5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2000, 08:05 AM

Question about Steering on 2000 SE????

I heard people say here couple days ago that they had Nissan Service do some kind of Steering tightning.

I went and asked Nissan Sercvice people and they said there no such thing.
The reason I am asking is because when I go over the bumps on the road I get that sort of nocking feel in my steering wheel. I have 2000 SE.
It sort of like feels like you know when the car is turned off and you move steering wheel back and forth couple times quickly, you get this nocking sound and feel in the steering wheel. It supposed to do that when the car is off. Something to do with power steering I think I heard somewhere. But this feel and sound in steering wheel should go away as you start the car.

But I get that sort of feel when I go over bumps on the road and stuff.
Very annoying.
Anyone knows what it can be?

Thanks.

[Edited by Dany on 08-29-2000 at 03:30 PM]
Old 08-29-2000, 05:50 PM

Re: Question about Steering on 2000 SE????

I've got a similar situation in my 2000 SE. Whenever I hit a bump with one front wheel, I feel a knock in the steering wheel. My first inclination is that there is something loose in the suspension. I'll have to take it back to the dealer some day and have them take a look at it. Hopefully I can figure out what the problem is on my own since most mechanics at dealerships create more problems than they fix.

I do have the factory service manual for the 2000. In the steering section the only adjustment shown is to the "pinion rotating torque" (ST23).

Old 08-30-2000, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I went to the dealer and they said

that my endlink on the sway ba rmight be bad. And it might be causing that knocking feel. But they checked it out and said it was ok. They replacing my Front Right Strut and Strut Mount cause it was defective and was causing all sort of creaking noises.
They said that it might be related to that strut mount.
But I don't think so, cause it happens on the left side when I hit a bump too.
I hate that knocking feel in the steering wheel. Feels loose and ****tty. ;(

Anyways.
I will try to tell them that thing that you said might be adjustable, see if they know what is up. Man I hate Nissan sercice ;(.

I will let you know if I get it fixed.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2000, 07:48 AM

manual

oh smack you have the manual? they told me it's on a CD or something. can i get a back up copy??? or how much u want for it?
Old 08-30-2000, 09:19 AM

Re: manual

Yes, I got the manual when I bought the car. I first negotiated the price of the car which was easy since the dealer's internet special was invoice. Next, I told the salesman that I would take that deal if he included the factory service manual. He came back and told me that the factory service manual cost is around $150 and that he didn't have enough margin on the deal to include it. Having called the publisher that sells the manuals, I knew that I would have to pay $300 for the manual if I bought it through the normal retail channel. Therefore, I offered an extra $100 for the manual, and he took the offer.

At first the salesman told me that they would get me the CD-ROM version since it should be cheaper than the printed version. I later found out that I would be getting the printed version since the CD-ROM is not for sale to the public.

This service manual is comprised of 3 very large volumes. I intend on keeping it as long as I have the car. If you need any specific information, I'll be happy to help you out.

Originally posted by mingo
oh smack you have the manual? they told me it's on a CD or something. can i get a back up copy??? or how much u want for it?

Old 08-31-2000, 03:44 AM

speed sensor

wooo hooo.. i can finally finish installing the navi unit.. can u help me out on the question stlv??? which color wire is the speed sensor wire behind the guages? and where? i tapped into the blue white i think. what's that?? help is greatly apreciated thanx.. an email would be even more apreciated.
Old 08-31-2000, 11:10 AM

Re: Re: Question about Steering on 2000 SE????

Originally posted by STLV
I've got a similar situation in my 2000 SE. Whenever I hit a bump with one front wheel, I feel a knock in the steering wheel. My first inclination is that there is something loose in the suspension. I'll have to take it back to the dealer some day and have them take a look at it. Hopefully I can figure out what the problem is on my own since most mechanics at dealerships create more problems than they fix.

I do have the factory service manual for the 2000. In the steering section the only adjustment shown is to the "pinion rotating torque" (ST23).

Hey, can you scan for me, if it is possible the front suspension assemlby on 2000 SE from that service manual you have.

Thanks much.