5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Urgent Help for Valve Cover Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Need Urgent Help for Valve Cover Issue

So on my 2003 Maxima, I needed to do spark plug change at 61K. I had a random misfire, so i am going after plugs after Oxygen Sensors. Once the manifold taken off to get to rear bay of the plugs, i am shocked to see the left most spark plug drenched in reasonable amount of OIL. The mechanic who has been working on my car has suggested to do the Rear Valve Cover Gasket and the O-RINGS around the plugs.

Here is whats interesting, since i am crunched on time, i had to pay dealership the price of the gaskets. But just for the O-rings, my dealership is recommended (by dealership i mean the lady who works behinds parts counter) that I will need WHOLE REAR VALVE COVER to get the O-Rings replaced.

The front bay was fine, and other hten the rear bay leftmost spark plugs, All of the remaining plugs were Dry. Since i am already getting that done, i dont want to pay for upper plenum gasket and labor again for this to be done.

Could that oil on first spark plug be of any other reason ? Anyone else knows if i can JUST get the O-Rings for the plugs instead of dropping $150 a piece on the valve covers ???

Right now my car is all opened up in the drive way with hood down. Need to order the parts today

Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM

The o-rings are PART of the Valve cover.
You HAVE to buy the whole thing. Don't forget the GASKET for the Valve cover.
Btw - I was in for this JUST the other day....my mech said that OIL pooling IN the spark plug "tubes" WOULD eventually cause a misfire AND throw a code FOR SURE.
Replacing the Valve cover SHOULD fix this issue, unless you have something else going on.
The Valve Cover SHOULD INCLUDE a new PCV -- and unless you got screwed -- you SHOULD have 100k Platinum Plugs in your car from the factory.
I suggest having the mech pull them to see how they look -- and THEN decide whether you should replace or not...they're not cheap!
I have 64k on my car, and the plugs were in good shape!

Good luck!

gr
Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM

...just as aside...
The Valve cover from the 04's is cheaper...but I doubt they'll let you buy that one. But you can ask -- it's IDENTICAL!

Oil in the "tubes" shouldn't foul the plugs themselves...so don't fall for the line, UNLESS there is noticeable carbon build-up on the TIPS of the plugs.

My threads showed a bit of oil seapage -- but that's ok.

I had oil on my #3 & #5 plugs...#1 was clean, as was the ENTIRE front bank.
Don't know why - but this is pretty common, even for the low mileage.

Be SURE to get the PCV replaced too.

keep us posted.
gr
Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 AM

--sorry -- I thought you said you were AT THE DEALER!!
my bad.

Yeah - GET the A34 / 04 Valve cover...it's half the price!

You don't need to replace the intake/plenum gasket....just the RUBBER VC gasket.
I watched my mech put a sealant INSIDE the inner tract of the rubber gasket, and also -- don't forget to scrape the old sealant OFF the top of the valve cover seat (engine case) at the corners....and REPLACE with fresh.

I also watched him use brake cleaner and paper towls to clean the oil from inside the spark plug tubes.

You will get the PHONE BOOK of CEL codes after you hook everything back up and run the engine.
He ran it for a good 5-10 minutes, and then hooked-up the scanner to clear all the codes...said there were quite a few.

fyi.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 06-12-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:11 AM

1. So an 04 Valve cover will do the trick 100% ditto ???

2. IS PCV part of valve cover ??? ****, i had bought PCV and just today installed it before discovering valve cover. Should i just suck up the $13 stealership charged me for freaking piece of Plastic PCV ???

Thanks

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
--sorry -- I thought you said you were AT THE DEALER!!
my bad.

Yeah - GET the A34 / 04 Valve cover...it's half the price!

You don't need to replace the intake/plenum gasket....just the RUBBER VC gasket.
I watched my mech put a sealant INSIDE the inner tract of the rubber gasket, and also -- don't forget to scrape the old sealant OFF the top of the valve cover seat (engine case) at the corners....and REPLACE with fresh.

I also watched him use brake cleaner and paper towls to clean the oil from inside the spark plug tubes.

You will get the PHONE BOOK of CEL codes after you hook everything back up and run the engine.
He ran it for a good 5-10 minutes, and then hooked-up the scanner to clear all the codes...said there were quite a few.

fyi.

gr
Old 06-12-2008, 11:12 AM

Yes.
Reuse the PCV u just bought.

gr
Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM

My dealership is not the best when it comes to service. So fat lady needs VIN number to order the Rear Valve cover for me. If you can help me with part number for the rear valve cover of 04 SE maxima ill appreciate it. I guess this is going to be long I wish Dave B would answer

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Yes.
Reuse the PCV u just bought.

gr

EDIT:

DAVE B is the man. Finally talked to him and ordered the Valve Covers and Gaskets. Simply amazing guy Although i passed on buying coil packs at the moment. I had a random misfire before on cylinder number 2, (which i believe is on the front bank anyways). But the code is ghost and went away. So no code now, and ima let it go like this. hopefully, the plugs solve my gas guzzling issue.

THANKS ALOT GUYS.

Last edited by hassanqadir; 06-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 PM

SO valve covers are done. This local guy did the work and asked for very reasonable $$$. Valve covers being done, i have no codes, but still dash display is showing LOW 20s for gas mileage. Actual mileage, i have not calculated yet, but its done 140 miles to HALF THE FULL tank. I tried Lucas fuel injector cleaner a couple of months ago and picked up Chevron today. Didnt do much good last time, and i am not brave enough to try SeaFoming yet.

Before being positive on injectors, I am questioning knock sensor too, and like many here i do not have a CEL for knock sensor. Please feel free to suggest possibilities at following thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...und-14mpg.html

Oh and today, at 61K miles, i think im joining the Oil Burning Maxima Club too
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM

did you have an oil burning problem before? if so, is it fixed now with the new valve cover?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
did you have an oil burning problem before? if so, is it fixed now with the new valve cover?
The 04 valve cover change does not fix the burning problem. My 03 used about 3/4 qts every 1500 miles before now I use about 1/2 qt every 4k miles. On a side note I get about 320 miles to a tank, I put the Max in the shop today to have my mechanic look it over real good before I move to AL. I suspect I need a new O2 sensor and maybe a purge valve/charcoal canister.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 PM

I never really paid attention to Oil burning before. I usually take it easy on the car for the MOST PART. Not to say, i dont enjoy VQ35 esp when someone challenges me, but usually shifting is around 3K max. I have only driven about 200 miels after changing the valves, and had gotten an oil change about 800 miles ago. So its hard to say that valve cover replacement has resolved the issue.....
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
The 04 valve cover change does not fix the burning problem. My 03 used about 3/4 qts every 1500 miles before now I use about 1/2 qt every 4k miles. On a side note I get about 320 miles to a tank, I put the Max in the shop today to have my mechanic look it over real good before I move to AL. I suspect I need a new O2 sensor and maybe a purge valve/charcoal canister.
well thats an improvement... if the 04 valve cover doesnt cost too much, i would do it
Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by hassanqadir
I never really paid attention to Oil burning before. I usually take it easy on the car for the MOST PART. Not to say, i dont enjoy VQ35 esp when someone challenges me, but usually shifting is around 3K max. I have only driven about 200 miels after changing the valves, and had gotten an oil change about 800 miles ago. So its hard to say that valve cover replacement has resolved the issue.....
nothing related between them, mine leaks both front and rear, no codes, no oil burning.