5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch Master Cylinder Problems...Less than 50k on 03 Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clutch Master Cylinder Problems...Less than 50k on 03 Max

So last night I'm on the parkway driving home, and after I shift into 5th gear, I notice the clutch decided not to release and stayed almost all the way down.

Then, I notice a red light ahead, so I depress the clutch about an inch or two (since it was already stuck), and shift out of 5th into Neutral. So I'm coming up to this light a little too fast so I decide to down shift into 2nd to assist with the braking.

When I tried to shift into 2nd, I couldn't even get the shifter to go into 2nd. Tried 3rd, 4th, 5th, and also 6th...Nothing. Right as I'm about to stop at the light, it turns green. So now I have a few cars behind me, light is green, and I can't shift into any gear, not even 1st. Cars go around me and my friend and I get out of the car and push it over to the shoulder.

Turned the car off, waited about 5 minutes, and then turned it back on and it was as if nothing happened...Until a mile later I'm shifting again and notice the clutch stuck all the way down AGAIN. So, coming up to ANOTHER red light (bad luck, I know). This time I pull into the left turn lane and put my hazards on.

Turned the car off and waited again. While waiting, I thought about manually positioning my foot underneath the clutch pedal and pulling it back up. So I do. Car starts up fine and no issues for the rest of the night.

Then this afternoon I'm driving again, and when shifting, I notice the clutch all the way down AGAIN (Coincidentally, exactly where I was when the problem occurred last night!) This time, I reacted pretty quick and manually pulled the clutch pedal up with my foot. Drove to the nearest parking lot to do an inspection to see if I could find any leaks. None found (could be a pin hole size).

I did an extensive amount of research on this problem, and mainly noticed that a lot of people were having the clutch sticking issue (air in the line).

My questions are:
1. If there is air in the line, doesn't there have to be a leak? (Checked master/slave cylinders and lines, didn't really see anything)

2. Has anyone else endured this problem with such low mileage?

3. I read it's tough to replace the master cylinder in the 5th gens. Anyone here accomplished it before, and can offer up any tips?

4. Can I drive it the way it is, and just be annoyed with having to pull the clutch pedal back myself occasionally?

I just bought this 2003 Maxima Titanium Edition about a month ago with 45,500 miles on it. Car currently has 46,500 miles.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM

I had a problem with a 92 Max with low mileage. The slave cylinder had a leak and the fluid ran out. When I put fluid in it and bled the air out, it would work fine for a day or two and then I had to do it again. I ended up taking it to a dealer to have it replaced under warranty. Has your brake fluid ever been changed in the clutch system?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM

i had a problem with a spongy clutch, ended up being a leak in the lower clutch hose that connects to the slave. My clutch fluid resovoir was like completely empty. dont drive on it, u can really mess up ur tranny bad.(basically shifting with no clutch) if there's no sign of a leak, bleed the system and it should be fine.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM

It's most likely your lower clutch hose, as DoubleOmax mentioned. Have someone depress the clutch with their hands and keep an eye right by the tranny housing, I can almost guarantee it's the hose.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 PM

First off, I want to say Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

So you guys don't think its the master cylinder?

Originally Posted by DoubleOmax
i had a problem with a spongy clutch, ended up being a leak in the lower clutch hose that connects to the slave. My clutch fluid resovoir was like completely empty. dont drive on it, u can really mess up ur tranny bad.(basically shifting with no clutch) if there's no sign of a leak, bleed the system and it should be fine.
BTW, I checked the fluid level in the reservoir, the one closest to the firewall, kind of up in the corner on the driver side, with the BLACK cap on it, and it is maybe 1 Millimeter below the "maximum" line. Haven't seen it drop down at all.

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
It's most likely your lower clutch hose, as DoubleOmax mentioned. Have someone depress the clutch with their hands and keep an eye right by the tranny housing, I can almost guarantee it's the hose.
Obviously this is done when the car is lifted, right? Also, I'm a little slow, but what should I be looking for when they depress the clutch? (A leak somewhere in the line?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 AM

I had a similar problem back in september. I was slowing down to turn on to the on-ramp of a highway, and lost all pressure in the clutch (i know, a little diff issue than yours). Pulled over, couldn't find anything leaking. So I was calling around and talked to a friend's mechanic, and he told me to pump the clutch about 5-7 times in a short period. That regained all of the pressure, and I couldn't ever get it to reproduce the problem. I took it to my mechanic that week and he said he could not find anything wrong with it. Good luck w/ getting the problem fixed.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 AM

my 02 with 54k did this about 2 months or so ago. car wouldnt go into gear, or was very difficult to go in. a few people chimed in to check the clutch fluid, and sure enough it was empty filled it up, bled it, problem solved. i check it once a week and dont have any leaks and didnt have to replace anything. i keep a bottle of the fluid in the car just in case though
Old 12-16-2008, 11:14 AM

There seems to be a small leak in your system. When having someone depress the clutch by using their hands, so they can push and pull back, you should be in the engine bay looking to the right of the exhaust manifolds (stock exhaust headers). You will see a rubber line running to the top of your tranny. Car can be on the ground. It is difficult to see but you will notice an area of fluid on the hose or whatever it's squirting.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 PM

If you need a new Clutch Master Cylinder, I have a NIB one from Nissan that I dont need. Just pay shipping and its yours, I dont mind helping a brother out. PM me.

If there is air in the line, try what the above member said and pump it about 50 times while the car is off. Start it up and see if you can get it to reproduce the problem. If it does, its most likely your lower clutch hose, or your slave cylinder developing a leak. (Maxima Clutch Slaves SUCK) You can take the slave off and pull back the rubber boot, if its full of brake fluid, this is no bueno I am guessing its the hose though, since there is little fluid loss.

If it is the hose, grab a stainless hose from the Group buy section and replace your upper+lower hose at the same time. Well worth it
-Ryan

Last edited by CaTalyst.X; 12-16-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 AM

I had some of the symptoms that you describe... I have a 97 Max SE with 184000 miles presently. The problems started happening at 170K.
1) Hard to shift : They replaced my Slave Cylinder as it had a leak
2) Clutch pedal dropping to floor: They replaced the Master Cylinder and bled the system.

Hope that helps in narrowing down your problem.