5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Something is strange about my passenger window controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Something is strange about my passenger window controls

My passenger window has never worked while I have owned my car (2003 Maxima). I thought the problem could be with the switch, so I removed the switch panel. The wiring harness inside the door has two connectors and the switch panel has two plugs. I found that the smaller of the two plugs (located closer to the window switch) was not plugged in. Nor could it be plugged in. The connecter and the plug are incompatible. I don't know for sure that this is the problem, but it seems fishy and I wanted to double-check this. Even more fishy is that if I look up a new stich panel, there is only one connecter which does not look like either of the ones I have. I know that the passenger door is not original to the car, so I suppose it's possible that it could be from an older car of the same generation. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on what's going on here. I'm at a loss.
Here are picture of my door, followed by a picture of a brand new switch panel:

My switch panel with one connecter plugged in.

Extra mystery connecter that does not fit empty plug on switch panel.

Brand new switch panel (image from NAPA).
Old 07-27-2023, 08:50 AM

some switches have auto up/down function and look a little different than non auto up/down switches. You will probably need to find an exact switch of what came with the car vs what it looks like someone replaced with the wrong one. I would hit up a junkyard and try to find one that matches what you have. Might even get lucky with a switch from an altima or an i35 of the same year
Old 07-27-2023, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 95GLEMAXX
some switches have auto up/down function and look a little different than non auto up/down switches. You will probably need to find an exact switch of what came with the car vs what it looks like someone replaced with the wrong one. I would hit up a junkyard and try to find one that matches what you have. Might even get lucky with a switch from an altima or an i35 of the same year
I went to a junkyard and got a switch panel that matches the connectors in the door, however the switches still do not work. I'm wondering if the door wiring is also different and I might need to buy both the switch panel and door wiring from a car of the exact same model year.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Computernaut
I went to a junkyard and got a switch panel that matches the connectors in the door, however the switches still do not work. I'm wondering if the door wiring is also different and I might need to buy both the switch panel and door wiring from a car of the exact same model year.
Very strange - something weird sounds like it must have happened if that door had repairs