5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone vented their hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone vented their hood?

Hey, I'm a MAXIMA.ORG rookie! These site is awesome. I'm in Canada and was hoping someone can help me since I don't know anything about performance.

1) I'm strongly considering venting my hood (mainly to be different) but I don't know how that will affect my performance. The vent will be right over the Intake. IS this a bad move? Will it work similarily to a CAI?

2) I don't want to sound the those Honda's buzzing all over the place so does anyone know of an exhaust (without getting a Y-Pipe) that is not loud and annoying but still sounds "MEAN"?

Thanx

p.s. Here's a pic of my dash. I don't know any 2KMAX owner so my mod goes unappreciated. Please give comments -- Thanks
Old 11-04-2001, 10:51 AM

Hoestly, it probably isn't worth it. One, I think it will look ugly, and two, it would be too much money and too much time. Then when you go and sell the car, there will be a "hole" in the hood. Just do an OSCAI or get a supercharger.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:26 PM

hey man welcome to this site...Your canadian? cool check out www.5thgenmaximas.com we have our own canadian forum. Are you in the Toronto area? BTW nice head unit.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Has anyone vented their hood?

Originally posted by Kool-Aid77
Hey, I'm a MAXIMA.ORG rookie! These site is awesome. I'm in Canada and was hoping someone can help me since I don't know anything about performance.

1) I'm strongly considering venting my hood (mainly to be different) but I don't know how that will affect my performance. The vent will be right over the Intake. IS this a bad move? Will it work similarily to a CAI?

2) I don't want to sound the those Honda's buzzing all over the place so does anyone know of an exhaust (without getting a Y-Pipe) that is not loud and annoying but still sounds "MEAN"?

Thanx

p.s. Here's a pic of my dash. I don't know any 2KMAX owner so my mod goes unappreciated. Please give comments -- Thanks
Most aftermarket mufflers have that ricey sound. (or at least the ones i've heard) The y-pipe is a great mod that has a big increase in HP. I think you should get it. The one coming out from warpspeed will be cheaper than some mufflers (HKS)
Old 11-04-2001, 12:49 PM

Heyy

Heyyyy
He's in toronto lol. sorry, just signed up, I'm a little bit of a forum fanatic. Tell him to get his *** in gear with stuff to his car lol.

I'll try to get some pics of his car up on our site as well soon for all to see.

Oh, as far as scoops go, along the lines of this is what he was talking about, or something similar. http://www.alteredaltitude.com/memb...it/Pa220015.jpg
Old 11-04-2001, 01:19 PM

I just wanted to say nice job on the dash.. looks good.
Old 11-04-2001, 01:48 PM

Wow...

Equalizer and head unit look so flush...you did an awesome job on that. Looks very smooth and nice.
-Cyrus
Old 11-04-2001, 02:10 PM

I see that on the Heating Unit controls, you have the temp in Celsius (sp?). Does it come that way, or can you switch it (since you are in Canada? And what is the black **** coming out of the bottom right of the picture on the passenger side?
Old 11-04-2001, 02:14 PM

Black ***

If you look at a stock dash, you have a ligher/power outlet in it. When the dash was reworked, it was moved down to the side.

Just to point out a couple more things, notice the size of the little door and the placement of the hazard button.

As far as C and F, not to sure if u can change it, some cars you can some are set that way from the factory depending on whether or not u are in Canada, US and such
Old 11-04-2001, 03:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
I see that on the Heating Unit controls, you have the temp in Celsius (sp?). Does it come that way, or can you switch it (since you are in Canada? And what is the black **** coming out of the bottom right of the picture on the passenger side?

No I can't change it to Farenheit, it only stay at Celisius. Must be a Canadian thing, eh? The black **** is the cigarette lighter. I thought that whole coin holder/ashtray/whatever was a waste of space. Thanks for all of the compliments!
Old 11-04-2001, 04:07 PM

Re: Has anyone vented their hood?

Erm. This is a tough one. A hood vent/scoop is a good idea if the engine bay is running hot or if you are trying for a ram-air effect. If you're stock, you'll see very little performance gains.

