5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Considering a custom exhaust... questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I'd reccomend just going with a 22inch magnaflow res... you don't HAVE to get SS for the whole exhaust. You'd be amazed how long some cheap alumalized steel will last in comparison.
The only sizes i saw on magnaflow's website and ebay with 3" inlet and outlet are 14" and 30".. so i guess i gotta go with 30".. i hope it'll fit

Originally Posted by CMax03
Did you contact a Cherry Bomb tech rep? To verify, I'm going by their cutaway pictures, one I found in Orielly Auto parts and an old Jeg's catalog but I'm very sure their's consist of louvers, Magnaflow Satin finished SS muffler have many sizes, so does Thrush glasspack. the thrush are very similar to the Cherry bomb except, the Thrush brand have a perforated inner core!
No, I haven't talked to anybody from cherrybomb, but I did go by pep boys and take a look inside a glasspack resonator, and it looked like louvers

I have a thrush brand in mine right now, its definately perforated... the only issue is life with those. Every single time i spray nitrous through it (lots of heat, eats up the glasspack), it gets louder... haha.
well, i dont plan on spraying any nitrous.. lol.. how's the life span on those with N/A engines?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM

I"m going to put on a magnaflow muffler and have a shop make some piping with mandrel bends from the cat to the muffler to eliminate the resonator completely. I want my car to growl damnit! I have only an aftermarket muffler now and while it sounds nice it's too quiet! Cars are much more fun to drive when there loud....and plus upgrading to 2.5 in piping should net me a couple hp....

I painted my muffler black to match my black/black/black theme too..
Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by wyche89
The only sizes i saw on magnaflow's website and ebay with 3" inlet and outlet are 14" and 30".. so i guess i gotta go with 30".. i hope it'll fit

No, I haven't talked to anybody from cherrybomb, but I did go by pep boys and take a look inside a glasspack resonator, and it looked like louvers

well, i dont plan on spraying any nitrous.. lol.. how's the life span on those with N/A engines?

They'll last a year easy before they start to REALLY get loud. With a decent magnaflow in the rear i doubt you'll even care.

I'm actually going in before the end of the month for my exhaust. Going to modify the cattman Ypipe to delete the 2.5" section so I don't start off with a restriction, then just run a 5x14 magnaflow res + a 18" magnaflow muffler in the rear. Should be pretty noisy, but not horrible.

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
I"m going to put on a magnaflow muffler and have a shop make some piping with mandrel bends from the cat to the muffler to eliminate the resonator completely. I want my car to growl damnit! I have only an aftermarket muffler now and while it sounds nice it's too quiet! Cars are much more fun to drive when there loud....and plus upgrading to 2.5 in piping should net me a couple hp....

You will want to shoot yourself in the head after a few days if you do that. I made the mistake of just running a Magnaflow with no resonator on my old Accord. Insanely loud inside the car. I got reved on by ever single ricer I got near. Had it done on a Friday, I was back at the shop on Monday getting a resonator.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
You will want to shoot yourself in the head after a few days if you do that. I made the mistake of just running a Magnaflow with no resonator on my old Accord. Insanely loud inside the car. I got reved on by ever single ricer I got near. Had it done on a Friday, I was back at the shop on Monday getting a resonator.
Is it really that loud? I want my exhaust loud enough so I can hear it cruising but I want it to sound mean when I'm at WOT. I don't want something you can hear 3 miles away but I do want people to know my car is in the vicinity....
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Is it really that loud? I want my exhaust loud enough so I can hear it cruising but I want it to sound mean when I'm at WOT. I don't want something you can hear 3 miles away but I do want people to know my car is in the vicinity....

IF you have stock headers/ypipe, then your setup won't be terribly loud. IF you have cattman headers/ypipe, expect people from other planets to hear you.

