5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Identification of this griding "creaking" noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Identification of this griding "creaking" noise from front end

Hey all,

Im awe struck in trying to find out just where this creaking, grinding noise is coming from when i make RIGHT TURNS ONLY........if i make a left turn no problem, its only when i turn right, and accelerate through a turn. Im guessing because of the weight shift...

Ive tested the wheel hub/bearings assembly, and the wheel doesn't rock from side...i was going to go ahead and chage the assembly any way JUST in case (and per instruction of a mechanic) , because i know that trick doesn't always work. The sound first started about a week ago, and i thought it may have been my brakes or my SS brake lines rubbing, but thats not the case. I noticed it shortly after taking my 19's off and putting the OEM wheels back on for the winter...

MY suspension is Tokico Illumina's, H&R Springs, all new boots, and isolators, and outer tie rods are new........I tried driving around a parking lot with the wheel FULL LOCK, BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT...i get no clicking so i think i can safely assume its not my CV's on the way out

Here are a few clips to assist with this noise, most of them are me turning RIGHT TURNS ONLY FOR THE MOST PART...

This first clip is me making a right turn and accelerating, windows are UP
(yea its dark out, sorry)

Right Turns with windows up - 7.93MB <<<<<<<<take note at 5 1/2 seconds

This 2nd clip is me making a right turn with the window down, and going around a right curve shortly after making the turn...
Right turn and window down.MPG - 6.20MB

thanx for any assistance, ive got more vids

Last edited by hi-tek22; 12-09-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 AM

You are auto right? how old are your strut mount bearings and what brand? could have failed.

Last edited by maxboy325; 12-10-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 AM

I have this same noise, I believe, but it only happens on a hard left turn driving slowly and only if the elevation changes. Does that make sense? I think we have the same issue, never figured out what it is yet. It obviously has to be something in the suspension, but I'm not sure what. Waiting for an answer.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by maxboy325
You are auto right? how old are your strut mount bearings and what brand? could have failed.

yep im an auto tranny...My strut mounts/bearings have been the same ones that were on the car since i purchased it in august of 06..When i swapped my suspension, I changed everything BUT THE STRUT mounts, and bearings, i was thinking about giving that a shot.....how are the KYB strut mounts, dont those come with the bearings...If not ill just go OEM and give DAVE B A CALL

Originally Posted by viperboy
I have this same noise, I believe, but it only happens on a hard left turn driving slowly and only if the elevation changes. Does that make sense? I think we have the same issue, never figured out what it is yet. It obviously has to be something in the suspension, but I'm not sure what. Waiting for an answer.
yea it USED to only happen to me on HARD RIGHT CORNERING, maybe taking an ON RAMP or something...Now its gotten progressively louder..now it does it every time i my a right turn, before it was REALLY PRONOUNCED on a elevation like u said, noticibly on like a grarage up ramp or something, while winding around a right curve
Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 AM

sounds like a tire rubbing a splash shield.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Professor

I wish is were that simple.....its definitely some kind of metal on metal sound

sidenote:
I also dont know for sure but in that 2nd clip, the sound actually starts to get faster as i accelerate...Could this STILL be related to the strut bearing?

Last edited by hi-tek22; 12-10-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 AM

maybe a bent or failing strut or the strut mount is bad and leaning when you turn, are all 3 bolts on top of the strut tower tight ?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 AM
I love lamp.

edit: just listened to the video...have you check your inner splash shield?

S

Last edited by maximase86; 12-10-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
edit: just listened to the video...have you check your inner splash shield?

S

yep, those are all right, and the plastic tabs that keep them connected are all attatched
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM

maybe a bent or failing strut or the strut mount is bad and leaning when you turn, are all 3 bolts on top of the strut tower tight ?

i believe so, but i will double check thanks for the assistance

Last edited by hi-tek22; 12-10-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Yea I had the same issue with my 97. It was the mount so its getting replaced with another kyb mount today. That was the sound issue so I reccomend opening ya hood and double checking the mount, screws, and alignment of ya strut
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

do the KYB mounts come with the strut bearings?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Thats not a mount noise, the noise is rotational so something is rubbing.
Have you checked that your tires are not rubbing anywhere?
Are you running aftermarket wheels? If so what is the offset? Is the tire size correct?
Check the CV joint boots to see if there is any indication of excessive ware on them, lube them with a quality rubber dressing. Check the steering stop, put a dab of grease on it.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Thats not a mount noise, the noise is rotational so something is rubbing.
Have you checked that your tires are not rubbing anywhere?
Are you running aftermarket wheels? If so what is the offset? Is the tire size correct?
Check the CV joint boots to see if there is any indication of excessive ware on them, lube them with a quality rubber dressing. Check the steering stop, put a dab of grease on it.
i had 19 inch wheels on my car but took them off for the winter time. The noise wasnt there before i took the 19s off.....Nothing is rubbing, or at least not to my knowledge...I have the stock 16's back on the car, wth 215/55 tires...IVE NEVER heard that noise before....CV boots are in good condition

what do you mean "check the steering stop" and put a dab of grease on it
Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 PM

i lost my bump stop cap and it made a nasty grinding when turned all the way left, check and make sure their on
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM

Dust shield ?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM

Dust shield ?

nope
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Glory Glory Man United

I'm getting this too. I change from my HPs to the 17" G35 Coupe wheels and when I take off slowly,turn slightly left I get a rubbing noise. Good luck with your find, if I find something with mine I will let ya know.

BTW I notice no mentioning of an Axle replacement after you did your bearings. I just replaced my bearings cause of a sound like in your vids. But I also replace the axle when I did the bearings.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ae01maxine
I'm getting this too. I change from my HPs to the 17" G35 Coupe wheels and when I take off slowly,turn slightly left I get a rubbing noise. Good luck with your find, if I find something with mine I will let ya know.

BTW I notice no mentioning of an Axle replacement after you did your bearings. I just replaced my bearings cause of a sound like in your vids. But I also replace the axle when I did the bearings.

thanx for the info, i will definitely let every one know when i try something...I figure if its the axle bearing, I will look into raxle
Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Glory Glory Man United

BTW Hi-Tek22, did you do a alignment after all your new suspension parts you replaced-tie rods, bearings etc?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
what do you mean "check the steering stop" and put a dab of grease on it
There is a bolt on the lower control arm that the hub makes contact with when you turn you steering wheel all the way left or right. Thats the steering stop. If your hearing the noise only when your steering it locked fully left or right, then put a dab of grease of that bolt head so when the hub is in contact with it there is some lubrication.
It may or may not be your problem, but it's an easy thing to do.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM

i have this sound also..and it came right after my suspension change. i'm about to get my outer tie rod ends done along with alignment...hopefully this will do something in regards to it, even though this has been mentioned with no change.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM

BTW Hi-Tek22, did you do a alignment after all your new suspension parts you replaced-tie rods, bearings etc?

whats up bro.......when i swapped my suspension WAYYYYY back in like January of this year..I had the tie rod ends replaced as well, But not the strut mounts, or the strut bearings..I ordered and OEM strut mount and bearing from DAVEB to give that a shot...Im gonna try and get that done this weekend...

also when i did the suspension, yep... i had an alignment done
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
There is a bolt on the lower control arm that the hub makes contact with when you turn you steering wheel all the way left or right. Thats the steering stop. If your hearing the noise only when your steering it locked fully left or right, then put a dab of grease of that bolt head so when the hub is in contact with it there is some lubrication.
It may or may not be your problem, but it's an easy thing to do.

well i did do a test drive in a parking lot, and drove around in COMPLETE CIRCLE with the car in full lock, BOTH left and right............and i get no noise what so ever.

The only time i get noise is when making a right turn, while accelerating through it, if my foot isnt on the gas i barely hear any creaking/grinding..but its there
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Glory Glory Man United

whats up bro.......when i swapped my suspension WAYYYYY back in like January of this year..I had the tie rod ends replaced as well, But not the strut mounts, or the strut bearings..I ordered and OEM strut mount and bearing from DAVEB to give that a shot...Im gonna try and get that done this weekend...

also when i did the suspension, yep... i had an alignment done
I must of read you OP cause I thought you had done the Bearing/hubs already. lol

What about when you brake, do you hear a scratching sounds while your braking? Like if you had a rock stuck between your pads and rotors.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:49 AM

I must of read you OP cause I thought you had done the Bearing/hubs already. lol

What about when you brake, do you hear a scratching sounds while your braking? Like if you had a rock stuck between your pads and rotors.

ohhh, lol......i get no noise when i apply the brake or let off the pedal....brakes are in order...the rotors and pads were changed right around the middle of summer...Hawk Pads, RTP slotted rotors, and goodridge SS lines (the ss lines ive never had any problems with and have been on the car for the last 1 year and 6 months)

Ive ordered a strut mount and bearing, as well as entire hub assembly from Dave B
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Glory Glory Man United

ohhh, lol......i get no noise when i apply the brake or let off the pedal....brakes are in order...the rotors and pads were changed right around the middle of summer...Hawk Pads, RTP slotted rotors, and goodridge SS lines (the ss lines ive never had any problems with and have been on the car for the last 1 year and 6 months)

Ive ordered a strut mount and bearing, as well as entire hub assembly from Dave B
I was asking because my bearings were so bad that when I brake it make the wheels wiggle around sounding like a grinding noise.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get the same noise when slowing/coming to a stop - but only while going STRAIGHT. It is not brake related as it makes the sound whether I'm braking or not.

