5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gauging Interest: Billet 5.5+ Gen Maxima MAF Adapters and/or MAF Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 AM

Still interested. Willing to put money down.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6
Still interested. Willing to put money down.
Alrighty, working on getting the dimensions and such into Solidworks and then we'll get them programmed into Mastercam to machine out a prototype for the MAF Tube and MAF Adapter.

Looks from the likes of this thread that there is interest in 3 main things:
  1. MAF Adapter for custom or replacement intakes (with options for filters)
  2. Replacement MAF Tube to drop in your existing sensor (2.75" and 3.0" options)
  3. A complete intake kit from TB to filter (short-ram and cold-air options)
Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 PM

I will buy the 3" MAF tube from you. I have been wanting one for some time now. I am going to purchase a new braille battery and put it in the trunk then get a cold air intake made for my car along with a JWT pop charger air filter put on the end. I have the money waiting for the product right now.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I have decided to stay with the stock airbox using the GAB and OSCAI mods. However, I feel a billet MAF tube would have better flow (smoother inside) than the stock one. Is the MAF tube going to be the same length as the stock one for those of us who want to stay with stock airbox? If it fits right in place of the stock MAF tube, I am definitely interested.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decoy036SPD
I will buy the 3" MAF tube from you. I have been wanting one for some time now. I am going to purchase a new braille battery and put it in the trunk then get a cold air intake made for my car along with a JWT pop charger air filter put on the end. I have the money waiting for the product right now.
We are planning on doing a CAI and short rams that would just require you to drop in your original MAF sensor, aside from the MAF tubes.

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I have decided to stay with the stock airbox using the GAB and OSCAI mods. However, I feel a billet MAF tube would have better flow (smoother inside) than the stock one. Is the MAF tube going to be the same length as the stock one for those of us who want to stay with stock airbox? If it fits right in place of the stock MAF tube, I am definitely interested.
The MAF Tube could be the same length, however it would have bead rolled ends in the production version. We could do a one-off where we would weld on a flange so that you could bolt it up to your stock Airbox.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will buy a 3" maf tube if you make it.

Also interested in 3" ID short ram intake if you make it
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 PM

Since your making a MAF tube, MAF adapter and also considering CAI/SR intakes in different sizes, im realy interested in seeing what configurations you would be willing to produce.

I would want an intake that uses the least amout of connections (as in as one-piece as you can get) while still having ease of installation. Maybe an intake configured like mine (pictured below)

where the most difficult part of installation would only be relocating the battery to the side (as oppose to cutting a hole under the fuse box which is much harder). Maybe a heat shield will even be better!

All in all, im kind of speaking for myself, its all dependant on the crowd, but i think you realy need to lay out the exact options and post a poll.

Last edited by s1mply_v; 08-17-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Waiting patiently. I've felt what the Fujita CAI does for the 04-06 (05-06 Altima) and I'd like some of that, haha!

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deal-...f-adapter.html
Post up if you're interested in a GD guys.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by HTPerformance
We are planning on doing a CAI and short rams that would just require you to drop in your original MAF sensor, aside from the MAF tubes.

The MAF Tube could be the same length, however it would have bead rolled ends in the production version. We could do a one-off where we would weld on a flange so that you could bolt it up to your stock Airbox.
Please keep it updated because I will buy one. Any estimation on what kind of price we are looking at for a CAI? The MAF sensor flange will be welded onto the intake right?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtydishes06
I will buy a 3" maf tube if you make it.

Also interested in 3" ID short ram intake if you make it
Great.

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
Since your making a MAF tube, MAF adapter and also considering CAI/SR intakes in different sizes, im realy interested in seeing what configurations you would be willing to produce.

I would want an intake that uses the least amout of connections (as in as one-piece as you can get) while still having ease of installation. Maybe an intake configured like mine (pictured in previous post)

where the most difficult part of installation would only be relocating the battery to the side (as oppose to cutting a hole under the fuse box which is much harder). Maybe a heat shield will even be better!

All in all, im kind of speaking for myself, its all dependant on the crowd, but i think you realy need to lay out the exact options and post a poll.
We will discuss some potential ideas before it goes into production to get feedback.

Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6
Waiting patiently. I've felt what the Fujita CAI does for the 04-06 (05-06 Altima) and I'd like some of that, haha!

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deal-...f-adapter.html
Post up if you're interested in a GD guys.
Have more info on that Fujita CAI?

Please keep it updated because I will buy one. Any estimation on what kind of price we are looking at for a CAI? The MAF sensor flange will be welded onto the intake right?
Yes we will be making this as comprehensive a solution as possible. Meaning that the MAFS will be bolted (dropped) into the new piping. No idea on CAI or Short-ram pricing as of yet. Will be making the MAF Adapters and individual MAF Tubes to begin.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM

well If I buy the CAI I don't want a filter with it because I will be getting a JWT pop charger... unless of course you can get that at a good deal. I can find the pop chargers for 110. The crappy Injen intake was like over 200 dollars and that thing just sucked in hot air from the radiator. Not to mention I will be moving my battery to my trunk to make room very soon.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Have more info on that Fujita CAI?
The Fujita CAI is a one-piece cold air intake made for the 04-06 Altima and 04-06 Maxima.They are made for their MAFs compared to the 00-03 Maxima, 02-03 Altima MAFs.

Generic image of a Fujita CAI. I don't believe this one is specific to the Maxima. Just showing the basics.

If you need a guinea pig, I'm more then interested. I can find a shop pretty easily to dyno before and after. But just know that my car is modified and the results may be "inflated" compared to someone who is stock and does this modification alone.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Just to keep in mind, POP (Stillen/JWT) are 3" ID, so a 3" ID MAF adapter would compliment it very well (venturi stack).
Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Just to keep in mind, POP (Stillen/JWT) are 3" ID, so a 3" ID MAF adapter would compliment it very well (venturi stack).
This JWT is on a G35, but just for image sake.

What you are saying is that you would want a replacement MAF Tube with the flange on it in order to bolt on the POP Charger?

My understanding before was that people were interested in the tube only so that any K&N or AEM etc... 3" type filter would be accomodated.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:21 PM

What you are saying is that you would want a replacement MAF Tube with the flange on it in order to bolt on the POP Charger?
Precisely.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Subscribed .

Im interested in 3"TB , 3" MAF Tube, MAF Adapter for my 2001 Maxima

and if you do a 3" CAI count me in with the Flange on it for the pop charger

Last edited by blkAEmax82; 08-20-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by nismology
Precisely.
x2
Old 08-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Velocity Stacks for the win!

Can only imagine how this modification will help with the SSIM, 3" intake and velocity stack. Ooo! Chills!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM

3" throttle body would be nice also.

To HTPerformance: On my old car (2000) altima, I had a hotshot cold air intake. The throttle body and MAF were stock because no one made anything for that. So I put a JWT pop charger air filter on the end of it using a MAF sensor adapter and connected that with silicone hose connector. It worked very well and I was able to take out my air filter quite easily to clean it when needed.

So my idea for you would be, 3 inch throttle body into 1 piece 3 inch cold air intake with a built in flange for the MAF sensor. Then a 3 inch MAF adapter into the JWT pop charger air filter. The JWT pop charger has a built in velocity stack which definitely helps a lot.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 PM

I'd be interested in a full CAI or short ram if you decide to take it that far.

I'm also interested in the MAF tube if you decide not to go the CAI/SR intake route!

Originally Posted by s1mply_v

I would want an intake that uses the least amout of connections (as in as one-piece as you can get) while still having ease of installation. Maybe an intake configured like mine (pictured below)

How is that working for you? What kind of performance and gas mileage are you seeing?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

Great responses so far! Keep the posts coming, trying to draw out all of the possible ideas you guys are interested in, so that we can design the best product. We are currently finishing up a production run of MAF Tubes for the Ford Focus (Zetec and Duratec motors) and will be working on prototyping for the 5th gen as soon as possible.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

if you made a 3'' tb the z and g guys as well as the max guys would be alll over it.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torgus
if you made a 3'' tb the z and g guys as well as the max guys would be alll over it.
Are the TB's the same between all VQ 3.5L Motors?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Unless it's an HR, yes.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
Not so sure if I agree with this. First off HP/$$ is not the strong point of a larger TB. Secondly, a few Z33's have made 300+ WHP with an unmodified TB. On top of that, there has already been a ported TB offered for the 350Z/G and has been out of production for a couple of years now due to slow sales. That combined with the inherent frugality of maxima owners makes it sound like even less of a worthwhile endeavor. It might work out, but I think it would SERIOUSLY behoove HTPerformance to do some thorough market research and not take a few users' word for it (you'll see WILD interest initially, and then...). I do applaud the willingness to bring new things to the table though regardless of what happens.

