5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Starting Issues

I know that there are a lot of starter issue threads on here, but I have a problem that I haven't seen in them as of yet. When I'm having my starter issue, sometimes I guess something arc's out and it trips a bunch of relay's.

For example, last night I was driving and stopped into NAPA for 5 minutes. I came out and the car wouldn't start. I turned it over probably 3-4 times, then I got one of those dead dashes as if the battery was dead. But when I turned the key back, the dash lights started flickering and 3 relays in the engine bay started continuously clicking (Both headlight relays & the tail light relay). My trunk pop also wouldn't work.

I disconnected the battery and re-connected it and tried again. This time the relays under the driver side dash began clicking, so I unplugged the battery again.

On the fourth try, the electrical thing didn't happen but the car still wouldn't start as if it weren't getting fuel on startup. This is the common problem that I have been getting for about 5 days now.

I've researched it and tried some stuff. I tried a bunch of different methods of depressing the gas pedal or pumping it on startup, since apparently one of the posts said that the manual tells you to depress the gas pedal on startup. This doesn't work.

I put a multimeter across the terminals on startup last night, and it dips to 10-11.5V, but this should be sufficient to start the car. It seems like the starter motor is strong, because it often turns strongly, but the engine doesn't start, which lead me to believe that it was fuel delivery.

But after the electrical problems, I'm now thinking that it may be something else.

These are the things that I have come up with while searching:
1) Floor the gas while turning off/starting (Doesn't work)
2) Crank position sensor loose (Checked it, and it's not loose)
3) Ground wires (This may attribute to the electrical problem, but I need to know where to start looking for the bad ground. Also, I don't think that this is my main problem. The starter turns fine which tells me it's not electrical, but it's like I'm not getting fuel on startup.)
I think that a ground is my secondary problem (Tripping relays), but not the main starter problem.
4) Power to coils - making no power to injectors (This means a fried ECU apparently, but I don't think that this is the problem since the car runs absolutely perfectly once it is started, it just has problems getting there).
5) Bad coils (I hope not/would cause running problems)
6) FPR (Again, would cause running problems)
7) Vapour lock in fuel lines (Wouldn't this cause problems after startup as well?)
8) Improper crank case ventilation (I have a new PCV valve and catch can, so doubtful for this)
9) Clean IACV (The car idles fine after startup)
10) Starter signal fuse (Checked it, it's fine)
11) Ignition switch (How do I test this)

A couple of notes:
1) I replaced the starter motor a week ago, and it cranks fine, so I don't think it is this.
2) I am supercharged with a Vortech FMU, but it hasn't caused problems since install 3 months ago
3) When this started happening, it only happened during hot starts, and was fine during cold starts. Now it happens all of the time (Since the electrical thing yesterday)
4) I have an Apexi NEO that adjusts the MAF signal, and is wired into the ECU in a few places. This makes the car run great when started, but I'm wondering if it is making me not start well? Again, it's been working fine for 3 months with the S/C setup.

If anyone has any advise, or knows how to check some of these things, please let me know.

I think that it's a fuel delivery thing, that may be electrical or mechanical, not sure. But the weird thing is that when started, the car runs perfectly with a great A/F Ratio, and never gives problems. The problem is ONLY on startup.
I'm stumped.

Last edited by NewfoundlandDud; 07-01-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 AM

Edit:
I'm thinking ignition switch or maybe the NEO, although when I turn off the NEO it still does this????

Does anyone know how to check the ignition switch?

Also,
Just tried the remote start.
It fired on the first try (cold start again), but after that it showed the same problems.

All morning, it has not started on the first crank, but on the second while pumping the gas it has usually started, if not then the 3rd or 4th try.

I haven't driven it and tried a hot start yet.
What could this be???

Last edited by NewfoundlandDud; 07-01-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM

These starters are picky, i just replaced mine, keept acting up, not like what you explain but it was a slow start or it seemed to catch and the compression would kick it backwords.
Take about 20 mins to put the starter in, GL.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM

Same problem, got a new starter....all better now