5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Automatic Tranny Fluid Flush (I've searched!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM

Automatic Tranny Fluid Flush (I've searched!)

Hey guys,

I've read for the past 2 hours regarding auto tranny flush, and while i did grasp the general concept, I didnt catch a few things. This 03 Max is my first nissan and i absolutely love the grunt (Altho the 4 speed doesn't let me take full advantage of the engine's potential) and it's a pretty solid car. She has 58K on the clock and i don't think the previous owner did any sort of a tranny fluid change. Im planning on dropping the pan and doing a full flush. After draining the pan, cleaning the screen and the pan, can anyone guide me as to how exactly im supposed to get the rest of 5-6 or however many quarts that are still inside the converter? I've read here that you should pull a hose, run the gears, and refill, but that does not explain much to me. I'm pretty mechanically savvy so if you guys can guide me in the right direction that'd be great. This is my first automatic transmission car and is my DD so any help would be great. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:58 PM

instead of doing it by yourself, I'd let someone do it for you. it's like $70 dollars to do a flush at dealer.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

follow my sig, everything is there for you.. good luck
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
follow my sig, everything is there for you.. good luck
^ Good write-up.

What was the trick to removing the one screw that held the screen? I couldn't get it off so i made just sure the screen was clean.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
^ Good write-up.

What was the trick to removing the one screw that held the screen? I couldn't get it off so i made just sure the screen was clean.
mine came off really easy
Old 09-13-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
instead of doing it by yourself, I'd let someone do it for you. it's like $70 dollars to do a flush at dealer.

I'd NEVER take my car to any stealership. I always do my own maintenance on my cars, from oil changes to custom turbo setup that's on my s2k currently. It's just that ive never worked on an auto tranny so i wanted to be fool proofed before i start.

Lontar1, thanks for that link. It was very helpful. But when I'm running the engine and running the tranny thru the gears to push the old oil out of the converter, i should do it once, stop the motor, refil, then start the motor again and repeat the process? Is there a specific way to gauge how much oil comes out each time and how much to put in without using a measuring cup? Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by tbonesteak
I'd NEVER take my car to any stealership. I always do my own maintenance on my cars, from oil changes to custom turbo setup that's on my s2k currently. It's just that ive never worked on an auto tranny so i wanted to be fool proofed before i start.

Lontar1, thanks for that link. It was very helpful. But when I'm running the engine and running the tranny thru the gears to push the old oil out of the converter, i should do it once, stop the motor, refil, then start the motor again and repeat the process? Is there a specific way to gauge how much oil comes out each time and how much to put in without using a measuring cup? Thanks again.
I used a gallon of milk to measure but you just have to look at the color of the oil. Once you see it coming out pink that's when you have to be careful on how much you put in. Look at the dipstick a few times and you will have your answer. Find someone that can help you with the on and off of the engine and gears it is better that way.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Good write-up by Lontar. The only thing I would recommend is to use a rubber mallet and knock the pan a few times to loosen it rather than a screwdriver. The tranny is aluminum and you can damage the seat where the gasket is pretty easily. A few light taps with a rubber mallet is all it take to loosen the pan.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM

When I did mine about a month ago, I was another one of the people who couldn't get that one nut off in order to get the screen out, so I just gave up and figured the screen was clean anyways. The easiest way to do the fluid measuring is to get a gallon jug and measure 2 quarts (1/2 gallon) and draw a line. Run your car until the fluid drains up to the line, then fill they tranny with 2 more quarts. Keep doing this until the fluid is pink (new). Once the fluid is pink, run your car for like 5 minutes and then check the dipstick to see if your level is good. If it is, drive your car for like 10 minutes and check again to make sure. You may need to add a little more or drain some more out to get it to the right level. Doing the flush is not as hard as people make it out to be. The worst part is just taking off all the 21 bolts, and then remembering where to put them back on. Make sure you have an old towel or something around, because I guarantee there will be some ATF spillage too. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 PM

thanks sublime! that was actually a very good description and got a good feeling from it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Good write-up by Lontar. The only thing I would recommend is to use a rubber mallet and knock the pan a few times to loosen it rather than a screwdriver. The tranny is aluminum and you can damage the seat where the gasket is pretty easily. A few light taps with a rubber mallet is all it take to loosen the pan.

Advice taken. will do; thanks!