5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How To Install the USA Spec iPod/iPhone Interface in a Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by robmack
Thanks for the confirmation. I was afraid this might be the only option. I wanted to keep it OEM, but having an IPod connection is a biggy for me and I dont know if I want to do the cassette thing. I might just get an aftermarket H/U I guess...

Any recomendations on one thats not super expensive and that I'll be able to plug my IPOD into and use steering wheel controls with?

I'm not up to date with the aftermarket units but I have an aftermarket unit in my Impala. It's a pioneer D2100 I think you can get one for ~$130 for your ipod...

If you want to have the steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket unit you have to buy a separate module and that will cost extra.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm thinking about getting the Clarion DXZ385USB

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020D385...=detailed_info

Anyone have any opinions on the H/U? I am mainly looking for it to play my Ipod.

Also, I've seen some H/U's with amps, but with the Bose system, there already is one correct?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello guy!
I did find a way to get input for any mp3 payers on the boss 6 cd changer! If somebody are interested i will explain how to .

Last edited by gerry569; 03-24-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM

sweet thanks for the info.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gerry569
Hello guy!
I did find a way to get input for any mp3 payers on the boss 6 cd changer! If somebody are interested i will explain how to .
hey gerry, i PM'd you, but i also wanted to post here that i am VERY interested in learning how to go about installing one of these modules or something very similar in my 2002 maxima with a bose 6 cd changer in the front.

thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by sufisufi
hey gerry, i PM'd you, but i also wanted to post here that i am VERY interested in learning how to go about installing one of these modules or something very similar in my 2002 maxima with a bose 6 cd changer in the front.

thanks!
You cannot use the usaspec ipod adapter in an 02-03 maxima w/ the in-dash 6cd changer. It will not work.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by AEMAXIMA01
You cannot use the usaspec ipod adapter in an 02-03 maxima w/ the in-dash 6cd changer. It will not work.

Will it work on a standard Clarion one CD HU and will the steering wheel controls work??
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by fflint_18
Will it work on a standard Clarion one CD HU and will the steering wheel controls work??
As long as it has a cd-changer port on the backside. I cannot vouch for that, but you might want to do some more research. The steering wheel controls are not affected at all by installing the usaspec adapter (at least they weren't on my car).
Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok i will give some information about how to do it later. I still need to take few picture. But this is only a way to do audio input.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 PM

great write up man. I was seriously considering buying the usaspec interface for my 5th gen but then saw the price tag. Instead, I ordered a Kenwood KDC-BT742U head unit from crutchfield which comes with the ipod interface on the front. I used this write up to strip out the car and put it in. Greatly appretiated!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 PM

maybe I'm a little slow but what kind of cable could I get to go from the back of a 00-01 head unit to go into my headphone jack on my zune?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 PM

My question still hasnt been anwsered either. The US SPEC from crutchfield, does that replace plugging into the stock radio? I would just use the iphone 3g an adapt the usspec to replace the radio hook up? and it should hook up to the speakers as well as the steering wheel controls?

Also im looking to do something custom in place of the radio, I'm wondering where can I buy a 12x12 1/4 thick piece of carbon fiber or any size thickness for that matter?

There is a good website with neat gadgets for an iphone that holds it with any case as well as a stylist. I'm going to end up attaching the holder, onto the A/C control unit and center it so the iphone is flat with the climate control and air vents with the carbon fiber behind. Any of these questions anwsered are great.TIA
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by macnolias
maybe I'm a little slow but what kind of cable could I get to go from the back of a 00-01 head unit to go into my headphone jack on my zune?
Well you could technically buy the usaspec and use it on your zune. There is an auxillary RCA input on the unit, and you can buy an 1/8th in to RCA cable and use that to play your zune. I haven't ever used the auxillary input, so I don't know exactly how it works, but it should work in theory.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Look at Step #18 in my directions. See those two inputs, one red and one white? Those are the "AUX Audio Inputs." Buy a cable from RadioShack that looks like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2117891 and plug it into those inputs.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
My question still hasnt been anwsered either. The US SPEC from crutchfield, does that replace plugging into the stock radio? I would just use the iphone 3g an adapt the usspec to replace the radio hook up? and it should hook up to the speakers as well as the steering wheel controls?
What exactly do you mean by 'replace plugging into the stock radio?' If you have the in-dash 6cd changer, there is no way this will work. On my 01, this unit piggy-backs into one of the stock harnesses, and also plugs into the external cd-changer port. I cannot vouch for sure whether or not the single-cd in an 02-03 will work. If it has a CD/CHG button, not a 6CD button, it should have the external cd-changer port on the back, and should in theory, work.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Macnolias - If you do go this route, please do not waste your money on that cable. You can buy a general RCA-1/8" cable from Radio Shack and get just as good as sound as the monster. The mark-up on cables is ridiculous.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Macnolias - If you do go this route, please do not waste your money on that cable. You can buy a general RCA-1/8" cable from Radio Shack and get just as good as sound as the monster. The mark-up on cables is ridiculous.
Agreed. I was being lazy and didn't search for the cheap cable. This was just what first came up.

