than paying $1200+ for a full cattman exhaust + CAI and still have less HP/twq power than a stock 5.5gen . Looks like this will be my summer project...

Tell me 02-03 owners is the 3.5 performance over the 3.0 worth it... any feedback would be helpful in making a decision.
i have driven an auto 00-01 and i now own a 02-03 6speed and i love it... yes its more fun and more powerful. as everyone else knows there is a slight oil consumption issue but i maintain my cars well and always have oil in the trunk so i am never worried.

before i bought my maxima it was owned by my uncle who picked it up at an auction and was selling it. as we were having dinner i asked if it was 5 speed and he said "no, its a 6"
right away i knew i had to drive it. it had an intake on it and the car hit 180 on a counrty road in no time. i have been a huge honda guy i have owned 5 (im 22 and the maxima is my 8th car, no mommy and daddy never paid for **** ) but i love my max. especially with an intake and having HLSD.
the 02-03 also have a nicer front end IMO, the come with factory HID's and nicer headlights as well

my old teg: i bought it STOCK and purple in colour. changed literally EVERYTHING on the car. 3 motors, 3 suspension setups, 2 interior swaps, 2 paintjobs lol
i blew alot of paper on this thing

Last edited by matt06; 02-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM

thanks for the reply matt

The power and Z capability with modding is what I want, though it's that oil consumption that really worries me. Is their any data that shows improvements between 2002 & 2003 models? Ive read in a post the problem finally disappeared in the 2005-06 model line, but that's were Nissan blew it with the watermelon body style.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

selling 2003 Maxima SE Manual 6 speed

I'm going to be a father soon and my wife wants me to sell my baby. she doesn't want me to drive stick anymore. it has 71400 miles as of 2/22/2011. I bought it new. Never felt a need to modify due to plenty of power.

I put JBL speakers and PPI amp and a 10" Infinity sub in the trunk.
its a titanium silver without navigation. Has High intensity Xenon for low beam and Helical limited slip differential.

location is Los Angeles, CA.

cost 7000

Originally Posted by VQ35DElicious
Hey guys,

Soon enough i'll be in the market for an 02-03 6mt (I don't care if iI have to fly to the west coast to get one and drive it back to MA). My 2000 SE 4at w/ 205k has become a money pit to keep running reliably and I have a couple questions.

1. What should I expect to pay for a a good, under 100,000 mile example thats well equipped? I've done my reasearch and realized that stealerships love to make the car seem more than its worth and that buying from a private seller is probably the best option. My budget is more or less 10K, but i want to put some tasteful mods on the car.

2. Should I go with a custom exhaust over a manufactuer exhaust such as Greddy and Cattman? Is a custom exhaust more cost efficient? And should I go with a 3" or 2.5" setup? I want it to be loud but not loud to the point where if I take a 3-5 hour trip with the car, my head (along with the passengers heads) won't be banging from a massive headache due to a droning exhaust. My ultimate goal with the car is somewhere between 240-250whp, maybe more.

3. What should i expect to pay if I bring the car to a shop to have the all the work done? My 'dream' would be to pick up the car for 7500-8500 and then spend the rest with the mods and installation. I know a guy who has done pretty much everything there is with cars (tear downs and rebuilds) who might be able to do it much cheaper but would take a longer time to complete the installation of parts.

4. Are headers really worth it? Will a y-pipe, high flow cat, catback, intake and a tune equal the same amount of power? I love the idea of a set of Cattmans but doubt my budget will be able to support them at time (price of headers + installation time).

5. Is buying a car thats already been modded (such as the 'Cattmobile') and has a history of being well maintained the best of both worlds?

Any information on these questions would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

Marty
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I found an 03 6 speed, silver with black leather, allegedly has a lot of service records, 167k miles. He is asking 7600 but kbb and edmunds are around 5000 flat. He says its around 7500 on these websites...but do you think its a fair price? I would like to get it for 5 since thats what its worth. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by pmc21392
I found an 03 6 speed, silver with black leather, allegedly has a lot of service records, 167k miles. He is asking 7600 but kbb and edmunds are around 5000 flat. He says its around 7500 on these websites...but do you think its a fair price? I would like to get it for 5 since thats what its worth. Thanks!
^^^ Certainly get the car for what your insurance will cover it for. Don't spend 7-8 grand on a car that can be insured for 5... Someone runs into you and your out 2 grand off the top...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Great thread guys. Just picked up my own 5.5 this weekend and this was a wealth of information.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just picked up an 02 GLE. 56k Miles.

