5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ignition coil makes the check engine light blink ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Ignition coil makes the check engine light blink ?

Hello, I'm having yet another problem! Just changed the starter and spark plugs ! But now I'm having what looks like an ignition coil problem! Shaky engine check engine light is on, TCS and Slip lights are also on, which obviously looks like an ignition coil problem since i had some in the past!, I remember one day talking to a mechanic who owned a Pathfinder 2000 about the ignition coil issue, he told before having it changed! most of the time, its a connection problem, he told me to take out the faulty ignition coil clean harness connecter and the contacts on the ignition coil with wd40 or other electrical contact cleaner! and try to put it back on and it would sometimes fix the problems.

Anyways, I will try cleaning it out, but im worried about another thing, could a spark plug 2 tightened create such a problem? I might of have f**ked one of the rear ignition coils by pushing 2 hard on it ! anyways can anyone help,

2day i took the car around the block! I noticed that when I pushed hard on the gas pedal after some time the car would start acting normal again tho the TCS and SLIP light are still on, later i try it again but the check engine light started blinking!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I kept having a misfire on one of my coils. It was intermittent. Sometimes when I gave it a little gas it would stop. However, one day while I picked it up for some warranty work at the dealer, it started to miss really bad and the CEL was blinking, usually indicating something serious (like knock or detonation), and at that point the car should not be driven. Got it back to the dealer and they ran a diagnostic check on the car and it was the #1 coil malfunctioning. Bought a coil there on the spot and it's been fine since. This was after I replaced the spark plugs on all cylinders, and had a rear valve cover replaced.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM

i replaced my #1 cylinder ignition coil pack..and it still acts up..i'm going to try to clean my contacts. thanks for the heads up i've been wondering about this for a while
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

blinking CEL means that the cat. conv. is beeing damaged.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nsnrider
blinking CEL means that the cat. conv. is beeing damaged.
It means that there's a misfire severe enough that the converter could be damaged (due to fuel), not necessarily that it is. If your problems on the misfiring cylinder(s) are fuel related, and not ignition, then that doesn't apply.

Regardless, blinking CEL == multiple cylinder misfire.