5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

As much as I like the 7th gen V6 Accord I replaced my totaled '02 5.5 gen 6MT with, I'm thinking of getting another 5.5 gen 6MT if I can find a decent enough one. My Accord is worth $3-4k more than a 5.5 gen Accord so I'd pocket more than enough to cover the small drop in fuel economy and somewhat higher ownership cost (so far, 99 cents in repairs on the Accord in 36,000 miles-power steering pump O-ring) that come with owning a Maxima.

Just nothing really out there right now.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone, new here and i ran into a maxima, 2001 in black manual transmission, looks in pretty good condition owner says 150k miles on the motor. i am really considering purchasing this car to play around with since its a steal, hes asking 1,000$ the paint is ruined he has rust etc, but aslong as the engine is in good condition i can fix the paint. i am going to go take a look at it tomorrow and i was reading around and checking but what do you guys think i should look for, what problems do these cars come with in general. also wondering about what should i do engine wise if i bought it. i want to do some engine swap i dont know anything bout nissans ive only worked on hondas and mitsubishi. also how many miles should i assume the engine would last assuming they took some care of it? just a short answer would be great i will be looking around seeing what other people have done etc. thanx for your time.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey there...I've recently purchased a 2003 Infiniti I35 and it had 117,000 miles on it, but that did not scare me. The car has been riding great, and in nine months I have added 7,000 miles. Nothing has gone wrong, and I usually add a quart of oil between oil changes, just incase the engine is burning a little oil. If you can find a good one, in budget, definitely go for an I35 becasue the 3.5 Liter V6 produces 255 bhp and 247 lb/ft of torque...same engine in an 02/03 Nissan Maxima. The I30 may not burn as much oil, but it is older, and not as quick as the I35. The I35 does have HID headlamps which the I30 does not (same with the Maxima's respectively)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by CGIUNT
I usually add a quart of oil between oil changes, just incase the engine is burning a little oil.
I wouldn't add oil unless the dipstick indicates the oil is low. Too much oil can cause issues too.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Xxtakinover
Hello everyone, new here and i ran into a maxima, 2001 in black manual transmission, looks in pretty good condition owner says 150k miles on the motor. i am really considering purchasing this car to play around with since its a steal, hes asking 1,000$ the paint is ruined he has rust etc, but aslong as the engine is in good condition i can fix the paint. i am going to go take a look at it tomorrow and i was reading around and checking but what do you guys think i should look for, what problems do these cars come with in general. also wondering about what should i do engine wise if i bought it. i want to do some engine swap i dont know anything bout nissans ive only worked on hondas and mitsubishi. also how many miles should i assume the engine would last assuming they took some care of it? just a short answer would be great i will be looking around seeing what other people have done etc. thanx for your time.
I bought my max last yr with about 133k miles on it. Im over 150k now. Engine is starting to burn oil, not much but we'll see how long that lasts. Check that high pressure power steering hose, mine has a slow leak. Recently changed the alternator. Check the MAF sensor when cranking, you may get a funny sounding idle. Check the ac blower motor, had to replace mine, the bearings were shot. A 4th gen blower motor fits, and will save you a few dollars. Those are the main issues ive faced, outside of changing brake pads and headlight bulbs.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trading up to a 2003

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I own a 2000 Maxima SE which has 227K plus miles and it needs a lot of work, making it prudent for me to look for a newer car. I love my maxima and am looking for a 2003 silver, loaded model with automatic transmission, low miles in San Diego, CA.

My mom had owned a 2003, but traded it after the headlights were stolen three times. So what are known issues with the 2003's that I should be aware of? Are the headlights still a target for thieves? Anything else I need to be aware of? Thank you.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JamaicanJerseyGirl
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I own a 2000 Maxima SE which has 227K plus miles and it needs a lot of work, making it prudent for me to look for a newer car. I love my maxima and am looking for a 2003 silver, loaded model with automatic transmission, low miles in San Diego, CA.