I had a 92 in between the last 6 cars I've owned. Glad to be back in a Maxima. I remember when there 2 or 3 bulletin boards back in the day with maybe only 100 members. Crazy to see how large the following has grown!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Here's an AE in CT that might work for someone: http://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/2276285736.html
Hope the link works!
(Wouldn't mind grafting that lip spoiler on my '03 GLE!)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM

looking at an 03 max, 6mt, loaded aside from navigation, 110k on the car, dealers claims it was a garage car and the paint and wheels look like new no wear on it anywhere no rusting underneath etc etc, engine looks like it just came off the boat from overseas....theyre asking 11k for it but with the options and mileage kbb nada and edmunds all value the car between 8500-9100, considering the rarity of the car you think the have more ground to stand on with the 11000 price tag? Or should i try to get the more closer to book value?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
looking at an 03 max, 6mt, loaded aside from navigation, 110k on the car, dealers claims it was a garage car and the paint and wheels look like new no wear on it anywhere no rusting underneath etc etc, engine looks like it just came off the boat from overseas....theyre asking 11k for it but with the options and mileage kbb nada and edmunds all value the car between 8500-9100, considering the rarity of the car you think the have more ground to stand on with the 11000 price tag? Or should i try to get the more closer to book value?
Definitely get them closer to book. It will only hold their sale back the higher the price.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Low-miles '01 AE (auto) on Boston craigslist

Someone should buy this. (Wish I could grab the front lip for my '03 GLE...)

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2309835570.html
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I'm looking to buy two "beater" cars, and thinking of getting two '02-'03 Maxima SE's. Like someone who posted earlier, I've got a Manheim hookup so I can pick up the car fairly cheap (cost+$500). This thread is chock full of information (yeah I read it before posting lol).

I'm getting the automatic <shudder> because I already have a 6mt (an 08 TSX) and need something the whole household can drive...

-I know what the EPA mileage numbers are, but in terms of real-world use what kind of numbers are you getting? I'll be using one of these for 100% highway, 120 miles a day.

-Are stolen HID's still a big issue? Can you buy those "cheapo" $50 ebay HID's to replace if they ever get stolen?

-Traction and Stability control are essential for me to have. Looking at pictures of the car, is there any way for me to tell if these are installed?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, looks like I'm making a trip to the auction lot tonight, wife seems eager to get into a new ride..

There was a '01 Maxima SE that was just put up with 37k miles! Unfortunately autocheck shows it was in some sort of accident soon after purchase (bummer, else it would have been mine).

The others are both black and have 89k (2002) and 85k (2003) miles respectively, the '02 one has tan leather interior and the '03 has absolutely no info so I'll see in person.

Question- I'm not allowed to drive these cars, but I am allowed to start them up. Probably no way to "check" the auto tranny, huh?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 08TSX

-I know what the EPA mileage numbers are, but in terms of real-world use what kind of numbers are you getting? I'll be using one of these for 100% highway, 120 miles a day.
My '01 3.0L auto gets around 24 mpg in rush hour highway type driving. Long trips it's about 26-28, depending on the weight of the foot on the gas pedal.

-Are stolen HID's still a big issue? Can you buy those "cheapo" $50 ebay HID's to replace if they ever get stolen?
Depends very much on the area the vehicle is in. But the ebay lights are crap - they don't spread light very well.

-Traction and Stability control are essential for me to have. Looking at pictures of the car, is there any way for me to tell if these are installed?

Thanks!
From a picture, no. AFAIK there was no stability control. ABS was standard on all models, and the I think traction control was standard on all automatics. VLSD was available on 01 SE 20 anniversary edition automatics, and IIRC most 6 speed (i.e. gen 5.5's) have it.

Originally Posted by 08TSX
There was a '01 Maxima SE that was just put up with 37k miles! Unfortunately autocheck shows it was in some sort of accident soon after purchase (bummer, else it would have been mine).
Without a detailed inspection, you're right, it's not worth it.

The others are both black and have 89k (2002) and 85k (2003) miles respectively, the '02 one has tan leather interior and the '03 has absolutely no info so I'll see in person.

Question- I'm not allowed to drive these cars, but I am allowed to start them up. Probably no way to "check" the auto tranny, huh?
Not really. Check the fluid. If its red, not orange, and does not smell burned, it's generally good. If they let you: start the car, and see how long it takes for the the slack in the drive train to be taken up when you shift it to "D". Shift it to "R" and see how long it takes to react coming from "D". It should be less than 3/4ths of a second.

Obviously look for a check engine light too
Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, both auctions ended significantly higher today than similar cars did in previous weeks...odd huh:

2003 GLE: $7000
2002 SE: $6600

Meh.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Whats up guy? I'm on the verge of purchasing a 03 Max SE..black on black leather automatic. Car looks great! very clean, no accidents, clean car fax. No signs of wear and tear and interior looks great as well. It also has a nice sound system previous owner put in. Car has 65k miles and I'm buying from a small lot close to my house...Car was listed at $10900 and I told him I wont pay more than 10200. It comes with a one year engine and tranny warranty along with the 60 day lemon law warranty. I have the option to extend to a bumper to bumper warranty for 1500 which covers all except maintanence. Although I hear these warrantys are scams(?) Im falling in love with the car. My previous car is 98 Max SE 5spd which now has 147k miles. My only other option is a 2007 Altima preferrably a v6 but something is drawing me to the Max and I dont want to spend too much $$. What do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM

get the max...altimas are nice but WAY overpriced,especially the 3.5's!!maximas hold the value more and youll get alot more out of them if you take care of them i sold my 2000 with 216k on it for 3200, im working on getting into an 03 titanium edition right now, the dealer wants 8995 for it but im tryin to get em down to 7000 even out the door
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

Yea I actually found out after buying the car that it has the titanium and meridian packages! Was very excited about that...only downside right now is that i'm getting a AT check light on the dash at startup...3 days into purchase ...bringing it to my mechanic for a full evaluation...I know my ATF is a little low so im hoping thats the only problem...other than that I'm loving the car so far! That v6 altima is like 17k plus all tax/fees its rediculous...not a fan of the CVT tranny either.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking at 2 Maximas...

