5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
looking at an 03 max, 6mt, loaded aside from navigation, 110k on the car, dealers claims it was a garage car and the paint and wheels look like new no wear on it anywhere no rusting underneath etc etc, engine looks like it just came off the boat from overseas....theyre asking 11k for it but with the options and mileage kbb nada and edmunds all value the car between 8500-9100, considering the rarity of the car you think the have more ground to stand on with the 11000 price tag? Or should i try to get the more closer to book value?
i got an 02 maxima gle with everythign in it but navigation and it had 70k miles i paid 8000 at open road nissan in jersey tht 11k price is way too high
Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by nick dolce
yea thats good my 02 max gets 13 mpg and when the englines cold u hear a little stuttering and when i acceleerate it accelerates slower than when it is warmed up
What?!? No. That is ridiculous. I fully exercise my car on a daily basis and have never been below 19 mpg. Even that is over 350 miles per tank. Your car needs serious maintenance and/or repair.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

check lower radiator support!

Just check under any maxima, by the front , right under the radiator support, and jst look for severely bad rust eating the metal. If it is ur gona have to replace the damage metal with fresh metal or replace ur rad support.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My apologies if this isn't the right place for this post...

Obviously I'm new here, and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm looking into a getting a 5th gen SE to use as a fun, yet reliable DD. This is a new decision for me, for the past 6 months or so I've been pretty set on getting a Grand Prix. I've owned a 3800 before, so I knew what I was getting into with one. That all changed this weekend though, when my brother in law purchased an 02 maxima se/manual. I went for a ride in it, and fell in love(first maxima I had ever been in)

I've never owned a nissan before, but I have a bunch of friends that live by them. One of which has gone through two SR swapped s14's, both of which I helped him with. As my name suggests, I'm into mustangs. Currently, I own two of them, but I'm not what you guys would consider a typical mustang guy. I've owned my share of platforms and have respect for anything that is well built, or even just well cared for. So spare me the "troll" treatment if you would.

Anyway, that's it. I'm here to learn somethings, and keep an eye on the classifieds section. It seems to be a pretty active site, which is awesome. See you guys around.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What would be a reasonable counter offer for a '02 Maxima SE 6MT? with 124K miles, leather, bose, memory seats, and heated mirrors and seats, excellent condition, clean title, runs perfect. Seller is asking $7K
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 AM

^^ seems high, I bought my '02 SE (no leather but everything else) w/58k miles for around $7000+ttl. Granted, I bought my car at an auction but I still had to pay my mechanic his "fee" ($500) leading to that price, and my car's an auto.

I'll look up historical auction selling prices for the car in a little bit, expect to pay just a tad more than that for a private party sale...
Old 06-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a question about the cargo area of the 5th gen maxima. Ive read and websites state its about 15 cubic feet of space, but my question is whats the width of the trunk seal? im asking for purposes of car audio. and one other question, all 5th gen maximas rear seats fold down right? thanks.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

and by trunk seal i mean the space between the rear seats and the trunk, the trunk hole. thanks!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how come noone will answer lol
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 AM

I AM GOING TO GO SEE A SILVER 2003 MAXIMA SE WITH BLACK LEATHER. IT HAS 106K MILES ON IT. BRAKES CHANGED AT 86k AND RECENTLY FRONT ROTORS AND OIL CHANGED. CURRENTLY THE SELLER IS ASKING FOR $7000. THE PAINT JOB LOOKS REALLY GOOD AND MAINTAINED. I BOUGHT A 2000 MAXIMA SE WITH 113K AND FOUND OUT 6 MONTHS LATER THAT IT WAS REAR ENDED BY LOOKING AT THE BUMPER AND ALL THE PROBLEMS THAT I HAD TO CORRECT IE...( AXLES, BRAKES NOISE. LOOSE TIE ROD, AC BLOWS HOT AIR AND VERY MINIMAL COLD AIR EVEN AFTER FREON FILL THE CONDENSER MAKES A VERY STRONG WEIRD SOUND. THE TIMING CHAIN IS MAKING SOUNDS. ETC.. EVEN THOUGH CAR FAX SAID NO ACCIDENT HISTORY..