My mom had owned a 2003, but traded it after the headlights were stolen three times. So what are known issues with the 2003's that I should be aware of? Are the headlights still a target for thieves? Anything else I need to be aware of? Thank you.
HID's have gotten cheap enough that nobody bothers to steal them anymore. As far as common problems there are a few. MAF seems to be the biggest one, that and a bit of oil consumption for some people. Other than that it's pretty much your typical maintenance stuff. And why would you want an auto? I'd go with the six speed, but that's just me.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM

Hello guys,

I found a 2002 Maxima SE for 3,000. Its in great shape paint inside etc.... However it has 270K miles. Would this be a wise car to buy just for a bigger everyday car auto to drive daily? I have no issue swapping a lower mileage engine in if time comes. I currently have a 06 Accord V6 6Speed Coupe and im so sick of stick but i Refuse to give up my car. Plus it is Slammed and kitted and all so id like to preserve it. What things should i look at on this Max or should i just hold out for something less in mileage?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by BransAm
Hello guys,

I found a 2002 Maxima SE for 3,000. Its in great shape paint inside etc.... However it has 270K miles. Would this be a wise car to buy just for a bigger everyday car auto to drive daily? I have no issue swapping a lower mileage engine in if time comes. I currently have a 06 Accord V6 6Speed Coupe and im so sick of stick but i Refuse to give up my car. Plus it is Slammed and kitted and all so id like to preserve it. What things should i look at on this Max or should i just hold out for something less in mileage?
Maxima's are fantastic cars. They're good on the eyes, they're fast, They're comfortable, They're not hard to maintain... But 270,000 miles on any car would be a bad idea (IMO) Plus, these Max's take premium gas so you'll pay a little more at the pump. And with those miles you wont be getting the 19/26 mpg. Personally, I'd look for something else.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my son is looking to pick up a 2001 gle with 114K miles and i have looked through the normal problems but had a question about cylinder testing. i have the nissan data scan II that can shut down each cylinder to see the rpm drop, will this be as good as a cylinder pressure test? i don't have a way to directly test the cylinders.

here is a video of the function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vFB-rkipGlI

thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM

What's up fellas looking to get a 03 Maxima SE 90k miles Blk STOCK car, No modifications, No accident,Leather ,good tires,supposedly nothing wrong, with new clutch 20k miles ago, $5500
STEAL, GOOD DEAL, NO DEAL??
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by kingofny1997
What's up fellas looking to get a 03 Maxima SE 90k miles Blk STOCK car, No modifications, No accident,Leather ,good tires,supposedly nothing wrong, with new clutch 20k miles ago, $5500
STEAL, GOOD DEAL, NO DEAL??
Buy it. Try to talk 'em down but it's a good price. Paid 57,000 for my '02 in Feb.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They were in fact made through th '04 model year, and with bumper-to-bumper warranties from Infiniti lasting 5 years/60k miles and powertrain 6 years/70k miles, you could conceivably find a low-mileage example with the added insurance of some factory warranty coverage.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 PM

as stated, all the information is here. you are buying the car, we shouldnt have to do the research for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
Buy it. Try to talk 'em down but it's a good price. Paid 57,000 for my '02 in Feb.
Thanks im considering it, just can't decide due to other find that is a 02 max 113k, BLK and looks cleaner, 6 speed, but no Leather and it's like $600 cheaper
Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 SE with 140K - $4200?

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking at a 2003 SE with 140K miles on it. The dealer was asking $4750. I told them that the 140K miles is a little too much for me...unless they drop the price. They dropped it to $4200. From the pictures, it looks pretty good. The only thing I can see is that it doesn't appear to have any fog lights...which is strange...not sure if they busted and were never replaced or what. Is it a simple fix for me to purchase new fog lights and put them in? Parts would cost what??? $80 for the pair?
I was also looking at some 6-speed SEs....How often is a new clutch needed if I go the manual route? (100K?).
Any thoughts or insight would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, new here. Tomorrow i'm looking at a 03 SE with 146k miles. I'm sure everybody says this, but what should I check when i look? Heres the link: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

To me it looks great, but you never know until you look!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

old cars = problems... unless you can get your hands on a decent one... you will not know until you drive it for a while. We are talking about 5-7 year old cars./.. have that in mind... the max are great cars with very good engines.. but anything can happen, also, please do a search there are a lot of threads about issues with the Max
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Went and looked this morning. Car ran great, sounded like it had some engine tick? (very quietly) Oil and everything looked great. Only bad thing was that a fog light was out and it had 146k miles. Guy wanted $4900 and wouldn't budge, so i left. Back on the hunt...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

rear door speakrs

will 8" speakers fit in the rear door pannels. I have an 03 w/o bose sytem
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 AM

2nd Maxima purchase in 1 month, opinions needed.