Mine with cattman headers/ypipe, thrush 30" cherry bomb + dynomax turbo muffler is pretty loud... lol
Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I had a header on my Accord, and then a 2.5" exhaust with just the main cat and the Magnaflow. There was no way to talk to passengers without significantly raising my voice, even the front passenger it was so loud. Adding a resonator really helped. You could still hear the exhaust...enough that eventually I got a turbo style muffler in place of the Magnaflow because of the constant drone at freeway speeds. You may not mind that, but on a long road trip it was very tiring. Still, compared to not having a resonator at all, it was a big difference. The car still had a deep tone at idle and a nice roar when you got on it.

Honesty, with the Maxima, doing the GAB mod was enough to get a nice growl when you hit the gas without having to deal with a loud car when just driving around.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I had a header on my Accord, and then a 2.5" exhaust with just the main cat and the Magnaflow. There was no way to talk to passengers without significantly raising my voice, even the front passenger it was so loud. Adding a resonator really helped. You could still hear the exhaust...enough that eventually I got a turbo style muffler in place of the Magnaflow because of the constant drone at freeway speeds. You may not mind that, but on a long road trip it was very tiring. Still, compared to not having a resonator at all, it was a big difference. The car still had a deep tone at idle and a nice roar when you got on it.

Honesty, with the Maxima, doing the GAB mod was enough to get a nice growl when you hit the gas without having to deal with a loud car when just driving around.
Yeah I agree that a resonator should still be in place... They do alot less of making the exhaust quiet than getting rid of drone and rasp.

On the other hand, turbos make great resonators...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 PM

IF you have stock headers/ypipe, then your setup won't be terribly loud. IF you have cattman headers/ypipe, expect people from other planets to hear you.

Mine with cattman headers/ypipe, thrush 30" cherry bomb + dynomax turbo muffler is pretty loud... lol
i plan on throwing a 30" magnaflow resonator under there... so you were able to fit a 30" resonator under your car with no problem then? great news

yours is still loud though? that's interesting... maybe an all magnaflow setup will be quieter, you think? -keeping my fingers crossed-

Last edited by wyche89; 01-07-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 PM

hmmm... let us know the out come. interested in doing this in the spring haha.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM

Dont do it,you will regret it because its gonna be to loud,get you pulled over more,more tickets,and make the car harder to sell in future. PUT TWO RESONATORS!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 PM

i plan on throwing a 30" magnaflow resonator under there... so you were able to fit a 30" resonator under your car with no problem then? great news

yours is still loud though? that's interesting... maybe an all magnaflow setup will be quieter, you think? -keeping my fingers crossed-

Yeah it will be quieter, i have no doubt. You will still get the normal "drone" in the 2000-2500 range, though. That is hard to get rid of even if it's pretty quiet.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

On the other hand, turbos make great resonators...
Cool. BRB, installing snails.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Go with the longest perforated core resonator and the longest (Min 19") rear muffler! I wish some of these exhaust manufactures would list the distance between their dual outlet muffler ports/tips so I can play around with a few things on my 3rd Gen as well as those who want to build their own catbacks systems. The more info/spec's the better we can make a choice. Just so you'll know that rear muffler on the 00-03 is a trick muffler and is superbly quiet. I switch back and forth between it and the Cattman rear muffler assembly doing test. I think this piece is the drone eliminator more than the resonator. If the bend wasn't so dam close to the muffler end cap I would spread it to fit a 2.5" pipe and build the loop section over the rear axle that connects to the Cattman B-pipe. I think Wyche89 should either get the satin Stainless steel resonator I thought I saw a 25"er or the Walker Thrush perforated glass pack and remember you still can fit one more of the Thrush's on the lateral section of the B-pipe forward of the fuel tank if it's still too loud. GL
Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 AM
大陆弟弟

