5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan's policy when they can't get the part?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan's policy when they can't get the part?

Earlier today I experienced a failure of my #4 ignition coil on my 2K that I purchased two years ago last September. I was told that the part is on back order and they’re not sure how long it will take to get. (Could this be days, weeks or months?????) They’re working on trying to get a definitive answer and in the mean time, put the part on "customer care" (priority).

I tried to get a loaner but the local shop would not budge. I ask them what Nissan's policy was on this and he said he would find out. I won't know until tomorrow.

The car's still under warranty, they told me not to drive it and the part is not available (sound's like Nissan's at fault here). Not to mention that after doing a quick search, it sounds like I'm not the only one experiencing this problem (hence the part shortage).

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Dan
Old 11-07-2001, 02:44 PM

Re: Nissan's policy when they can't get the part?

Originally posted by Dan00
Earlier today I experienced a failure of my #4 ignition coil on my 2K that I purchased two years ago last September. I was told that the part is on back order and they’re not sure how long it will take to get. (Could this be days, weeks or months?????) They’re working on trying to get a definitive answer and in the mean time, put the part on "customer care" (priority).

I tried to get a loaner but the local shop would not budge. I ask them what Nissan's policy was on this and he said he would find out. I won't know until tomorrow.

The car's still under warranty, they told me not to drive it and the part is not available (sound's like Nissan's at fault here). Not to mention that after doing a quick search, it sounds like I'm not the only one experiencing this problem (hence the part shortage).

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Dan
If they are at fault that is probably why they dont want you driving it. That way if they gotta fix it the costs dont go up.

SuDZ
Old 11-07-2001, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The warranty is essentially a contract. Although it doesn't say how fast they need to fix your car, I believe you can argue (under contract law) that they have an obligation to fix it within a reasonable time. They don't appear to be able to do that.

Really, there is little difference between refusing to fix it and not being able to fix it. Either way, they are not honoring their obligation under the warranty. You should at least be entitled to reimbursement for a rental car during the time period they can't fix the car.

Hopefully, they'll help you out.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

u need to be a minor like me so u can void like any contract
Old 11-07-2001, 05:05 PM

I would insist on a loaner

If they don't have the part and told you not to drive it I can't believe they will not give you or pay for a loaner/rental car.

Tell them to put the part from one of the cars on the lot!

I would call Nissan Customer Service about it if they don't come up with a loaner.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:25 PM

Dan & all- Customer Care is Nissan's highest order level, but you can't really tell when you will actually get the part. Those coils have been on & off back-order at lot latley, the question in my mind is how hard did your dealer look for the part at a dealership level.
When we have a warranty back-order situation, especially when the customer can't drive his car(!), we try pretty hard. We call all the other dealerships in our area, we are on several national locators (most dealerships are) even if the part is 2,000 miles away, we get it coming! That coil is bound to be somewhere! I'll see if I can locate one in the morning.
Regards,
David Burnette, Town North Nissan
Old 11-08-2001, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There's good news and bad news to this story.

The good news is Nissan (not the dealer) agreed to give me a loaner. The dealer decided that it should be a 2001 Sentra but it's better than nothing.

The bad news is the ETA for the part that the dealer is giving me is November 30th!

If anyone knows where I (or my dealer) can get the part sooner, I'd love to know.

Dan
Old 11-09-2001, 06:11 AM

A loaner is given if you have an extended waranty.