I fell in love with my 98 Maxima I bought 4 weeks ago that now I've been looking a vehicle replacement for my wife. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Max SE auto 3.0 with 92K miles on the odometer, clean car fax, 1 owner, loaded. Exterior and interior condition is 8.5/10. Looking at $4000 as a purchase price.

First, how do these 5th gens mated the 3.0/auto powertrain compare with the late 4th generation models? I'm assuming just as reliable althouth unsure of how the added weight of the 5th gen effects performance (economy, handling, and passing gear). Is the later 3.5 displacement engine a better choice? Thoughts are helpful...

Second, is $4K a reasonable price point for this year, condition, and miles?

Any opinions or recommendations are sure appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my main concern is a solid engine, I can deal with a little issues now and then. Also, is the maintenance alot higher on the 00/03 as opposed to the 95/99?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 AM

So im thinking about getting another max. Since i sold my 95 se 2 years ago ive missed it. I do have a few questions though

1. Compared to a 4th gen are there any downfalls in the difference? I know one is older than the other but anything else?

2. Auto or manual? My 95 was auto, but i love manauls. What difference between a 5spd and 6spd besides another gear? Known issues?

3. 3.0 or 3.5? Whats the more reliable engine?

4. Since buying used I suspect whatever i get is bound to have atleast 150k on it. Hard to find less miles in my area in my price range. $4000 tops less is better.

5. And last question. Any known issues other than engine and trans to be aware of?

Other than that i could possibly be checking out 4th gens and 3rd gens 3.5 altimas
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM

If the car isn't 100% what you want w.o regrets don't get it. It's gonna come back in bite u in the as$. you know it's bad if the under body is rusted. You know it's REALLY bad if the actual body is starting to rust. I'd stay away.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the 02-03 would be an infiniti I35 with a VQ35 3.5 liter engine, which is more powerful, but is more prone to having oil burning problems due to bad piston rings.. (by the way, maximas of these years have the same respective engines as the infinities).. most people (including myself) don't mind adding oil every now and then for the added performance you get with the 3.5.. so it's a trade off, but it's up to you what is more important.. an older car with higher mileage, you're taking a bigger chance on more parts being worn than a newer car of the same model.. however, some older cars have been well taken care of and are very reliable
Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

00-02 max

Looking to buy a max 00-02 In the NYC area under 2500$ for my son any help ?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM

www.autotrader.com
Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM

One thing to look out for is that the frame cross member that the radiator sits on rusts out. The engine also uses this cross member, so it is an important thing.

Another thing to do is see if there are any check engine codes. Too many times the seller will remove the light bulb so you can't tell. If you have a code reader or can borrow one, take it with. Or do a test drive to an auto parts store such as autozone and ask them them to read the codes. It's a free service.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by williswhatchyou
will 8" speakers fit in the rear door pannels. I have an 03 w/o bose sytem
I have a 2003 se and the front doors take 6.5 inch speakers while the rears take 5.25 inch speakers. I got away with buying 4 alpine type r 6.5s and they fit fine. Watch out for the mounting depth if you get 6.5s. 4.75 to 5.3 mounting depth should fit. Most 6.75 inch speakers have too large of a mounting depth to fit the maxima without modification. 8 inch speakers will not fit, regardless of how large a spacer you buy, the door panel wouldn't go back on. If toy want some bass, add a sub.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just bought a 2002 se 6mt. Looking for a decent suspension and stillen kit.. How many miles are these3.5 motors generally good for?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by pete_grand
Just bought a 2002 se 6mt. Looking for a decent suspension and stillen kit.. How many miles are these3.5 motors generally good for?
depends how well you take care of it. if you do regular fluid changes, tune ups and service, it'll last longer than the body of the car.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everyone.

I'll be looking at a 2002 3.5L SE 6 speed with 138K tomorrow. I'm having a little trouble finding known issues around that mileage specifically. I have written down the VIN numbers that fall under the transverse link recall; is this something I should steer clear of? Or is just an easy fix if the part has not been replaced?

I've been researching a lot of cars this past week, so I'm not certain it's in regard to the maxima but I recall reading about the timing chain needing replacement around 130K. So, is it the maxima I'm thinking of? I'm a mechanic and have done everything from transmission rebuilds, to differential setups, to frame repair/fab but I'm at school now so I only really have access to hand tools (I have quite a few). It's just that everything I have worked on has been Jeeps and trucks. Is this something I can do myself in my driveway in a reasonable amount of time?