I have the HKS axle back and a Cattman b-pipe, sounds great all around but drones like a **** which makes long highway trips annoying. From what measured, I can't really replace the resonator with something bigger...or can I? Anyone know what is the absolute biggest I can fit down there? (I assume the drone will stay but hopefully to tolerable level)
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
I have the HKS axle back and a Cattman b-pipe, sounds great all around but drones like a **** which makes long highway trips annoying. From what measured, I can't really replace the resonator with something bigger...or can I? Anyone know what is the absolute biggest I can fit down there? (I assume the drone will stay but hopefully to tolerable level)
You can always add a resonator just forward of the fuel tank between the 2-90 degree bends, but Cattman's resonator is I beleive (body) 22". l think 28"-30" is the longest that will fit....I will verify for yall once I'm home.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 PM

pretty much any exhaust that you can HEAR is going to drone in the 2000-2500 range... seems to be a natural frequency for our car's cabins to drone.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
大陆弟弟

I do have a 1st gen G35 sedan muffler in my garage which was going to be my last resort to quiet things down but work and weather is preventing my trip to muffler shop
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM

You can always add a resonator just forward of the fuel tank between the 2-90 degree bends, but Cattman's resonator is I beleive (body) 22". l think 28"-30" is the longest that will fit....I will verify for yall once I'm home.
that would be great, cause it's cold as hell over here in philly, and i don't wanna freeze out there under my car! lol.. but one guy said that he had a 30" resonator on there, so im pretty sure it will fit after the cat
Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 PM

that would be great, cause it's cold as hell over here in philly, and i don't wanna freeze out there under my car! lol.. but one guy said that he had a 30" resonator on there, so im pretty sure it will fit after the cat
Yeah you can fit a 30" resonator after the cat as long as it's not too big around because you'll have to go over the crossmember. My welder buddy got all OCD on mine and modified my crossmember with some steel plate and made it about 1" lower so I could fit a 6" wide res in there.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM

I think Wyche89 should either get the satin Stainless steel resonator I thought I saw a 25"er or the Walker Thrush perforated glass pack and remember you still can fit one more of the Thrush's on the lateral section of the B-pipe forward of the fuel tank if it's still too loud. GL
well the only one i can find in a magnaflow round body 30" with 3" inlet/outlet is stainless.. i would RATHER have satin because it's cheaper, but i havent seen a satin one in that size... you don't think an 18" muffler would be long enough to keep the exhaust fairly quiet with the headers?

EDIT: found a satin one on manaflow.com that is $176... HA!! i can get a polished stainless one from planetmagnaflow.com for $115

Last edited by wyche89; 01-08-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah you can fit a 30" resonator after the cat as long as it's not too big around because you'll have to go over the crossmember. My welder buddy got all OCD on mine and modified my crossmember with some steel plate and made it about 1" lower so I could fit a 6" wide res in there.
hmm.. the only one magnaflow offers in 30" length and 3" inlet/outlet is 6" around... that sucks.. hopefully the exhaust guy is able to deal with it
Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

I do have a 1st gen G35 sedan muffler in my garage which was going to be my last resort to quiet things down but work and weather is preventing my trip to muffler shop
damn you car is hot. just wanted to say that again.

just goto a muff shop and ask what they could put in there to reduce the noise/drone. i'm sure they have resonators they could use. interestingly enough my greddy sp2 has little drone on the highway. i thought it would have been much worse.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM

I just measured the Cattman resonator and I was correct it's 22" while at the same time, I was also wrong the longest is 22" that will fit, unless you remove the fwd brace just aft of the cat/b-pipe flange. So trying to stuff the longest muffler maybe your only alternative. Remember the Cattman and Oem mufflers are both 19"ers......
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Ok, my parts came today. I got the 5x8 18" muffler, and the 30" resonator with a 6" diameter... all with 3" inlets and outlets. I'm taking them to the exhaust shop probably on monday to have the piping built, and everything put it, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post up for fitment, sound, and performance evaluations. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM

i have a custom bent exhaust on my '02. im running a Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" piping, no resonators, and a Vibrant muffler. My exhaust has a very nice tone to it, but its not obnoxiously loud.

where as you like a quiet car, if you run a single resonator you should be fine from the other cars ive heard. but i guess its trial and error, and basing it off of the opinion of other from here. from what you have listed above, sounds like it should be good. will be waiting for sound clips.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 AM

hey guys... for $150, this guy is building me a mandrel bent 3" exhaust... however, it's aluminized steel... not stainless... i realize stainless steel is better, but is aluminized really THAT bad?