Get this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3531174
Old 04-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Well yea I know of Y adapters but on the back of the head unit I see here on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280335592767
I don't see rca inputs for a Y adapter to work.....
Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Well yea I know of Y adapters but on the back of the head unit I see here on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280335592767
I don't see rca inputs for a Y adapter to work.....
That's because the USA Spec adapter plugs into the stock head unit. The USA spec has the RCA inputs on the unit itself, not the Nissan head unit. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...ce.html?tp=120 or http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM

this is going to sound a bit crazy but I was thinking of trying to find the wire that goes from the head unit into the stock CD changer that would usually go in the trunk.

from the cord I'd figure some way to get an adapter to go from that into the zune.

is my thinking a bit insane or possible you think? I'm trying to avoid that 100 bucks for that ipod adapter
Old 04-20-2009, 02:51 PM

I'm looking for the device that takes place of the stock radio and are able to use the iPhone through the stock speakers. Is that what ya'll are saying? Or does this us spec connect through the stock radio? FTR I have the 03 stock radio no Bose single cd player
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
I'm looking for the device that takes place of the stock radio and are able to use the iPhone through the stock speakers. Is that what ya'll are saying? Or does this us spec connect through the stock radio? FTR I have the 03 stock radio no Bose single cd player
Do you want to be able to send/receive calls through your speakers, or just play music? The usa spec connects through the stock radio, it does not replace it. I'm not sure if the usa spec will work with an 02-03, even though you have the non-bose unit. The key factor is whether or not you have the cd-changer port on the back of the unit. If you don't you'd probably be better off getting a whole new head unit.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 AM

I'm assuming that I could relocate the stock radio and do something custom with the iPhone in it's place. Assuming I have the "cd port" how long are the wires from the us spec? What I'm getting at is just using the radio as a piggy back but obviously run the us spec through it and do a custom install where the iPhone takes that HU place? Does this make sense?

I wish there was an adaptor or converter that just plugs into the phone and worked with the calls and speakers..
Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great thread. Anyone tried with the new Iphone 3G-S?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissan altima ipod connector

In my side, I use nissan altima ipod connector I found at http://www.nissanaltimaipodmp3.com/ for my car. It is really simple to use and easy to install and has all installation instructions if someone wants to install it themselves.
This connector works for the Nissan models with a circular 8-PIN DIN socket connector on the back of their car stereo systems
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 AM

nice write up i have been using the cassette adapter so far i have to look into that
Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Hey what happened to the pictures on the first page?

I just got the same kit and am about to install it on my AE max, but would be more difficult without the pics!

Please bring them back!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kirinji

I just got the same kit and am about to install it on my AE max, but would be more difficult without the pics!

Please bring them back!
It's not too difficult to do. All you have to do is remove the radio and plug it in. You can search for instructions to remove the radio, and it's the exact same process. All depends on where you want to rout the iPod cable.

It depends on where you want to run the cable to the iPod. I removed mine bc i ran the cable under it and drilled a hole in the back of the cupholder. I don't have a picture during install, but here's a pic of where it comes out:

As quoted from earlier in the thread, I think this is the best place to rout the cable. You can keep your iPod completely hidden AND keep it within hand's reach.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Please bring them back!
Weird. I will try to get them back up. Looks like they got deleted.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Here's a link for now: http://www.me.com/gallery/#100640

I don't have time to re-post each one yet. Maybe later.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by evalyn
Here's a link for now: http://www.me.com/gallery/#100640

I don't have time to re-post each one yet. Maybe later.
I believe you have to have a me.com account to access your gallery.... You'll just have to re-link them to your original post. I can't see your new pictures.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 PM

It's not too difficult to do. All you have to do is remove the radio and plug it in. You can search for instructions to remove the radio, and it's the exact same process. All depends on where you want to rout the iPod cable.

