5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I got beat by a civic, and it wasn't even close!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 05:52 AM

I got beat by a civic, and it wasn't even close!!

So I am sitting at this light with a lowered teal civic hatchback next to me and I am thinking should I even bother? The light turns green I hammer it, by mid 2nd gear the guy has pulled over a car and already flicked the hazards!!! Wow, that really sucked.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:24 AM

Re: I got beat by a civic, and it wasn't even close!!

Originally posted by 2000 SE
So I am sitting at this light with a lowered teal civic hatchback next to me and I am thinking should I even bother? The light turns green I hammer it, by mid 2nd gear the guy has pulled over a car and already flicked the hazards!!! Wow, that really sucked.

Man that sux
Old 11-01-2001, 06:27 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

He either had an engine swap, turbo/sc, engine work, or all of the above. Don't worry, he probably had major work done to his car.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

About 6 months ago I lost to Civic hatchback. It was at a stoplight and he had me a car lenght the entire time. I slowly started to gain around 90mph but we were coming up on traffic so we backed off. The whole time his exhaust fumes were jet black. I don't what the heck he had under his hood.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
He either had an engine swap, turbo/sc, engine work, or all of the above. Don't worry, he probably had major work done to his car.
That is a fact! That car sounded like no other civic I ever heard of. It was all motor for sure and sounded like he was shifting at like 10k rpm. His exhaust was also open header even though he had the stock exhaust hangin in place!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would bet he had a b18c which is a GSR motor swap and type R head and cams. It is about a $5000 job that results in high 12's and low 13's with little else. Now THAT would be a fun car! Buy a salvage title Civic and GSR, and viola, the ULTIMATE sleeper!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:34 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

hey you can't win them all.... but you can UPGRADE and try again
Old 11-01-2001, 09:01 AM

I have a video of a turbo civic beating a ferrari. By the end of what looks like 1st gear the ferrari is toast.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

I got beat by a Civic DX with an H22, the lude SH engine and NOS. He had a header catback, CAI, and no power steering, it was fast, I'm not sure if he nos'd though. There's a guy in my club that has a 96 Civic 2dr with a J-Spec 2.3L from a 93 Lude, but he has the DX ECU still in place. so he can't take advantage of the top end cuz it limits. Right now I take him, but that isn't sayin much. Until he gets a different ECU, all he'll be seeing is
M A X I M A
Old 11-01-2001, 09:56 AM

H this and H that damnit, I'm confused.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:11 AM

Reply, yo_its_ok

I feel the same way about these little 4 bangers with all that potential power. I just hope with the recent NISMO announcement we can get some more performance mods for the 5th Gen Max. I just hope in the coming years we can get a tuner similiar to AMG or Dinan and have our Max turned into a true "Sports Sedan".
Old 11-01-2001, 10:21 AM

What NISMO announcement?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:24 AM

Fazal....

Follow this link for the post:

Nismo Post
Old 11-01-2001, 10:41 AM

I raced a little turbo civic a few months ago . My 95 did not have headers or a UDP at the time. Anyways we went from 0-90mph and I beat the sucker by 2 feet, it was great! It was funny how the car was almost identical in speed to mine, of course I was just smigen quicker .
Old 11-01-2001, 10:48 AM

Reply to yo_its_ok

yo_its_ok

I look forward to 2002 and the work that you've done for our beloved Max. Keep us posted
Old 11-01-2001, 11:00 AM

I still don't see why anyone ever is overwhelmed when they get beat by a Civic or any FWD 4cyl Honda. There's sooo much available to make them fast...the average hybrid should be in the 14s or faster (except ZCs in CRX/Civics).

I expect to run low-mid 14s with my CRX...didn't cost a fortune either. I also plan on turning 1.19 lateral G's with the new tires. Slalom speeds of 76-77mph.

Good death, now, go get some more mods, a 50 shot, and find him again.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Take a pick...any of my cars.... wanna run ?

Actually run my Pathfinder...that should give you enuff to worry about.
I beat on ITRs in a SUV, just past 100mph my car falls back and tops out at 122mph.

Old 11-01-2001, 11:24 AM

Would j00 like to race
Not today . Your to far away anyways.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:40 AM

Don't worry...It's all good. The lighter,smaller civics will always have the upper hand on us...not unless the civic is packed with a bunch of sumo wrestlers.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:59 PM
PhatGuy

Not much of a race when it ends half way through second gear. Going to theblue's school of how to launch a Maxima fast might help. As well as the fact your car is essentially stock while this guy was riced right out. Don't sweat it!

Old 11-01-2001, 02:07 PM

always ?......
Yes. Always.

A lighter car will ALWAYS have an upper hand on a heavier car.

For example...

a 1900lb car with 190bhp has a weight to hp ratio of 10lbs per hp.

a 3000lb car with 300bhp has a weight to hp ratio of 10lbs per hp.

Assuming both are RWD, have double wishbone suspension all around... which is going to be a better performer ALL around?

The lighter car will, of course.

Let's switch it around:
Let's assume both are FWD, the lighter vehicle has independant rear suspension while the heavier vehicle has a solid rear axle. Which is going to be a better performer...

