5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension Work Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Suspension Work Needed

Ok, my 2000 SE has 84,000 miles. Some items are over due for being replaced, but now is the time to go through the entire suspension because it definitely does not feel good anymore. I have new Tomiko shocks and struts to put on. I want to give all of the parts to my mechanic friend to put on all at once. I was not planning on replacing the springs.. Has anyone not replaced them and wished they did? What I am looking for is a list of things that you would think would need changed having never changed anything. For example, I am assuming most of the rubber joints, etc, but wanted to hear from you guys. If someone can rattle off a list it would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What kinda tokico do you have, HP or Illuminas. If they are Hp you may not be happy with them if you put them on stock springs cause the rears are really soft. I'd recommend getting some H&R springs......
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MaxManOhio
Ok, my 2000 SE has 84,000 miles. Some items are over due for being replaced, but now is the time to go through the entire suspension because it definitely does not feel good anymore. I have new Tomiko shocks and struts to put on. I want to give all of the parts to my mechanic friend to put on all at once. I was not planning on replacing the springs.. Has anyone not replaced them and wished they did? What I am looking for is a list of things that you would think would need changed having never changed anything. For example, I am assuming most of the rubber joints, etc, but wanted to hear from you guys. If someone can rattle off a list it would be appreciated.

All I can think of is Control Arms + ball joints... Swaybar links w/ new bushings, since you will probobly ruin at least one of them while trying to remove them. And swaybar bushings.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Jack it up and inspect it then order what you'll need!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 AM

They are the HPs....

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
What kinda tokico do you have, HP or Illuminas. If they are Hp you may not be happy with them if you put them on stock springs cause the rears are really soft. I'd recommend getting some H&R springs......
Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 AM

I have looked at it. I was just hoping for some advice in case I miss something.

Originally Posted by CMax03
Jack it up and inspect it then order what you'll need!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:06 AM

Any advice on where to buy? Has anyone had good luck with autozone's parts for these?

Originally Posted by crazy97
All I can think of is Control Arms + ball joints... Swaybar links w/ new bushings, since you will probobly ruin at least one of them while trying to remove them. And swaybar bushings.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Any advice on where to buy? Has anyone had good luck with autozone's parts for these?
I bought my control arms with ball joints for my 4th gen from a dealer on E Bay called Parts Doctor. They arent in buisiness anymore but the parts were good. Courtesy Nissan may be cheaper than your local dealer.. Right/Left-
http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...ml?cPath=1956&

One time I bought End Links from the local dealer and another time from Napa. The dealer charged a lot more than online dealers of course and Napa had to order the parts from a warehouse. Courtesy has them too for about $40 each..

I bought energy suspension swaybar and end link bushings from Courtesy Nissan for a 4th gen but they dont seem to offer 5th gen bushings yet. Ebay might have them. Heres a site that offers some bushing kits...
I dont remember buying from them but you can check it out
http://www.nissanpartstore.com/catal...7259+1684+8483
Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 PM

i put hp's and tein h, i'm happy. only thing i'm not happy about is that my front right side makes noise , like a tire is loose. changed so far sway bar links( i recommend to do) nothing really changed, trying to find out, maybe shock is loose.
when changing shocks i put new shock mounts with new bellows. i think you can replace sway bar bushings and inspect your tie rods and ball joints. good luck!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM

so i can give you list of sites and stores where i got pretty cheap pricings:

shock mounts http://rockauto.com/
sway bar links i bought at http://www.leeautoparts.com/
shocks and springs http://www.ebay.com/

if needed more parts and lower prices just research
Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 PM

I just did my i35, with stock springs and illumina's. the Ride is great, the car handles really good with that setup., I replaced my upper strut mounts, but my old ones were fine. I would recommend getting the swaybar endlinks and would suggest that you inspect your lower control arms and ball joints, replace if they look like they are worn, mine were fine( 96k miles) . I had ordered replacement strut bearings, but the new one I ordered did not fit properly in the piece that connects to the strut mount so I ended up cleaning and reusing my old ones.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM

I would go for the MOOG endlinks and that's it! I use Autozone only for chemicals and consumeables. Order the bushings from Courtesy Nissan! I just don't know how all these 5th gens have that kinda LGA bushing wear in 5-8 yrs!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. My only question is why would i need to change the lower control arms? I have not looked at mine or paid attention to them but a lower control arm used to be heavy metal and only needed replaced if you hit something. Is there something I am missing? Also, what do I look for to know it needs replaced. I just want to do everything at once. I know some people will say just replace what needs it now, but if something is going to fail soon, I woul drather have it all done at once and have the car ride well for another 8-9 years.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. My only question is why would i need to change the lower control arms? I have not looked at mine or paid attention to them but a lower control arm used to be heavy metal and only needed replaced if you hit something. Is there something I am missing? Also, what do I look for to know it needs replaced. I just want to do everything at once. I know some people will say just replace what needs it now, but if something is going to fail soon, I woul drather have it all done at once and have the car ride well for another 8-9 years.

there are bushings on the control Arms trailing legs as well as a ball joint. Nissan doesn't sell the bushing separately, so if they are worn, you'd have to get the entire piece.