I live in New England. Where are the spots rust typically develops in these vehicles?

Blue book value is $5,800 in my area but is listed for $4000 at a dealership. Should I be concerned that a dealership has it listed almost $2,000 under book?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm glad this forum exists because it's great to have a community resource that has experience with this specific model when I run into a problem. I am indifferent when it comes to Nissan but was pleasantly surprised to find that the Maxima has a 255hp, 245 ft/lbs torque 3.5L motor with a six speed standard transmission. I hope, in the future, I can contribute as I've already found quite a bit of handy knowledge to take with me tomorrow.

PS: Thought some of you may find this interesting. It's a little out of my price range: http://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/det...e&distance=100
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just want to get a opinion if this is a good price for a 2003 maxima that am currently looking at "Link Below"

http://www.worldchampionauto.com/200..._187251715.veh

Car is insanely clean inside & out, with pretty decent miles on it. What price do you think I could negotiate? Any feedback/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I do plan on looking at it when I have time with a good friend who is mechanic, he does own a 95 maxima and is also a member on here. Am currently new to this forum.

PS.
The reason am going the dealer route is I want to trade in my car 98 toyota corolla VE with 113k miles towards a 03 maxima then either pay the difference in cash or finance for a little bit. Can't put my car for sale privately due to the fact it my only ride to get to work etc and I would be without a car lol.

So right now am in no rush I know what I want, just taking that time to find that perfect 03 maxima. Hopefully I found it with that link I posted if not then I will continue my search!

Last edited by MrMarc; 04-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

whats a good price

Hey all. new here. I almost purchased a 2002 se a few years ago but ended up buying an 05 altima SE-R instead. but here I am looking to buy another maxima. I'm looking at this maxima. http://www.floridacars1.com/web/1000...OWNER%20LOADED

Its crazy clean, and has crazy low miles. Its not a 3.5 but after dealing with that motor in my altima I don't want one. right now I'm looking for a reliable low maintenance car. I'm clearly not going to pay what he is asking. what do you guys think would be a good price. And the final issue is I would be buying it without looking at it. I know bad idea but I live in Kansas so seeing it is not an option. So should i get it?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by sgt_g
I'm looking at this maxima. http://www.floridacars1.com/web/1000...OWNER%20LOADED

Its crazy clean, and has crazy low miles. I'm clearly not going to pay what he is asking. what do you guys think would be a good price. And the final issue is I would be buying it without looking at it. I know bad idea but I live in Kansas so seeing it is not an option. So should i get it?
personally i'd start with kbb for a price range, and i'd never buy a car w/o looking it over, driving it and hooking up a code reader, cause the only thing worse than letting a good deal get away is getting a bad deal that won't go away
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

WTB 03 Maxima 6-speed in MA let me know if anyone's selling????
Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys need some help... Im looking at a 02 SE 6MT at a dealer.

are all 5.5 SE's LSD? I did search and had conflicting info. Some say all 5.5s 6MT are HLSD and some say it was an option. If not where can I check on the VIN or transmission to check the numbers.

By the way they are asking 6500. Didnt ask about the mileage but If its around 100K and its loaded with black leather I'll have to take it. If its anything above 125K or tan interior just going to pass.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by viruz_one
Hey guys need some help... Im looking at a 02 SE 6MT at a dealer.

are all 5.5 SE's LSD? I did search and had conflicting info. Some say all 5.5s 6MT are HLSD and some say it was an option. If not where can I check on the VIN or transmission to check the numbers.

By the way they are asking 6500. Didnt ask about the mileage but If its around 100K and its loaded with black leather I'll have to take it. If its anything above 125K or tan interior just going to pass.
http://forums.maxima.org/8253354-post25.html
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima GXE - Help needed

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Looked at a 2000 Maxima GXE for our babysitter last night. Car was in decent condition. Clean actually.

The "Service Engine" light was on and the owner said that one of the 2 catlytic converters needed to be replaced. He replaced one on the front but the one in the back needs to be replaced? Does this make any sense?

The guy is clearly not mechanically inclined and my guess is maybe he is using the wrong name for the defective part?

Can someone either confirm or shed some light on what he could be talking about?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM

There are 2 precats and then further down there is one main cat. The precats are crappy on our cars. In my experience, they do not throw codes. Sometimes those codes can be fixed with o2 sensors.

In short, your babysitter may be correct even though he isn't really sure what he is correct about.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....