Last edited by wyche89; 01-17-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:30 AM

hey guys... for $150, this guy is building me a mandrel bent 3" exhaust... however, it's aluminized steel... not stainless... i realize stainless steel is better, but is aluminized really THAT bad?
I had an aluminized DynoMax Exhaust on my SHO, it lasted about 2 years on PA roads.

* Just like there are different qualities of Stainless, there are different qualities of alumized coatings. If the exhaust has a good rep and its only $150, go for it.

Last edited by RLW001; 01-18-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 AM

dude honestly find a shop that can make fully custom stainless exhaust, dont go with the aluminized steel unless you plan on selling the car in the next 2 years...make sure its mandrel bent...listen to mine (link is below on my signature) if you want some more help with talking to them and how to decide, let me know

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 01-17-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Its not that bad. My friend and I ran an aluminized exhaust for 2 years and the only thing that had any rust was the welds. Had we painted the welds they wouldn't have had any rust. The only thing that failed was a weld on the SS magnaflow res. lol
Old 01-17-2009, 06:04 PM

oh ok.. that doesnt sound too bad... are the whole pipes gonna rust like with our stock exhausts?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Its not that bad. My friend and I ran an aluminized exhaust for 2 years and the only thing that had any rust was the welds. Had we painted the welds they wouldn't have had any rust. The only thing that failed was a weld on the SS magnaflow res. lol
If I were you (on the cheap) buy some of those Duplicolor 1200 degree engine paint that contains some ceramic properties and spray all your pipes. B4 I ceramic coated my D21 truck headers I sprayed some of that 1200 degree Duplicolor on my headers and it never peeled and was on there for about 3 months until they were coated. The original pacesetter High-temp paints lasted less than 15 minutes. Aluminized is alright where I reside cause they don't put salt on the roads during winter. You could ask for him to use T-409 Stainless it's not as pricey or shiney as T-304. It contains more ferrous material so it is magnetic. But it's durable as hell...my D21 custom exhaust is T-409 and it's been about 5-6 yrs since it was constucted and I've some slight surface rust, very thin and light!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

oh ok.. that doesnt sound too bad... are the whole pipes gonna rust like with our stock exhausts?
They don't rust down here in Texas.

My Accord exhaust was aluminized steel. No problems with it at all. Still looked great after 5 years.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 AM

i had the exhaust shop leave everything before the resonator, cut the resonator of and replace it with a peice of pipe and then i had a 40 series flowmaster put on with a rectangular stainless tip off of ebay. now it is loud, but toneier then a ricer thats for sure its got a great growl to it as a daily driver and it did free up some extra horses too with that and the custom intake.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Well, it's snowin outside, but that aint gonna stop me!! I got an appointment for 3:00 to get the exhaust system built. I'm gonna see if I can borrow my cousin's camera to take some vids so you guys can see how it sounds. Keep your fingers crossed for me yall!!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 AM
大陆弟弟

Don't forget exhausts need break-in as well, the one change after couple hundred miles
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM

okay i have a warpspeed y pipe and a magnaflow cat.If i were to remove the resonator would that increase sound output?Or would the 5th gen muffler keep it sounding the same?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Don't forget exhausts need break-in as well, the one change after couple hundred miles
oh yeah, i do remember hearing about something about that.. do exhausts typically get louder, quieter, or change tone after a couple hundred miles?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM

oh yeah, i do remember hearing about something about that.. do exhausts typically get louder, quieter, or change tone after a couple hundred miles?

they get deeper and louder when they break in
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM

in for the results

Quick Reply: Considering a custom exhaust... questions...