5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

driveshafts gon bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM

driveshafts gon bad?

sup everyone...

im hearin some noise when i turn the max left or right. im guessin the drive shafts are almost done but not sure wether its the shafts or not. i just broke 77k on the car and the previous owner never replaced them. one thing is that the car is smooth when i drive straight, cv boots are good. any advice or suggestions?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 PM
wat

if the motor mounts are bad it will wear on the inner cv's
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 PM

At first i wanted to say cv joint but without a broken boot it seems unlikely unless you are very lowered.

Unsually a bad cv joint will mainly pop if you are turning one direction. for example if your left joint was bad it would pop mainly when turning right. could be that you are missing a bushing on one of your suspension components. maybe check out your sway bar linkage, i had one of those break and it made some random popping noises.

My suggestions is that you get under there and see if you can notice any differences between each side
Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Feldman
At first i wanted to say cv joint but without a broken boot it seems unlikely unless you are very lowered.

Unsually a bad cv joint will mainly pop if you are turning one direction. for example if your left joint was bad it would pop mainly when turning right. could be that you are missing a bushing on one of your suspension components. maybe check out your sway bar linkage, i had one of those break and it made some random popping noises.

My suggestions is that you get under there and see if you can notice any differences between each side

I knew mine was bad since both boots were cracked. Another thing I would check is the steering limiter (correct name?) Mine was broken/missing and when I turn the wheel to the right till it stops it was making the same noise; check if the plastic bushing is there.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it could be your cv axles. maybe the boots where previously replaced and the axles wheren't cleaned out properly, then after the new boot was installed, over time, the dirt and devree that got left there wore the axles out to a point where you have to replace them.

also, is your alignment good? if you're misaligned, it could cause all sorts of issues.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman

checked underneath and nothing looks wrong. cv boots are not cracked nor have been replaced. maybeill bring the car to a trusted mechanic and see what he thinks
Old 10-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
it could be your cv axles. maybe the boots where previously replaced and the axles wheren't cleaned out properly, then after the new boot was installed, over time, the dirt and devree that got left there wore the axles out to a point where you have to replace them.

also, is your alignment good? if you're misaligned, it could cause all sorts of issues.
alignment is fine and cv boots again look fine but never replaced. could it be wheel bearings? the car is smooth when i drive straight? also motor mounts are good