And it is speed sensitive in that the speed of the noise correlates to the speed of the vehicle. But it does not make the sound other than when coming to a stop.

Drives me batty.

I don't think it is a strut bearing - I recently replaced my struts with Tokiko and replaced all the parts.

My guess is that it will turn out to be the hub/wheel bearing. I've already had that side replaced and have an raxle - but it really is the only thing that makes sense.

However, I'm only going to fix it if the car wasn't totaled when I was rear-ended last week!

Last edited by Max_Gator; 12-11-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
I get the same noise when slowing/coming to a stop - but only while going STRAIGHT. It is not brake related as it makes the sound whether I'm braking or not.

And it is speed sensitive in that the speed of the noise correlates to the speed of the vehicle. But it does not make the sound other than when coming to a stop.

Drives me batty.

I don't think it is a strut bearing - I recently replaced my struts with Tokiko and replaced all the parts.

My guess is that it will turn out to be the hub/wheel bearing. I've already had that side replaced and have an raxle - but it really is the only thing that makes sense.

However, I'm only going to fix it if the car wasn't totaled when I was rear-ended last week!

glad 2 hear your alright after the car accident...If its the axle, ive already emailed marty and inquired about it, LOL.....that seems like a very well spent 150 bucks...., and my CV boots dont appear to be ripped...they look pretty worn, but not ripped
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM

so i got the strut mount and bearing and I'm going to get it installed TODAY
Old 12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm getting this same noise sometimes, typically when I slow down. Did the strut mount & bearing solve your problem?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:02 PM

im getting BOTH of those done TOMORROW MORNING

I didnt have time to deal with it last week because i was sent out of town for BMC Enterprise Solution training, PLUS i had finals

When i get my car back tomorrow evening, after work....THIS WILL BE THE FIRST PLACE I POST

Im replacing:
1) Strut Mount (mainly because i can hear it popping slightly sometimes when i turn)
2) Strut Bearing
3) Wheel Hub Assembly
4) Wheel bearing

Last edited by hi-tek22; 12-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM

im getting the same clicking noise on left turns. its pissing me off feels like its coming from the strut.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 AM

I'm gonna suspect your axle bearing or LCA bushings. Jack it up and have someone move the wheel while in drive to the extreme right and inspect it and I'm sure you'll find it then.....
Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'm gonna suspect your axle bearing or LCA bushings. Jack it up and have someone move the wheel while in drive to the extreme right and inspect it and I'm sure you'll find it then.....

well my mechanic said that both my LCA bushings had cracks in them...Ive already got both the LCA's to replace the old ones...my only problem is getting them installed...kinda short on cash since 4000 tuition was paid.....thanks for some info
Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM

UPDATE:
OK people, here is the verdict.....Ive had the wheel bearing and wheel hub replaced, my mechanic said the wheel bearing was rusted out. I no longer hear that creaking/grinding noise when i make turns, the car makes no noise. I had my strut mount and strut bearing replaced just because that area was making some popping noise.

So i will see in about a week to see if the noise comes back. In the mean time i will concentrate on other routine maintenance
Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 PM

UPDATE:
OK people, here is the verdict.....Ive had the wheel bearing and wheel hub replaced, my mechanic said the wheel bearing was rusted out. I no longer hear that creaking/grinding noise when i make turns, the car makes no noise. I had my strut mount and strut bearing replaced just because that area was making some popping noise.

So i will see in about a week to see if the noise comes back. In the mean time i will concentrate on other routine maintenance
how much did you pay for replacing the strut bearings?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
how much did you pay for replacing the strut bearings?
i paid DAVE B, about 30 bucks for the strut mount, and like 24, for that plastic bearing.

My mechanic charged me 30 bucks to change the bearing and strut mount
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 AM

i paid DAVE B, about 30 bucks for the strut mount, and like 24, for that plastic bearing.

My mechanic charged me 30 bucks to change the bearing and strut mount
wow, you paid 30 bucks to a mechanic. I was wondering what would cost me to have a dealership replaced the strut bearings.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
wow, you paid 30 bucks to a mechanic. I was wondering what would cost me to have a dealership replaced the strut bearings.

oh man, im not even gonna lie, lol....the dealer is going to SCREW U THE FIRST CHANCE THEY GET

But the mechanic is have is like the family mechanic, hes a friend of my dad's so i kind of get the "lookout", and he is the only one that ive let really touch my car as far as mods......SS LINES, BRAKES, Illumina's upgrade, Progress RSB, Megan racing exhaust installed

Quick Reply: Identification of this griding "creaking" noise from front end