That's why most hondas have the upper hand on maximas. But, the Maxima has a great torquey engine and a decent 5spd transmission where as the average Hondas has a mediocre engine (D-series are pretty bland and boring) and great transmissions (5spds).
Old 11-01-2001, 02:09 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2

Yes. Always.

A lighter car will ALWAYS have an upper hand on a heavier car.

For example...

a 1900lb car with 190bhp has a weight to hp ratio of 10lbs per hp.

a 3000lb car with 300bhp has a weight to hp ratio of 10lbs per hp.

Assuming both are RWD, have double wishbone suspension all around... which is going to be a better performer ALL around?

The lighter car will, of course.

Let's switch it around:
Let's assume both are FWD, the lighter vehicle has independant rear suspension while the heavier vehicle has a solid rear axle. Which is going to be a better performer...

That's why most hondas have the upper hand on maximas. But, the Maxima has a great torquey engine and a decent 5spd transmission where as the average Hondas has a mediocre engine (D-series are pretty bland and boring) and great transmissions (5spds).
Your car is 1900lbs with 190bhp and you ran close to 16seconds in the 1/4 mile right?

Old 11-01-2001, 02:33 PM

Yeah mid summer last year i saw a 98 Civic HB w/ a H22 swap with basic bolt ons i.e. headers,intake. His first run clicked at 13.8 @102 now imagine if he had NOS or forced induction.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:59 PM

Dont even sweat it! I have a friend with a bone-stock looking civic hatch red, I mean 15'hubcaps, stock exhaust, ect... he runs 11's!!!!
Yup, he has a Type R engine in that little sucker! Look at the bright side, your Maxima is a pimp looking car and that civic looks like a micro-machine.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

If he has a DX ECU ...the car will not start, and he would need a harness adapter, if not the whole harness, and he would need emissions controls from a donor H22A ?

Emissions illegal swap too 96 chasis w/ 93 motor ?
This swap makes no sense.
JDM H23A ? for that price H22A w/ used H23 block is all thats needed, why bother spending all that money.
HAP sent my friend H22 heads, H23A Block w/ ECU and tranny for a little over 3600, that JDM H23 would cost easily $4000+

emmissions over here is not a big thing, my car's hasn't been tested in 6yrs. I am not sure exaclty what engine he has, but what I wrote is what he told me. As for the h22, that is real, I saw them swap it from a totaled 98 Lude.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:38 PM

Hmmmm

Interested to see what Yo-Its-ok has in store for next spring.... I just hope he's going to sell it
Old 11-01-2001, 03:43 PM

It remind me my first car a civic 1977, it was a real POS, but after destroying the engine around 30K miles, I decided to fit a totally rebuild accord engine which was 1600CC, we were able to fit a Dual webber carburator custom headers, plus few other mods that I cant remember exactly, this is not to say all the fitting we had to do with suspension, engine mount etc. On the day one we tried the car, my thoughs were lets run with my friend who had a Nova with a v8-350 and a 4 speed hurst tranny, I was thinking if I can just follow him from a decent distance I would be happy, it didn't take long to figure it out, from the first run I litterally smoke him by few car on a distance of approx 1/8 -1/4 of a mile, but when ever I was getting in the higher speed the car was shaking all around and I quickly figure that this Honda was really fun from a dead stop up to 80mph over that speed it was a dangerous car to drive the handling was really bad an unstable. I kept it just to have fun an smoke fast car on the start, my friend couldn't believe how this little beast was pulling from bigger car but always on a short run cuz in the higher speed I was affraid to drive it pass 75-80.

Cheers

DoubleA
Old 11-01-2001, 04:09 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: I got beat by a civic, and it wasn't even close!!

Originally posted by jhans114

Dont even sweat it! I have a friend with a bone-stock looking civic hatch red, I mean 15'hubcaps, stock exhaust, ect... he runs 11's!!!!
Yup, he has a Type R engine in that little sucker! Look at the bright side, your Maxima is a pimp looking car and that civic looks like a micro-machine.
Ya if I wore a visor cap sideways on my head, baggy azz pants and shirt with big wooden beads as a necklace or a icyhot stuntaz necklace I would probably love a riced out civic or any civic for that matter!

Old 11-01-2001, 06:44 PM

Damn!!!! at least your car isn't TEAL.. ug, thank god for that
Old 11-01-2001, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Your car is 1900lbs with 190bhp and you ran close to 16seconds in the 1/4 mile right?
No no no no... that's 1900lbs and 130bhp and it ran a 15.50. But good guess.

Not always....and stop with the paper stats...real world stats please..yeah what happened during your 16 seconds of fame down the 1/4 ?
Real world stats? yeah, the 190bhp in a rwd 1900lb car is a bit much. But, how are they "unreal".

2200lb EG (92-95) Civic Hatch with a B16A (160bhp)...it has 13.75lbs to move for every HP.

3200lb 00-01 Maxima 5spd with stock VQ (222hp, for the most part)...it has 14.41lbs per hp to move.

