5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

tranny missing p0720 help please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pahanorlando
I recently made a DIY how to change the speed sensor, its VERY EASY, but if someone wants the instructions, here you go:

http://bestpcreviews.com/car/239-nis...-solution.html

Originally Posted by pahanorlando
I recently made a DIY how to change the speed sensor, its VERY EASY, but if someone wants the instructions, here you go:

http://bestpcreviews.com/car/239-nissan-maxima-infiniti-i35-p0720-solution.html
Hi Guys,

I am owning a 2000 Infiniti i30 currently. Recently I changed the left side CV axle in my car in a private service centre. While returning from the sservice centre after driving over 15 miles, my car suddenly shifted to first gear when I started from a signal and did not shift up. It got normal after restarting where I saw the O/D light blinking for a few seconds. After this whenever I take a drive of 30 mins or more in a freeway I am seeing the O/D light blinking during the next start (15 to 16 blinks). The code shows up P0720 and P1320. P1320 is something related to ignition coils. So, P0720 should be the root cause for this transmission issue.

My question is whether this is related to VSS sensor since this issue has happened only after doing the CV axle replacement. Also my speedo is working normally. Am thinking of whether to do it myself or to take to the service centre who has changed the cv axle. It would be helpful if anyone could guide me in this.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by karthikbenz
Hi Guys,

I am owning a 2000 Infiniti i30 currently. Recently I changed the left side CV axle in my car in a private service centre. While returning from the sservice centre after driving over 15 miles, my car suddenly shifted to first gear when I started from a signal and did not shift up. It got normal after restarting where I saw the O/D light blinking for a few seconds. After this whenever I take a drive of 30 mins or more in a freeway I am seeing the O/D light blinking during the next start (15 to 16 blinks). The code shows up P0720 and P1320. P1320 is something related to ignition coils. So, P0720 should be the root cause for this transmission issue.

My question is whether this is related to VSS sensor since this issue has happened only after doing the CV axle replacement. Also my speedo is working normally. Am thinking of whether to do it myself or to take to the service centre who has changed the cv axle. It would be helpful if anyone could guide me in this.
It would be of great help if some one could provide the inputs on this.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:01 AM

I have the same exact issue as the original post...all the same things going on.

I changed the speed sensor on top of the tranny and no improvement. I also put in another cluster since the gauges would sometimes just "drop dead"...

Seems to have fixed that issue, but still all the erratic shifting and dropping into neutral...

Difference is I have a 1997...Do I have a second speed sensor and, if so, where?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by chrisduke
I have the same exact issue as the original post...all the same things going on. I changed the speed sensor on top of the tranny and no improvement. I also put in another cluster since the gauges would sometimes just "drop dead"... Seems to have fixed that issue, but still all the erratic shifting and dropping into neutral... Difference is I have a 1997...Do I have a second speed sensor and, if so, where? Thanks, Chris
Try a new drop resistor.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Try a new drop resistor.
Why do you suggest that? First time I'm hearing about it.

Dealer only part?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0720, P1574, P0455 and P1448

I am receiving the codes P0720, P1574, P0455 and P1448. I went to advance auto parts and bought a Transmission Speed Sensor. There are two right next to each other though. There was one in more towards the motor and one more towards the drivers side tire. They look identical, I pulled both of them. I took the new speed sensor and replaced the one in more towards the motor, was this the wrong one to replace? If I replaced the wrong one, can I just put the old one back in and take the one I bought and switch out the sensor that is located more towards the drivers side tire? I attached a picture of my transmission with paper towel stuffed in the two sensor locations after I took them out.

The problem I was having is that sometimes it seems like the car doesn't up shift going from a stopped position. The RPM's just go through the roof and I can't get the car going more than 20 mph or so.
Attached Thumbnails tranny missing p0720 help please.-speed-sensor.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kcrad
I used to work at vato zone.

I have the same code P0720. It says either the sensor is bad or it's not plugged in.

Went ahead bought the VSS from zone (dumbass) and I still get the code every couple of weeks.

The worst part is about once a week my car goes into limp mode (20mph and no faster).

I pull over, turn the car off, turn it on no more limp mode.

I just got off the phone with a reputable tranny shop. He told me since my speedo still works I need the Input Speed Sensor aka Turbine speed sensor.

I'll let ya'll know how it works out. I'm just concerned I bought a bad part from the Crap Zone in the first place.

Any advice would help

TIA
Had same exact problem & code & it was the vehicle OUTPUT speed sensor. My speedometer was working too and my friend checked the code & his computer said Po720-vehicle output speed sensor. Had it changed, car runs like new & problem solved.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by evi1maxima
For the past few weeks now I've ran into a problem, my 2000 maxima se, AUTOMATIC, feels like the cars been slipping when driving weather I'm going 10mph, or 75mph, randomly it feels like it's going into neutral, now I've pulled my cel and received error p0720 and one for my o2 sensor, also randomly just about every few days when I start the car weather it is warmed up or first thing in the morning my o/d will blink, theres 1 long blink then 15 short blinks, I've already replaced the speed sensor, inspected the wiring and after replacing it it helped out but still randomly it happens but not as often. I'm at wits end and about to trade this sucker in but I love my maxima. any advice besides taking it to the dealer would be great, the dealers around my area are retarded, I've gotten 4 techs up there looking at my car for blinker fluid so yeah there not touching it. I'm well into replacing any and everything myself. just need to know if anybodys ran into this problem. and I've searched and searched for weeks and nothing. on any fourms.

cliff notes for those who don't wanna read:

randomly get a miss shift, unless I tap the gas over and over to get it to force it to shift

get cel p0720 and also one for my o2 sensor

my o/d blinks 16 times on start up randomly 1 long blink and 15 short blinks.

at wits end.
Had same problem, its the vehicle OUTPUT speed sensor, had it replaced & car runs like new. Ses light is off & tranny shifts like new.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kcrad
Well, the other sensor (magnetic one) was changed a week ago.

I have that sensor and the orange geared one changed. Yesterday, the damn light came on, saame code p0720.

I have a 2000 GLE. I was on O'reilly's site and they had one of the gear type sensors, colored green for 16'' tires.

Would this make a difference since I have 16" tires? Just out of curiousity, if the geared sensor and the magnetic one were put in the wrong places, would the car even run?
You need VEHICLE OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR, there are no wheels or color gears on it. Its all black & plugs in. I have a 2000 gle, had same problem. Replaced it & tranny shifts like new and the ses light is gone.