I need a little guidance here. I am looking at two Maximas: 2000 SE (at a Nissan dealership) with just a little over 70 thousand miles and the other is a 2003 SE (at a Chevy dealership) with a little over 117 thousand miles. This will be my first Nissan but I am not sure which would be the better one. The 2000 is $1000 more than the 2003. I'm a single mom and need to be careful that I don't get into something that is going to nickle and dime me. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Michelle1969; 04-29-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 PM

Aftermarket coil packs....as good as oem or no?

I had a 1320 code, changed the coil packs, and that fixed the rough idle...BUT I am still getting a 1320.....is it because my coil packs are aftermarket or could it be another issue?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Michelle1969
I need a little guidance here. I am looking at two Maximas: 2000 SE (at a Nissan dealership) with just a little over 70 thousand miles and the other is a 2003 SE (at a Chevy dealership) with a little over 117 thousand miles. This will be my first Nissan but I am not sure which would be the better one. The 2000 is $1000 more than the 2003. I'm a single mom and need to be careful that I don't get into something that is going to nickle and dime me. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

both are great cars and with proper routine maintenance should last a long, long while.

The 3.0(2000 & 2001) seem to have less irritating issues with things that can go wrong(3.5 engine in the '02 and '03 was the first time for the engine being used in the Maxima, so not everything is perfected yet) but they are less of a car, performance wise- this of course can be escalated with the higher miles.

Best thing you can do is have a family member or friend with some basic car knowledge go and check them out- then always hassle with the price, I was able to get items fixed on my car and get 800 knocked off the price with simple price negotiations.

regardless good luck and make sure you do your due diligence with checking the car out before purchasing
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
Aftermarket coil packs....as good as oem or no?

I had a 1320 code, changed the coil packs, and that fixed the rough idle...BUT I am still getting a 1320.....is it because my coil packs are aftermarket or could it be another issue?
Hate to ask the obvious but is it possible to check the coil packs with an ohmmeter or something? It is possible they may be faulty.

good luck
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

why not? if u own a max, the best way to spend free time when u spent ur last bit of cash on mods is to do research on the girls...
Old 05-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my experience with the max is both good.. and very bad. my previous max was a 4th gen, and word to the guy who said that the 4 doesnt throw a knock sensor code.. it does, but only when its too late. knock sensors are a pretty common problem among all vq series motors, as with the maf sensor. simple fix for the maf, kinda redneck but it works. alot of duck tape, patience and a mechanics eye and judgement. after all the problems where fixed on my 4th (knock sensor, 2 maf sensors, 2 ignition coils and o2 sensors, 1500 bucks) it ran great and easily had another 100k miles left before any other problems arised.. as with the 5th gen, awesome power, pretty good on gas and i dont mind spendin extra to put rotella in it to keep the consumption down. obviously a bad wheel bearing, and recently an ignition coil went out.. only problem is that changing spark plugs is a serious pain in the ars. i love all maxis out there, and would buy another one in the snap of a finger. good luck, and just because the max has over 100k dont hesitate.. its well worth it
Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Spotted on Boston craigslist

For those who are "thinking of buying a 5th Gen" and prefer the Anniversary Edition...

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ctd/2358218476.html

Not sure if it's a good example of the breed, a good deal or a reputable dealer, but if I hadn't just bought my '03 I'd sure be there checkin' it out!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lowincash
my mechanic says i might have a vacumn leak or bad o2 that might be causing my crappy mpg...i'm getting average 15-17mpg with mix hwy and city. no check engine light came on so not sure if those are indeed what's causing my bad mpg. the mechanic also says my catalytic converter might be old or something that's why it's causing a rattling sound when acclerating or when driving at around 1800-2300rpm'ish. wind/road noise i've kind of gotten use to but it's just that everytime i ride in my friend's 2006 chevy malibu the ride is so smooth and quiet...even music sounds better in that car lol
i am getting 150 miles on 1/2 tank is that good?i just got a 200 max gle two weekes now, the rev at about 2k rpm is a bit stutterring too when its cold.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am getting 150 miles on 1/2 tank is that good?i just got a 200 max gle two weekes now, the rev at about 2k rpm is a bit stutterring too when its cold.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by johnojons
yea thats good my 02 max gets 13 mpg and when the englines cold u hear a little stuttering and when i acceleerate it accelerates slower than when it is warmed up

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....