5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Center Beam Motor support stripped threads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Center Beam Motor support stripped threads.

I noticed this weekend, while doing other work, that the center support (motor mounts are attached to) has one stripped bolt - driver side front (this is where the beam is attached to the frame).

Only reason I checked...have been getting undue chatter with clutch engagement after fidenza clutchamster install. Also noticed at certain times from first to second almost like the linkage was binding somehow. Now it makes sense I am sure the motor is shifting around slightly.

Question is should I try to re-tap to the next larger bolt size or would I be better off letting a professional handle.
If I break the tap in the hole I would be fooked. Also, given the limited space tapping it at a crooked angle is possible too.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM

Hello miksen, I had a similar problem a while ago, in my case the problem was where the center support attached underneath the radiator, in my situation the rad support was all rusty and one of the bolt was spinning freely and the other one was barely holding, so I had to replace the rad support. It's not a 5 minutes jobs, but it can be accomplish during a week-end if you have help from one of your friend. It require soldering, I would suggest to use Oxy/Acety torch with bronze. I did mine with a mig welder but because the metal is so thin on those parts the Oxy/Acety torch would make a better jobs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

AA
Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Originally Posted by doublea
Hello miksen, I had a similar problem a while ago, in my case the problem was where the center support attached underneath the radiator
I guess I explained it in a akward way. Yes where it attaches underneath the radiator (front driver side). I thought it bolted to the frame at that point....you mean I may have to tear the entire radiator assmly apart to correct? where did you buy the rad support...junk yard?
thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 AM

I bought the rad support at a local Nissan dealer for less than 200$ cdn. Buying that part from a junkyard is your ticket for a problem replication in a year or so. Now what you need to do is jack up the front and take a look underneath the rad support where the bolts attached, check to see if the rad supported is perforated by the rust, then you may have found the culprit. In my case both bolt where almost loose so that why I was hearing a clunking noise on each bump. One thing you want to do is make sure to sand the new rad support and apply a good coat of a quality primer and then at least 3 coats of paint. You want to paint only once the rad support is welded back into place.

If you follow this instruction your rad support wont ever need to be replace unless you smash the car. If you buy a brand new rad support, check to see how thin the paint is so being in PA and having to face winter, I will take only one or two winter to make rust appear on that part again.

Good luck.

AA