As quoted from earlier in the thread, I think this is the best place to rout the cable. You can keep your iPod completely hidden AND keep it within hand's reach.
Yeah I understand it's not that difficult to do, but someone like me who's not all that tech-savvy and doing it for the first time, pics give me peace of mind, ya knowics:
Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Yeah I understand it's not that difficult to do, but someone like me who's not all that tech-savvy and doing it for the first time, pics give me peace of mind, ya knowics:
In all honesty the hardest part is removing the vent trim to get to the two top screws holding the radio/climate control in place. Once you get past that, it's cake.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pics of the install

Excellent post, is there a way that you can load the pictures of the install again?

Thanks

Originally Posted by evalyn
I spend enough time on this site looking for help that I thought I outta post a How To on the one thing I know how to do decently well:

How To Install the USA Spec iPod/iPhone Interface in a Maxima

A note: There are many ways to attach an iPod or iPhone to your car. I saw the USA Spec kit as the best option for several reasons: it lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the stereo and steering wheel (as well as still using the iPod click wheel), it charges your iPod/iPhone, and the sound quality is unparalleled.

This How To is written for someone who has very little experience working on their car. I wrote it this way on purpose. If you live in Austin or San Antonio, I would be happy to help you with this install for free.

These are the tools I used:
2 phillips screwdrivers, 2 flat head screwdrivers, 12mm socket wrench, drill, USA Spec iPod to Nissan Interface, Model PA11-NIS (139.99 from Crutchfield)

Steps: Most have pictures; some don't

1. Open USA Spec adapter kit and make sure all contents are present: interface brain, iPod/iPhone cord, radio/interface cord.

2. Set parking break. Disconnect negative (-) battery terminal. Remember, doing this will reset all trip mileage and radio stations.

3. Remove center A/C vent. If you're strong enough, it can be done without tools, like in the picture. Otherwise, use a flat head screwdriver wrapped in a towel.

4. Unscrew 2 phillips screws from top of radio. Place these on a mat together so you'll remember where they came from.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM

to bad it wont work for 5.5
Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
t2v
Newbie - Just Registered

Works well.!!

Great guide. I did a similar thing on my Infiniti i30.

A couple of things.

1. If you cant see images, all the image links were destroyed thanks to Apple'e mobile me handling. Here is a link to the exact same page hosted on my website with the image links fixed.

Here.!

Mods: let me know if this isnt appropriate. @evalyn: hope you dont mind.

2. PA11-NIS isnt really available now, try and find it used on eBay. You can get the PA15-NIS which is the new model, but the old Bose doesnt allow track info to be displayed, so the new model is of no extra use to us.

3. I put my iPod adapter in the top case above the analog clock on the dash. No drilling required so it was slightly easier.

4. Infiniti owners need not remove the center console or the cigarette lighter part .! Remove the shift stick trim and the center ac vent. Thats all. There are 2 screws at the top and 2 screws at the bottom. The bose HU, cigarette lighter area and the ac controls all come off as one big piece (remove around 6 connections at the back).
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What do you guys suggest for installing this or a similar iphone interface in a 2002 with the 6cd changer? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheCreed
What do you guys suggest for installing this or a similar iphone interface in a 2002 with the 6cd changer? Thanks.
I just finished installing an iSimple IS77 today. I don't have the CD changer but it might also work with your system. I bought the Tranzit from ebay. Here is the link to the iSimple website. You can look up what works for your car and also find out the antenna adapters to use. They just updated the information since I bought mine so you get two adapters instead of the one I got.

http://www.isimplesolutions.com/ipod...er/TranzIt.asp
Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 AM

I am the Original Poster for this thread. I am selling my Maxima; does anyone want to buy my USA Spec PA-11-NIS?

Everything is included that you will need to play your iPod/iPhone through your Bose radio. This works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 3G, and all iPods, including the iPod touch.

Everything is excellent working condition; just taking it out because I'm selling the car to an old man. Please PM me for details.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 PM

PM sent to ya evalyn!

Quick Reply: How To Install the USA Spec iPod/iPhone Interface in a Maxima