First, terms:
Vent - releases hot air from the engine bay. This helps with reducing engine bay pressure at speeds. Vents, by design, do not pull air in.

Scoop - push air into the engine bay. This can be for a variety of reasons:
a. more air to the intake
b. cooler air to the intake manifold
c. cold air to the exhaust manifold/header

A CAI works like a ram air and isn't usually getting a direct blast of air...unless you have a dryer duct ducting air to the CAI. A scoop will do the same thing as the dryer duct, not the CAI. It'll just duct air hitting the front of the car to the air filter.

Problem is, you have to do a lot of cutting, welding, bondo to make it look good and it'll all cost much more money than other mods like y-pipe, muffler, FRP, etc. And you won't really benefit from the performance aspect of it unless you race where every minor mod is precious in winning.
Hope that provides some insight. My personal opinion is not to do it. Just run some dryer duct to the air filter and be done with it.

Luck is on your side...you have the beauty of a DOHC V6.
An open exhaust will be loud, but not "buzzing". If you want a sportier sound, but not obnoxiously loud, just get a Y-pipe and cut out the resonator while leaving the stock muffler on. Want more of an aftermarket sound to the car, run an universal muffler (perferably 2chamber) and y-pipe...

Want loud, y-pipe, straight through muffler, and cut the resonator out.

HTH
Old 11-04-2001, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks SCCA Solo2!

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking of looks over performance. I'm a rookie, remember? My priorities were STEREO then STYLE then PERFORMANCE.

THANK YOU MAXIMA.ORG I SEE THE LIGHT NOW!!! VROOOM VROOOM!!!!

....Okay, what if I get a CAI but instead of sending it to the fender I send it to the Hood Scoop that for some strange reason i'm obsessed on getting?

P.S. shhhhh, don't tell n-e-one.... I drive an Automajic!!!
Old 11-04-2001, 04:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Someone mentioned a carbon-fiber hood for the 5th gen Maxima. Maybe while they're building the mold for it, they can add the hood scoop. Can't think of an easier way for you to get your hood scoop.
Old 11-04-2001, 05:26 PM

Re: Thanks SCCA Solo2!

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking of looks over performance. I'm a rookie, remember? My priorities were STEREO then STYLE then PERFORMANCE.

THANK YOU MAXIMA.ORG I SEE THE LIGHT NOW!!! VROOOM VROOOM!!!!

....Okay, what if I get a CAI but instead of sending it to the fender I send it to the Hood Scoop that for some strange reason i'm obsessed on getting?

P.S. shhhhh, don't tell n-e-one.... I drive an Automajic!!!
I wouldn't suggested hooking the CAI up to a hood scoop. You won't be able to drive it in the rain, and more dirt will be sucked in. You might as well get a supercharger because the amount of money for cutting a scoop into the hood plus the CAI plus custom piping to the scoop won't be worth it. That's just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Thanks SCCA Solo2!

Alright Greg's2kGLE,

Lookin at your ride obviously you know your shism! I'll be a good grass-hoppa and get tha supercharger! Frigg, now I need to get another job.

btw, a custom hood isn't as expensive as all you guys think.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks SCCA Solo2!

btw, a custom hood isn't as expensive as all you guys think.
It really isn't. The Stillen SC is like $4K. If you spend $4K on a hood scoop you are needing medical attention.

A hood and hood scoop should only be $1500 at the MOST.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks SCCA Solo2!

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2

It really isn't. The Stillen SC is like $4K. If you spend $4K on a hood scoop you are needing medical attention.

A hood and hood scoop should only be $1500 at the MOST.
Haha, don't forget my $1,500 is Canadian which is like $10 to you Americans, eh!
Old 11-05-2001, 08:58 AM

As suggested before, you can have a hood vent for under $5.00 with a good can opener.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:31 PM

HAHA

Funny guy lol. I got a real big can opener at the shop, for some reason, he won't let me use it on his car lol.