5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

One of my parking lights is not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM

One of my parking lights is not working?

Hey guys whats up, I searched around to see if anyone else had this problem but I didn't see anything so I decided to post this is a new thread.
When I start my car in the morning and I turn my headlights on, my left parking light does not turn on right away, the right one comes on right away. (parkings lights above the orange turn signals). So I was thinking, ok, my bulb is out, but then to my surprise the left light finally came on. Its pretty weird, its kind of like a delay on the left parking light. I am thinking that there might be a loose connection or something, Any ideas on how to get this fixed? Thank guys.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM

look at the connection and see if anything is loose or something.. try jiggling the socket around and see if the light goes on and off when you move it.. if so, then you know the problem is right there... if not, the only other thing i could think of would be maybe a bad fuse??
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 AM

swap the bulb with one on the other side

jiggle the wire to see if there is a short, also look at the original bulb to make sure the little prongs are in line with the tabs inside the socket
Old 08-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Ok so I am thinking it is definately something with the connection, I turned my parking lights on right now and jiggled the wires around the socket and the light came on right away, so I though ok my problem is fixed, turned the parking lights off, about 5 minutes later I went out and turn them back on and again left one did not come on (Again). Do I need to actually remove the headlight to try to fix this?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by CARLOS9827
Ok so I am thinking it is definately something with the connection, I turned my parking lights on right now and jiggled the wires around the socket and the light came on right away, so I though ok my problem is fixed, turned the parking lights off, about 5 minutes later I went out and turn them back on and again left one did not come on (Again). Do I need to actually remove the headlight to try to fix this?
why would you remove the headlight?
check anything lose and disconnected.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by CARLOS9827
so when you turned the car on just then, the light was off, and it came on when you did the jiggling? if that's the case, you probably have a loose connection somewhere in there.. check the bulb itself too, to make sure the metal prongs line up with the metal inside the socket
Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
so when you turned the car on just then, the light was off, and it came on when you did the jiggling? if that's the case, you probably have a loose connection somewhere in there.. check the bulb itself too, to make sure the metal prongs line up with the metal inside the socket
Yeah when I turned the car on, and turned the parking lights on, only right one came on, and when I did the jiggling on the left one, that one came on also. I thought the problem was solved, so I turned the car off. 5 minutes later I went out and turned the car/parking lights back on, and only right one came on, I am sure left one would have came on if I did the jiggling thing again but I did not do it that time. I am gonna go out and check it again right now, but it just seems kinda hard to get at the parking light socket, thats why I was wondering if I should remove the headlight, I know it would also be a pain but I would have easier access...Thanks for your help by the way.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM

****UPDATE*****
Ok so I just went out to the car, and I figured out how to pull the light out easily, I had trouble the first time but this time I was able to get it out easily, I pulled the bulb out, checked it and it looks fine, checked the wires they look good also, turned the parking lights on again before putting it back into the socket and they both lit up, put it back into the socket and turn parking lights on again, and they both lit up again, I am gonna wait an hour or so and go try it again and see what happens that time. Thanks to all for your help with this.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 PM

I would like to know what happened. I haven't noticed this problem on my 2000.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by FM 1970
I would like to know what happened. I haven't noticed this problem on my 2000.
It's called a bad connection, probably just removing the bulb from the socket and properly seating/installing it fixed the problem.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
It's called a bad connection, probably just removing the bulb from the socket and properly seating/installing it fixed the problem.
I remember this being a problem with the tail lights on the 1993 Maxima SE I used to own.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 PM

I look at my bulbs with a magnifier, blast the socket out with electrical spary and hit it with compressed air.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 AM

Ok so I have driven the car a couple times since my last post, Both parking lights are lighting up on the first time so I think they are fixed, hopefully I won't have this problem again in the future cause it is Annnnnnnoying...LOL. Mostly annoying cause I don't always realize that one of my parking lights is not working since they are so small, I usually have to be stopped behind a shiny black car to notice one of them is out, by the time I get to work they are both on...sigh....hopefully they are fixed now. Thanks everyone for their help.