MY QUESTION AND CONCERN IS WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN THE 2003 MAXIMA SE. IS $7000 A FAIR PRICE? I WAS THINKING OF $6000 AFTER INSPECTION AND NEGOTIATION.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Trakkon14
i have a question about the cargo area of the 5th gen maxima. Ive read and websites state its about 15 cubic feet of space, but my question is whats the width of the trunk seal? im asking for purposes of car audio. and one other question, all 5th gen maximas rear seats fold down right? thanks.

and by trunk seal i mean the space between the rear seats and the trunk, the trunk hole. thanks!
Originally Posted by Trakkon14
how come noone will answer lol
Maybe none of us has thought about it in the way you are thinking? My suggestion would be for you to measure it yourself.

And yes, all 5th gen seats fold down.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by tomandjerry20004
I AM GOING TO GO SEE A SILVER 2003 MAXIMA SE WITH BLACK LEATHER. IT HAS 106K MILES ON IT. BRAKES CHANGED AT 86k AND RECENTLY FRONT ROTORS AND OIL CHANGED. CURRENTLY THE SELLER IS ASKING FOR $7000. THE PAINT JOB LOOKS REALLY GOOD AND MAINTAINED. I BOUGHT A 2000 MAXIMA SE WITH 113K AND FOUND OUT 6 MONTHS LATER THAT IT WAS REAR ENDED BY LOOKING AT THE BUMPER AND ALL THE PROBLEMS THAT I HAD TO CORRECT IE...( AXLES, BRAKES NOISE. LOOSE TIE ROD, AC BLOWS HOT AIR AND VERY MINIMAL COLD AIR EVEN AFTER FREON FILL THE CONDENSER MAKES A VERY STRONG WEIRD SOUND. THE TIMING CHAIN IS MAKING SOUNDS. ETC.. EVEN THOUGH CAR FAX SAID NO ACCIDENT HISTORY..

MY QUESTION AND CONCERN IS WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN THE 2003 MAXIMA SE. IS $7000 A FAIR PRICE? I WAS THINKING OF $6000 AFTER INSPECTION AND NEGOTIATION.

^ a lil help would be highly appreciated..
Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do these use timing belts or chains?

I want a 6spd Gen5 so freaking bad. if anyone is trying or knows someone wanting to trade for an 02 Honda CR-V EX Let me know.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Juggernut
Do these use timing belts or chains?

I want a 6spd Gen5 so freaking bad. if anyone is trying or knows someone wanting to trade for an 02 Honda CR-V EX Let me know.
We use Chains.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I'm heading out to meet a dealer with an 02 Maxima w/ 120K on the clock. I know for these cars, there's still alot of life left, but is there anything that schould be changed around 100K that I should ask about?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tach stopped working last night on my 02 but all the rest are working, hard starting but does start. Is this a non serviceable cluster?

thankyou in advance...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM

i have a clean 2000 maxima for sale all custom looks real clean PM me if your interested.. its also supercharged
Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Tranny or something else???

Test drove an 03 6 speed, 94k on it today. Oh man, what a dream. These cars have amazing pick up, comfy as hell, decent sound system.....but wait.....I HAD HEAD ROOM. Owner was a cool guy, so we went for a spin. Car has been sitting for about a week, he's moving out of state and changing careers and he does not want the hassle of bringing the max with him. You know a buddy of a buddy type deal. Everything is going great, no ticks, no rattles, all gauges were good, i thought there was a little bit of a tick/thump when braking from above 30 or more. That did not deter me until I wanted to take it out of 3rd gear coming to a stop. I could not take it out of gear. The pedal had pressure but it did not seem to dissengage the clutch. Hit the brake, let the engine stall out, gently pull up on the ebrake.....almost ran the light. Car stops, thank god, engine stalls and I make the sign just barely.....try to take it out of gear, it works. Start the car back up, it shifts fine. 1st gear, 2nd gear, everything is great....went up to 6th. Another sign, put it in first, take off, go to shift to 2nd, it's stuck again, but this time the clutch dissengages the gear, just the lever is stock. Let it stall out again. I get out, tell the owner to switch seats, everything is going great for him. Another sign, 1st gear, 2nd gear goes to take it out of 2nd, it does it to him also. This time, the clutch has no affect on dissengaging the gear. He stalls it just like I did.....this time we tow it home.

