5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Window problem

Coming home from running tonight, I was rolling my windows down when all of a sudden all of them besides the driver's window stopped. Now, none of the windows respond (again, besides the driver's one) and they're stuck half way down. I tried on both the master control on the driver's door and the controls on each of the other doors and they don't move.

I checked all fuses (including the 40A fusible link in the engine bay) and everything is good.

The front passenger window worked when I used the keyfob to roll it down, and I was able to get it up using the turn-key method, but the back ones are still down and the controls inside the car still don't respond for any of the windows besides the driver's one...it rains a lot here and I don't want my car to get broken into so I need to fix this ASAP. Any ideas on what could cause just the 3 passenger window controls to stop working?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Coming home from running tonight, I was rolling my windows down when all of a sudden all of them besides the driver's window stopped. Now, none of the windows respond (again, besides the driver's one) and they're stuck half way down. I tried on both the master control on the driver's door and the controls on each of the other doors and they don't move.

I checked all fuses (including the 40A fusible link in the engine bay) and everything is good.

The front passenger window worked when I used the keyfob to roll it down, and I was able to get it up using the turn-key method, but the back ones are still down and the controls inside the car still don't respond for any of the windows besides the driver's one...it rains a lot here and I don't want my car to get broken into so I need to fix this ASAP. Any ideas on what could cause just the 3 passenger window controls to stop working?
I think there is a buttom on the driver side controls that can lock all the windows except the driver's.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
I think there is a buttom on the driver side controls that can lock all the windows except the driver's.
yeah checked that too and it's off....still doesn't work. I also unplugged the battery for 15 minutes to no avail.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 AM

Alright, I brought my car over to my friend's house last night and put it in his garage because it rained and I left the battery unplugged over night. Now the windows work....Still have no idea what caused it but let's hope it doesn't happen again.

Now everything is back to normal except my sunroof. The controls don't work and I can't even do that reset procedure where you hold the tilt button in the closed position, because that opens the sunroof....
Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 AM

When i was doing LEDs in my window switches i've noticed that if master switch is not working then other switches won't work, so the problem might be with ur master switch....
Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 PM

Yup, I agree with 98 Maxi. If the drivers side control is shot, non of the windows will work since all the power goes through it first.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:10 PM

it could be your body computer is starting to act up, it controls all of these functions, which would explain why you could roll the front window down with the key fob but not the window button.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
it could be your body computer is starting to act up, it controls all of these functions, which would explain why you could roll the front window down with the key fob but not the window button.
I highly doubt it. BCM's rarely ever go bad. If it were actually going out, he would have other issues besides the windows. The keyfob bypasses the switches, that's why it still works.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
I highly doubt it. BCM's rarely ever go bad. If it were actually going out, he would have other issues besides the windows. The keyfob bypasses the switches, that's why it still works.

yea this is true