5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lubing a Squeeking Strut

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Lubing a Squeeking Strut

I have been battling what i though was a rattling/squeeking exhaust for several weeks coming from the tail end of my 00' SE. My mechanic did a trunk drive with me (i was not in the trunk with him) and a remote microphone that we hooked up under the car, and he is convinced that it is a bad strut, and not the exhaust. I did some checking around here and am wonding if there is a way to lube the exhaust just to make sure? I have 852 billion miles on the original struts (actually 166k). I am planning on replacing the struts, but I do not want to get it back and find something else, and have to go carless for additional time. If I can isolate, I can get it taken care of at one time.

thanks.

G

Last edited by geenowalker; 08-27-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by geenowalker
I have 852 billion miles on the original struts (actually 166k). I am planning on replacing the struts, but I do not want to get it back and find something else, and have to go carless for additional time.
You're planning to replace the struts because of high mileage or the possible squeeking noise? And changing struts out should take 2hrs tops minus the waiting time.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have you been following Nissan's recommended muffler bearing lubrication schedule. If you have not been lubing the muffler bearings regularly they will wear and need replacing. Just stop into any part store and ask the for new muffler bearings and a can of lube. They should get you fixed up in a jiffy!

Seriously, the exhaust is hung from the car by rubber insolaters, unless they have broken or other parts of your exhaust are rusted through, this should not be the problem. When replacing the rear struts you should replace the upper strut mounts also, this could be a source of your squeeks.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM

the rattling is potentially the exhaust, get some new hangers and that might take care of the rattling. the squeak is probably a suspension component weather it be a bushing or the strut itself.

If it is a suspensions squeak you will probably be able to hear it if you jack that corner of the car up in the air. I had a squeaky control arm bushing on a G20 i once had that i took care of with a little bit of cleaning and all purpose grease.

By the way are you running stock exhaust or aftermarket? the rattling might be caused by a fitment issue if you are aftermarket and not lazy hangers
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
DAP

You can spray a lubricant on the hook where the hangers go and that will may put stop the squeaking. Of course you would have to reapply when it returns.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 AM

First,,,thanks for the advice all.

Second, I am running a stock exhaust with a new muffler. But, this is not the issue. We took off the whole exhaust and the noise did not change. We are pretty certain (90%), that its the struts, but I just want to make sure.

IHAVEA2KMAXIMA - this is my company car (my own business), and my new car (4runner) will be the new company car, so I am replacing some big ticket items to get the write-off. (Stuts, Water pump (leak), belt replacement, etc). If I did not have the squeek, I would have just waited on the struts until they totally went, but since I am looking at keeping the max for another 70K (hopefuly), I am putting the commitment into her.

Besides, I friggen love this car.

g
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by geenowalker
I have been battling what i though was a rattling/squeeking exhaust for several weeks coming from the tail end of my 00' SE. My mechanic did a trunk drive with me (i was not in the trunk with him) and a remote microphone that we hooked up under the car, and he is convinced that it is a bad strut, and not the exhaust. I did some checking around here and am wonding if there is a way to lube the exhaust just to make sure? I have 852 billion miles on the original struts (actually 166k). I am planning on replacing the struts, but I do not want to get it back and find something else, and have to go carless for additional time. If I can isolate, I can get it taken care of at one time.

thanks.

G
With that many miles on those struts it's more than likely the culprit. As for your exhaust just jack the car up on 4 jack stands and creep/crawl under it and shake the exhaust to visually inspect it for interference with the heat sheilds or other components. If you feel you exhaust hangars are weak/worn/deteriating check out NAPA. Their exhaust hangars are just as beefy as NISMO for a hell of a cheaper price...Never spray rubber with oil/petroleum based lube it destroys rubber! Use soapy water!