5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

window goes up then back down

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 05:47 PM

window goes up then back down

When I use my auto window switch my passenger window will go all the way up then back down about 4 inches. I've seen something like this posted before but missed the fix. Some type of reset? Sorry for the repeat.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:34 PM

I don't know who posted this in the first place but thanks, it worked for me ..I had to do this about a year ago and haven't had any problems after.
the hardest part is finding the little button.

the drivers door window one-touch up function for the window was not working properly. The window would go up to the top
and then retreat about 5 inches back down again. This problem is due to the limit switch needing to be reset which at first
I thought would be a considerable job (to take off the door panel etc.) but ended up being literally a 2 minute job as the
door panel can remain in place. My dealer wanted $85 CDN for the switch reset which I knew was a rip off before I found the

Step 1: Pry the plastic cap up off the bottom centre of the door pull handle and remove the single philips screw.

Step 2: Remove the whole switch panel (in which the door pull handle sits) by prying it up from the back end either with a
flat edged screwdriver or table knife (under cloth) or by hand which is what I did. It is just clipped in so should come out
relatively easily sliding it up at the back and then pulling it back.

You can now see the inside of the door from where the switch finishing plate sat. You can leave the wiring all attached and
simply hang the switch and handle plastic assembly to one side so you can see the inside of the door.

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It
almost looks like a black pan screw head. This is the reset switch but there is a sequence to now doing the actual reset
procedure. The switch doesn't really feel like one when you press it through the plastic liner which incidentally you don't
need to cut (at least I didn't have to). It is a switch that is only on when you are pressing it otherwise when released
it is off.

STEP 3: Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power.

a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE
TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION).
b) Release the reset switch. Then close the window completely (manually only - NOT AUTO UP).
c) The limit switch is now reset. Easy!!!

This procedure worked for me straight away as I hope it will for you should you have this annoying problem.
The Nissan manual does caution you not to use the one touch UP-DOWN function during this procedure so be warned.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:31 PM

Thanks. That's what I needed.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM

OK, here's a question:

The window in question on my 2001 i30 is the front passenger window.

I'd imagine the reset switch is inside the passenger door, however will I do the controlling of the window from the driver's side or passenger side?

As I think out loud, I'd imagine it wouldn't matter (and unless you're stretch armstrong, it would be easier to use the passenger switch) since you're not using the automatic function of the switch, just recalibrating a sensor.

I'm going out to do it in a few minutes. If my aboveposted theory is incorrect, I'll update.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 AM

I have the same issue. But it comes and goes. ehh..
Thanks for posting the fix!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 AM

this happend to me...my plug for the window switch was loose...took off door panel and pluged it all the way it..fixed =)
Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Update and Verificaton:

The passenger window is repaired using the passenger switch, just as I suspected.

The switch was not easy to find at first, but once I did, I was wondering how I missed it. It took me longer to remove the switch panel than to actually perform the reset.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Thank you!!! This worked for me too...
Old 02-28-2010, 11:12 AM

I will try this. for me, the driver side auto window up would not work (down it does work) so I took it apart and tried to clean it. Put it back together and it was working fine for a couple of days. What you described happened once so I didn't think much of it. but after a few days it stopped working. I think I need a new switch probably but do you think this will solve the issue?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:17 AM

great thanks i have been needing to do this!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Had to do this last year when I bought my Max and brought it home. Simple fix. Glad I found it on here.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:50 AM

my driver side window does this too.

if i use the auto up feature, it will go all the way up, then come all the way back down.

only way i have been able to use the window is to not use the auto up or down detent.

i put very light pressure when going up or down and it works just fine.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 AM

I did it, it worked.
I had the same issue for my drivers side window!

I read another thread about how the windows go up and down slow, thats the next thing i gotta do!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM

I had the same problem for about a year and didn't know what it was. Funny, I just stumbled onto this thread and the fix worked for me too!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

got to try this my window has been doing this for a year now. thanks guys
Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WORKED GREAT BUT IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE IT WOULD BE A BUTTON. IT'S LIKE A PIECE OF RUBBER
Old 05-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

reset switch maxima "04" passenger side window

I've followed the instructions mentioned above, and successfully reset in manual operation, but it didn't correct the automatic function of the window. It Still slides down about four to six inches (didn't measure the drop distance). Is there a different reset sequence for auto function?