5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Traction Control on 2k2 Max

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Traction Control on 2k2 Max

Going to buy a 2k2 max. Just wondering if the traction control is worth it? I live in north western PA (we get a lot of snow). Anybody had any experice with it?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:32 PM

Re: Traction Control on 2k2 Max

Originally posted by jms299
Going to buy a 2k2 max. Just wondering if the traction control is worth it? I live in north western PA (we get a lot of snow). Anybody had any experice with it?
Mine is an 'o1 but i'm sure it's not that different- but the trac. control is a pain in the a$$ when having fun but it's saved me a few times in the rain/snow. I would get it-you can always turn it off.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:04 AM

2k2 Traction Control Clarification

Okay, two related questions:

(1) Does Traction Control help at all in high-speed/highway driving, or is it useful only for launches from a stop?

(2) Would I save gas by driving in dry conditions (i.e., little chance of slippage) with the TCS OFF?

Thx for comments.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: 2k2 Traction Control Clarification

Originally posted by aadro

(1) Does Traction Control help at all in high-speed/highway driving, or is it useful only for launches from a stop?

(2) Would I save gas by driving in dry conditions (i.e., little chance of slippage) with the TCS OFF?

Thx for comments.
My personnal answers

(1) When driving in snow or wet snow, TCS is very helpfull. It helps you maintain the control of your car by diminishing slippage. I've tested it a lot this winter and in one situation it got me out of possible front crash...

(2) In dry condition I saw no difference with or without TCS. Except maybe when you push real hard on the gas pedal ...

Additional comments:
TCS will only be as good as your tires are.... I mean, you need the rigth tire for the rigth driving conditions.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:37 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: 2k2 Traction Control Clarification

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aadro

It's very little, if any, help during high speed driving (anything over 45mpg unless you *really* get on the pedal).

No, the amount saved would be miniscule... not noticable, anyway.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:56 AM

It is my understand that TCS just reacts when drive-wheel slippage occurs. It starts out by using the ABS to try to bring the spinning wheels in check. If that isn't enough, it reduces engine throttle until things are under control. I had traction control on my '95 Supra TT and only got caught in the rain one time. I was shocked at what a difference it made. In the rain, I bet I could easily beat my Maxima 5-speed in my Supra 6-speed...even with it's rear wheel drive and ultra high performance tires.

I really wish they would offer TCS on the Maxima with a manual transmission. The only FWD manuals on the market are from VW, Saab, Audi and Volvo.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by carguyrob
It is my understand that TCS just reacts when drive-wheel slippage occurs. It starts out by using the ABS to try to bring the spinning wheels in check. If that isn't enough, it reduces engine throttle until things are under control. I had traction control on my '95 Supra TT and only got caught in the rain one time. I was shocked at what a difference it made. In the rain, I bet I could easily beat my Maxima 5-speed in my Supra 6-speed...even with it's rear wheel drive and ultra high performance tires.

I really wish they would offer TCS on the Maxima with a manual transmission. The only FWD manuals on the market are from VW, Saab, Audi and Volvo.
I'm surprised that ABS is part of the TCS!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Jief

I'm surprised that ABS is part of the TCS!!!
It isn't really, I don't think, not on the Maxima. Other manufacturers DO use ABS to selectively brake the spinning wheel as part of their TCS. But the Maxima TCS does two things:
(1) Upshift
(2) Cut gas to the engine, reducing engine power, thereby reducing spin.

IMHO this is NOT as good a TCS as with systems that DO use ABS as part of TCS.