You guys know these cars. Is the tranny toast??? Air in the clutch system from sitting for a week???
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM

Maximas are such great cars, Extremely reliable. My Maxi has 208k miles, And shes still running stronger than ever, and still eating up other cars.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello guys i will be going to look at a 2003 max se 6 spd this weekend. car has roughly 66k on it so its fresh, and history looks clean one owner car. Just wondering if there are any reacurring issues with these models i should look out for or any tips someone may have. from what i read this gen is awesome in 6pd. seller is asking 8300 so advice on counter would also be appreciated.

thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM

I have a 2001 maxima with 182k. i have to save its the best car i have ever had, definitely recommend it. Extremely reliable. just keep good maintenance with it, as in full synthetic motor oil. also recommend pumping premium gas (octane 93) you can feel better performance. i have yet to drive a 02 or 03 to see what the difference in power would be. Now ive only had one problem with my car so far and it was the maf sensor, it is a common problem with 5th gen maximas but it wasnt to expensive and easy to change. should have changed a O2 sensor but never did, now i most probably will have to change the cat converters. recently the transmission speed sensor is starting to go bad will change it soon. good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by letsfly
hello guys i will be going to look at a 2003 max se 6 spd this weekend. car has roughly 66k on it so its fresh, and history looks clean one owner car. Just wondering if there are any reacurring issues with these models i should look out for or any tips someone may have. from what i read this gen is awesome in 6pd. seller is asking 8300 so advice on counter would also be appreciated.

thanks
The 6spd is definitely awesome, get it if you can. My neighbor was selling his and gave me 1st shot at his Maxima and I turned it down initially because it was stick....(didn't want manual)......then I thought about it and thought what the #$# am I doing. I got it and don't have any regrets.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if anyone in the wilmington delaware area wants to make a quick 60 bucks and come with me to check out the car i should be there around 6pm tomo
Old 09-05-2011, 12:50 PM

I found a nice 01 Maxima 20th edition SE with 121k miles. It has body damage to the front left lip (under the bumper, this is what I would call it but dont know) and only 2 minor scrapes on the drivers seat. Also all the window chrome needs to be replaced from dents and such. Would this car be worth picking up as a daily driver for about $7k? it has like a shiny red paint with the Bose. I drove it and it seemed sound with a good transmission and clutch and no abnormal engine sounds. heres a link to the craigslist if you want to take a peak http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2567295328.html

thanks for any help you can offer
Old 09-05-2011, 04:44 PM

WTB: IL maxima se manual

I need help finding a maxima se manual in chicago, i am new to maximas, can someone help me?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello peeps, Just purchased my Maxima 2002 se 6sp today. Very excited and glad I got it,it was well worth the money. I've been reading this forum for a while now even before I became a member. Everyone is so informative and i love it!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by GuidoRNR
I found a nice 01 Maxima 20th edition SE with 121k miles. It has body damage to the front left lip (under the bumper, this is what I would call it but dont know) and only 2 minor scrapes on the drivers seat. Also all the window chrome needs to be replaced from dents and such. Would this car be worth picking up as a daily driver for about $7k? it has like a shiny red paint with the Bose. I drove it and it seemed sound with a good transmission and clutch and no abnormal engine sounds. heres a link to the craigslist if you want to take a peak http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2567295328.html

thanks for any help you can offer
Bump. please help me make a decision if this is a good price or if this car is worthy
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by GuidoRNR
Bump. please help me make a decision if this is a good price or if this car is worthy
I think the price is a bit high, but that is pretty much always the case when it is offered by a dealer. Condition of the car plays a big part in the pricing. The miles are considered to be average based on 12K a year. Cars that sell for $2 - $3K less usually have 200K+ miles on them.

One thing to do is get service codes read from the car's computer. If you have or can borrow an OBD II code reader, do it. Or do a test drive to an auto parts store (such as autozone) and ask them to check the codes. They do it for free.

Also you can search for other cars on autotrader.com and cars.com. This will give you an idea of pricing. Most of the cars will be automatic trans, but them that's what Nissan built. Sometimes you can talk the price down because manual trans cars don't sell as quickly. A 60 year old man has a better chance of getting the price lowered. When a dealer sees a 20 year old drooling over a 5 speed, the price goes up.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey whats up guys, ive got a couple questions about the 01 A33. Would i need to do anything to the chassis wise if i want to convert the 01 front end to the 02/03 front end? and i know i would have to buy a new bumper and the grille because i cracked my front bumper and i really like the 03 look so i might as well throw the new bumper on there if i do work, if anyone can help me then let me know...thank you !!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:24 PM

