5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need video from 6-speed owner.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008 | 06:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need video from 6-speed owner.

If there is any way somebody with a 6-speed and a video camera could do a favor for me it would rock.

I need a video of the cables operating the shift mechanism on the trannsmission. Like video tape the linkage on the tranny going through all gears in perfect order nice 'n slow. 1-2, 2-3, ....... 6-n-r. and then also of wiggling the shifter left to right in nuetral once.

If you could also do one with the console popped off and a view from the inside as well that would be sweet, but I don't want anyone to go out of there way and I realize this isn't easy for some, and it's not that important.

TIA it would be of great help, I currently have a DSM shifter assembly and cables connected to my 6-speed tranny, all out of the car, reverse is definitly where 1st is though, but I need to see some other things and see which one of the 7 gears I am missing, I'll definitly be less confuzzled and it will help my projectly greatly if I could just see a vid.
Old 11-13-2008 | 08:32 AM

Like under the hood looking at the shifter linkage???
Old 11-13-2008 | 09:05 AM

i dont know if this would help you, but i have read countless thread from you and have learned a thing or 2, so figured i would try to help...i dont have a video but i can tell you this....

when underhood and looking at the shift mechanism on the trannsmission when the piston travels vertical(up and down) that is Neutral, down(towards ground) = shift lever left(when in the car), Up= Shift lever right(when in the car). that being said, the piston down and towards the headlight is 1st, piston down and towards the firewall is 2, And piston up and to the headlight is 5th, and piston down and to the firewall is 6th. when the piston doesnt move up nor down, when it stays centered, towards the headlight is 3rd and towards the firewall is 4th.,...hope that helps in some way,.. if not G/l
Old 11-13-2008 | 10:54 PM
Toolie

we don't have cables though, it uses shift rods.

I would do this but the timing is wrong. I just chopped 1-1/2 inches off my shifter, but it's a little too chilly out to have it all put in and then do a video

Last edited by knight_yyz; 11-13-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2008 | 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mist max2000
i dont know if this would help you, but i have read countless thread from you and have learned a thing or 2, so figured i would try to help...i dont have a video but i can tell you this....

when underhood and looking at the shift mechanism on the trannsmission when the piston travels vertical(up and down) that is Neutral, down(towards ground) = shift lever left(when in the car), Up= Shift lever right(when in the car). that being said, the piston down and towards the headlight is 1st, piston down and towards the firewall is 2, And piston up and to the headlight is 5th, and piston down and to the firewall is 6th. when the piston doesnt move up nor down, when it stays centered, towards the headlight is 3rd and towards the firewall is 4th.,...hope that helps in some way,.. if not G/l
AHHA! Yes, that helps out just as much as a video! Perfect man, thanks a ton. I knew my left & right was reversed, but I couldn't figure out if up and down were switched up also, and they are, so 1st is to the right and back. I'm not really sure how I feel about that, and it's easy to go into 6th instead of 4th and reverse instead of 6th. I had the angle of the cables pretty crappy though, I think once I make a custom bracket to hold the cables on the transmission properly (Instead of a cluster**** of vicegrips) that I might be able to get this to work flawlessly.
Old 11-14-2008 | 06:12 PM

yeah.. if you think about it.. when u go into 1st.. the rods are at the bottom of the lever,.. and basic physics/geometry, when the top of the rod(shifter inr ur hand) is pushed forward as into first, the bottom is at a larger angle thus under the hood its moved back,.. where as just the oppisite for 2,.. the shifter in car is pulled back, so the under hood conection is pushed forward (to the headlight),... kinda hard to explain but i think u get it,.. heres my analogy--- kinda like a sea-saw if it was vertical instead of horizontal, and the mid point/center of gravity of the sea-saw was your shift boot,.. and well forward and back and think about where the bottom of the rod would be at in accordance with your gear placement... hard to get at first but i think u got it,.but ask me how I know,..... my 6th gear is gone good thing its under warrenty ,... and ur welcome,..oh and so in a year or so when i get my headers and im looking to tune,.. im gunna drive up to mass and ur gunna hook me up right lol,..