Hmmm, based on weight-to-hp ratios, who wins? And don't pull the gearing trick. I'm almost 95% sure a s1 transmission that typically comes with a B16 has better gearing than the 5spd in the Maxima.

no matter what the paper and #s on paper say...it all boils down to the driver...
But, we're not comparing DRIVERS, we're comparing CARS. I'm sure I would click off better times around an autocross course in your car than you would, but we're not comparing Driver A vs Driver B.

I know that driver is the most important factor in any form of racing, but, if you can get an average driver in the above example civic , vs an average driver in the above example maxima, the civic is going to win in any kind of race...ALWAYS, assuming the drivers are equal.

This is basic math, I'm surprised you can't grasped these simplistic concepts. Lighter is ALWAYS better, when the vehicles have identical weight to HP ratios.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:00 AM
PhatGuy

http://www.supraforums.com/supravb/s...?threadid=8872

Old 11-02-2001, 06:13 AM

No longer will I hear that a 4 door sedan can't do that, or solid beam rear suspension this and that. It will all change.

-I promise you that.
You sir, are a bad a$$. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us all. Keep up the awesome work.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:53 AM

No longer will I hear your bantering pessimistic remarks about maximas, and praise of your Hondas. No longer will I hear that a 4 door sedan can't do that, or solid beam rear suspension this and that. It will all change.
I think you're missing the point.

This isn't a Maxima vs honda debate. If you wish to change my words around, by all means.

Praising Hondas? No. It's praising lighter cars and the FACT that lighter cars will out-perform heavier cars when the same weight-to-hp ratios are present and there's no drastic difference in torque figures.

solid rear axles are NOT the best suspension design for corner carving either. BUT, it has been used and used effectively (Camaros are a prime example). A BETTER design is independant rear suspensions, if it wasn't, professional race cars wouldn't use them.

Thanks for proving me RIGHT phatguy. Actually, in that thread i stated 108bhp, which is probably closer to truth. I had a DOHC ZC (130bhp stock) in the car that had bad rings. Also had a cracked header, exhaust leaks, drastic alignment (1/16 toe out for the front tires, 1/16 toe in for the rear, good for turn-in, horrible for straights)

CURRENTLY, i have a B16A (160bhp). Phatguy, i'm more than willing to school you with this sappy little honda in any form of racing...braking, 0-60, 0-100, 0-100-0, slalom, skidpad, 1320ft, full mile, road course, oval, etc. I guarantee i'll crush you in every event, since you think I can only do 16s

Maybe you can be man enough and run the Open Track Challenge?
http://www.opentrackchallenge.com
Since you're such a know-it-all...
Old 11-02-2001, 08:56 AM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2

I'm the best!
I think you have too much salt in your diet!

WoW I'm going to sell my car right now and buy 8 or 9 LEMON YELLOW CRX!

Good luck to you! Stop spanking those MKiV Supras now!

Read your 5th post on your thread! I see 16??

Great Supra Kill story btw! Some of the replies made me laugh like the 4th post!

Old 11-02-2001, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy

I think you have too much salt in your diet!

WoW I'm going to sell my car right now and buy 8 or 9 LEMON YELLOW CRX!

Good luck to you! Stop spanking those MKiV Supras now!

Read your 5th post on your thread! I see 16??

Great Supra Kill story btw! Some of the replies made me laugh like the 4th post!
Old 11-03-2001, 05:04 AM

Jibba Jabba...I grasp the concept obviously. This is what I do everyday, I'm just sick of seeing it, I guess this my vent to the Honda world...I've built too many hybrids, I know the potential behind every project, now I can call them "typical" packages, explain what goes into them, and give them results.
My 3 project Maximas were a b!tch to work on, those that have been to "Area 51" where I am assembling the cars, and where they sit now, have seen the work, and believe me, I understand fully, but when the time comes in May of 2002 when Dark Matter, Assassin and One Lap are released out of their cage, this sport sedan world will change. No longer will I hear your bantering pessimistic remarks about maximas, and praise of your Hondas. No longer will I hear that a 4 door sedan can't do that, or solid beam rear suspension this and that. It will all change.

-I promise you that.
I will be waiting for May 2002. Hogan, do not dissapoint us
Old 11-03-2001, 07:49 AM

mmm turbo'ed civics..

this summer i was cruising around north jersey in mommy's 2k2 330i 5spd (with the M3 front end ). and i hear a blow valve come up behind me with all this exhaust noise, and the light ahead turns red.. so i pull over to the right lane to talk to this kid..

white civic with full shogun kit, dual exhaust, 18's, kaminari hood, bright *** lights and all that.. he yells over, "nice car, is it stock?" i said "sure is.. what you running besides the turbo??" he said he had some "b21287adadndodui922" engine swap (i couldnt understand), and he was telling me how bad he would smoke me..

so at this point i turn my attention to the light.. turns green and i spin the tires as he starts to pull away they catch.. by 2nd gear, i chirped btw , and have a car on him.. at about 95mph i am 3-4 car lengths ahead when he flashes me and makes a quick right..

some civics have it and some dont i guess..