ye dennis im offering 6500 out the door. which i feel is fair since other than just those few things its in great shape
Old 09-12-2011, 01:32 PM

i am most likely buying a 5th gen maxima tomorrow - i am a college student and live on campus. do you guys think the mpg on this car is bad for a college student? should i look for another car?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by iwannamaximase
i am most likely buying a 5th gen maxima tomorrow - i am a college student and live on campus. do you guys think the mpg on this car is bad for a college student? should i look for another car?
Congratulations. Acceptable gas mileage is only determined by you. How much money you have combined with your satisfaction of the ride will determine that. Around town, you can expect from 16 to 22 mpg. Depends on how heavy a foot you have. When I drive my 2000, I get 17 - 18 mpg. When my wife drives it, she gets 21+ mpg. Also a factor is how much idling you do versus actual driving. Cruising on the highway should give you as high as 30 mpg.

So as the ads on television and in the magazines say, your actual mileage may vary.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, I am most likely going to purchase an 03 Maxima for sale at a car lot near me. It is a 6 speed manual with 75,000 miles. it has a little bit of damage in the rear bumper. the sticker price on the car was only $4900 and I offered $4500 and the manager said it was okay.

I looked up the Kelly Blue Book value of these cars and they are kind of high, almost double that asking price. What should I really look for that is wrong? The manager also said he just replaced the clutch.

So am I getting a deal of the century or what do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 PM

yes/no? abs light

So i went to look at a 2001 maxima se with 128xxx mi two days ago and got the car inspected before making an offer. The car has a stillen cold air intake and a greddy exhaust, new 2004 brakes in the front, no leaks and it is very clean. After the inspection, the mechanic told me the car runs very good but it would need new tires before the winter, something about the clutch master cylinder, needed new rear brake rotors, needed new serpentine belt, also he checked the computer and it gave him a air bag code #20, the abs light was on (abs does not work) and it had two unset monitors (not sure what that means). His lowest offer was 3700 and i declined because I wasnt sure if i wanted the car. What do you guys think about the price and the abs light problem? Should I purchase the car?
Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 PM

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 5.5 gen (2002/03) vs a 5 gen (2000/01)? It seems I have read of more oil burner probs with the newer 3.5 liter engine. Pros/cons of the bigger engine vs the older 3.0 liter?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Basically if your thinking of buying a 5th generation, you want to make sure the mileage isn't outrageous or your service for the car is going to be hefty, simply because those parts aren't impossible but are difficult to find and keep your options open for one in good shape.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jh8909
Hi, I am most likely going to purchase an 03 Maxima for sale at a car lot near me. It is a 6 speed manual with 75,000 miles. it has a little bit of damage in the rear bumper. the sticker price on the car was only $4900 and I offered $4500 and the manager said it was okay.

I looked up the Kelly Blue Book value of these cars and they are kind of high, almost double that asking price. What should I really look for that is wrong? The manager also said he just replaced the clutch.

So am I getting a deal of the century or what do you guys think? Thanks.

Have you done a carfax? Know anything about the prior owner? Accidents? Sounds too good to be true to me. Be wary of small used car lot owners. Those are the cars that the larger dealerships passed on in auction.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by nick dolce
i got an 02 maxima gle with everythign in it but navigation and it had 70k miles i paid 8000 at open road nissan in jersey tht 11k price is way too high
I bought a 02 gle with 64k on it with everything including nav, 6 disk cd, heated steering wheel for 9.5k, and its a perfect car no damage everything perfect. But you might want to explore your options because that might be a tad high for the mileage, also check the body and engine and interior for damage even if it's small damage it could add up to knock a few hundred off the price.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM

I bought an 02 gle fully loade with nav, 6 disk cd, and heated steering wheel, with 64k on it, for 9.5k in perfect condition, your asking price might be a little high considering the miles, but make sure you check it over for damage engine exterior and interior, even if it's small it could knock a few hundred off the asking price
Old 10-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm starting to get a bit discouraged, for the past few weeks I have been encompassed with finding a Maxima/altima. For me, a 3.5 coupled with the six speed is the holy grail. I'm thinking about giving up and getting an auto. While I do plan on adding mods, I'm not going to be taking it to the track or anything so an auto might be enough.

That being said, my last two cars were 5 speeds and manuals are what suit my fancy at the moment. Should I wait it out and find a manual or will an auto be enough

Also, post #800 in this thread

Last edited by cyborgpope; 10-11-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....