5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drone (exhaust leak)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM
It's business time.

Drone (exhaust leak)

We had some serious snow here a week ago and a ton of salt accumulated on my car. It is no surprise that my, already weak, exhaust is having issues now.

I noticed today, symptoms of an exhaust leak. There is a loud drone during acceleration, or any throttle for that matter. It sounds as though it's coming from just on the cabin side of the firewall. My guess is that it's coming from the flex section since the last time I took a look at the exhaust, that was the weakest area and I'm guessing the suspect.

Is this a fair assumption? I'm going to try to take a look at it tomorrow after work. Is there a way I can figure out where the leak is coming from.

If I'm right, and it is the flex section, I need a whole new Y-pipe, right? There is no sleeving that. So, should I go aftermarket for Y-pipe or stock?

Anyone with similar experience?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds about right, usually when the flex part goes bad, it is excellerated due to a rusted out exhust clamp so you might need that replaced also. You can have a flex part cut off and another one welded in place without replacing the whole y-pipe if money is tight. You can buy a used y pipe or if money is not the problem, this might be the perfect chance for a free (or easier) flowing aftermarket exhust. Good luck.

BTW...what year max? I have an OEM y pipe from an 03 max with 54k miles. LMK if you're interested.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Progress
We had some serious snow here a week ago and a ton of salt accumulated on my car. It is no surprise that my, already weak, exhaust is having issues now.

So, should I go aftermarket for Y-pipe or stock?

Anyone with similar experience?
Since they use lots of salt in your area I would go stainless. Cattman, Megan are good options.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM

you could probably get a new flex section welded in, if the rest of the pipe isnt too bad for about $30

Warpspeed makes a stainless Y for $250 shipped. i have one and i love it.

I also have my stock Y pipe sitting in my shed. I dont know what year your car is but it is from an 00' cali spec. you can have it if you pay for shipping. There is one bolt that i snapped off in the front bracket, that would need to be drilled out but other than that it is in good shape
Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by nsnrider
sounds about right, usually when the flex part goes bad, it is excellerated due to a rusted out exhust clamp so you might need that replaced also. You can have a flex part cut off and another one welded in place without replacing the whole y-pipe if money is tight. You can buy a used y pipe or if money is not the problem, this might be the perfect chance for a free (or easier) flowing aftermarket exhust. Good luck.

BTW...what year max? I have an OEM y pipe from an 03 max with 54k miles. LMK if you're interested.
Thanks. It's a 2000. I'm not sure if the 5th gen and 5.5 gen's are the same. I'll consider looking for used parts.

Originally Posted by RLW001
Since they use lots of salt in your area I would go stainless. Cattman, Megan are good options.
Honestly, at this point, I don't care if it lasts long once installed. I've got nearly 130k on the car and it's been driven mainly in Western NY and the Midwest. Actually, the first 45k were driven in Canada. So if the stock exhaust lasted that long, I'm sure the replacement will last long enough time for me. I really don't see owning that car for more than 1-2 more years.

Originally Posted by Feldman
you could probably get a new flex section welded in, if the rest of the pipe isnt too bad for about $30

Warpspeed makes a stainless Y for $250 shipped. i have one and i love it.

I also have my stock Y pipe sitting in my shed. I dont know what year your car is but it is from an 00' cali spec. you can have it if you pay for shipping. There is one bolt that i snapped off in the front bracket, that would need to be drilled out but other than that it is in good shape
You know where I can get a flex section for $30? The place where I'll have the work done does not care about parts, just as long as they fit. So, I can gather all the necessary parts and just have them do the labor.

Thanks for the offer, but my car is Fed Spec. Not sure what the difference is.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 AM

Thanks. It's a 2000. I'm not sure if the 5th gen and 5.5 gen's are the same. I'll consider looking for used parts.

You are a 5th gen.....5th gens are from 2000 - 2001 and 5.5 gens are models from 2002 - 2003.

Honestly, at this point, I don't care if it lasts long once installed. I've got nearly 130k on the car and it's been driven mainly in Western NY and the Midwest. Actually, the first 45k were driven in Canada. So if the stock exhaust lasted that long, I'm sure the replacement will last long enough time for me. I really don't see owning that car for more than 1-2 more years.
I'd go for the SS exhaust anyhoo....

You know where I can get a flex section for $30? The place where I'll have the work done does not care about parts, just as long as they fit. So, I can gather all the necessary parts and just have them do the labor.

Thanks for the offer, but my car is Fed Spec. Not sure what the difference is.

The fed spec cars have ONE o2 sensor PER cat....1 in the front precat, 1 in the rear precat, and 1 in the MAIN cat

CALI spec cars, have "two" o2 sensors in each precat, and none in the main CAT
Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
You are a 5th gen.....5th gens are from 2000 - 2001 and 5.5 gens are models from 2002 - 2003.
I've had my car for over 5 years. Why would you possibly think that I wouldn't know that? He is offering his stock Y-pipe from a 5.5 gen and I was simply indicating that I didn't know whether it would fit a 5th gen.

Originally Posted by hi-tek22

The fed spec cars have ONE o2 sensor PER cat....1 in the front precat, 1 in the rear precat, and 1 in the MAIN cat

CALI spec cars, have "two" o2 sensors in each precat, and none in the main CAT
In aftermarket Y-pipes are there any relocation problems with the 02 sensors with the precats since they're eliminated?

Anway, I took a look under the car and noticed that my resonator must have taken a hit because there is a pretty big dent in the front of it. I'm now thinking the problem lies in the resonator/B-pipe. So now I'm thinking Y and B pipes to fix the thing altogether.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Progress,

I had the same issue with my Max, I thought it was the front flex section of the y pipe, it turned out to be the joint where the b-piper bolts up to the muffler. Take a look here, it's right in front of the rear axle. I believe a few people have had this issue.

See my post from a few years back...
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...uest-pics.html

Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM

For those with Cattman Catbacks I found using the laminated Stainless Steel gasket @ the hump just B4 the rear muffler is the ticket and you'll never mess with it again since those that came with the setup were inferior. I use the gasket found at the cat. It's reuseable all day long, it's freaking stainless steel......
Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 AM

I have both of the issues discussed here. Both at the flex pipe, and back on the b-pipe flange. I still have yet to fix it due to all the shops in the area wanting $300 to replace the flex and repair the flange. I may take a trip back down to FL to have a buddy do the work lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2i-277VPls
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Pri63
Progress,

I had the same issue with my Max, I thought it was the front flex section of the y pipe, it turned out to be the joint where the b-piper bolts up to the muffler. Take a look here, it's right in front of the rear axle. I believe a few people have had this issue.

See my post from a few years back...
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...uest-pics.html

Hope this helps.
Hey, Pri. Actually, I have had that issue. The flange on, either the muffler, or the b-pipe to the muffler, broke and had to be welded back on. That is not the problem here.

I'm pretty sure this is coming from the resonator. It looks pretty banged up in the front and I'm pretty sure that is where the sound is coming from.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:54 PM
It's business time.

Would a shop be able to bolt on an aftermarket B-pipe to an otherwise rusty, worn out exhaust. I'm guessing the bolts will have to be cut.