With that said, I'd be interested in one depending on the price. I would just want the project to be mutually beneficial at the same time.

Last edited by nismology; 08-23-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Unless it's an HR, yes.
Thanks for the 411.

Originally Posted by nismology
Not so sure if I agree with this. First off HP/$$ is not the strong point of a larger TB. Secondly, a few Z33's have made 300+ WHP with an unmodified TB. On top of that, there has already been a ported TB offered for the 350Z/G and has been out of production for a couple of years now due to slow sales. That combined with the inherent frugality of maxima owners makes it sound like even less of a worthwhile endeavor. It might work out, but I think it would SERIOUSLY behoove HTPerformance to do some thorough market research and not take a few users' word for it (you'll see WILD interest initially, and then...). I do applaud the willingness to bring new things to the table though regardless of what happens.

With that said, I'd be interested in one depending on the price. I would just want the project to be mutually beneficial at the same time.
Generally the benefits of increasing the diameter of the throttle body on a STOCK engine is throttle response, which translates to low end torque.

Pricing is always a question, and it really won't be known until we make a prototype to see what happens and assess the cost of making them in a larger quantity.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I had my TB bored by proflow to 70mm, it was all about the throttle response, no real gains except on the low end side of things. For some very strange reason when my engine is cold started and I tap the throttle the car stalls for a split second before reving, this only happened after I did the TB boring. I have my AFC set at 1 IN 17 OUT. I lost my damn run files with laptop hard drive crash

This whole setup is very interesting, hopefully this will all be out by the time my custom IM is done with the new cammed DEK engine, it would pair nicely with a pathy TB.

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 08-26-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:50 PM

still waiting around for information. Keep us updated please
Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 AM

yea definitely going to buy a 3" maf tube when its made to make my own true 3" ID intake. Keep us updated
Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 AM

still waiting around for information. Keep us updated please
+1. Waitin' patiently.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Toolie

I have the dimensions for the MAF screw holes and sensor hole at work. I just finished my custom design (12" long short ram intake with built in MAF, 80mm inside diameter with velocity stack) so I will try to bring the sketch home and post the hole locations.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 08-27-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Toolie

http://www.bpinitiatives.com/stacks.php

a cheaper alternative to the jwt? it's plastic, so no heat soak... they make 3" and 3.5" ID's. I got the 3.5 to fit over the OD of my custom design.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM

^You won't need that if you have your intake coupled with a JWT pop charger air filter. They already come with a billet aluminum velocity stack which is why the JWT pop charger costs so much. Good link though
Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Toolie

my soon to be installed set up

I recommended the BPI stack because it looks cleaner without the MAF adapter. (IMHO)

Last edited by knight_yyz; 08-27-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Toolie

because that 2mm is going to kill velocity?...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Toolie

looks like someone pissed in your kool aid.

159 for the jwt with filter plus 12 for the oil, 76 for the bpi with aem filter. 2 minutes on a lathe to chamfer the edge.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 AM

I thought our stock 5.5 gen MAF inside diameter was 3.0"? What benefit of your design? I see the MAF is longer and no adapter needed...any hp gain...It will definitely conduct more heat than the OEM...what your take and outlook?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

I paid $90 for my JWT from Pinnacle.

All Maximas 95-07 have a 2.75" MAF ID.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Turbo'd Saab

^^^^When the **** are you gonna be on AIM again?

We need to go out drinking again so that you don't leave me drunk messages
Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
^^^^When the **** are you gonna be on AIM again?

We need to go out drinking again so that you don't leave me drunk messages
It's a loooong weekend this weekend so you better be ready.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: Billet 5.5+ Gen Maxima MAF Adapters and/or MAF Tubes