5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Second test drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 07:02 PM

Second test drive

The first time I drove it at night with a salesman at another dealer. This time I went to the dealer that I order the car. The vehicle should be in next week and since my friend who sold me the car was busy, he gave me the keys to a sunlid sand 2002 6 speed. I took the car and spend close to an hour on it :-)

Interior:

Car has tan interior. Everyone that I have driven (2 manual, 1 auto, and 1 3.5SE Altima) had light color interior. I prefer the dark. I like the leather, while the cloth weren't bad. The headrest it a bit forward for my liking. I liked the 99SE headrest better. Other than that not much else to say about the interior. Lighting on the steering wheel would be great, and the cup holders in the rear will make them happier.

The BOSE doesn't sound better than the previous. The bass is numb.

The TRIP info I am not too sure about. The L/100km reading didn't change at all (yeah I am Canadian).

Exterior:

I prefer the dark tail lights. Car looks a lot better with the spoiler. HID is very nice. I like the 6 spoke wheels. Color wise I like the Majestic Blue, then White, Grey Lustre, Black, Sterling Mist, Merlot.
Car looks nice, but dual exhausts would have been cool.

Performance:

I took it by myself with the dealer, went thru traffic, highway, up and down different streets. Acceleration in each gear were strong. The first time I thought the clutch was high but this time I found it ok. The shifter is shorter, and feels different because of the cable-link. It is light, but the 5 speed is more definitive. The 6 speed is sort of toy-like. Many people don't like it, but I should be able to learn to live with it.

Car do many a nice noise when you punch it. I didn't feel torque steer or wheel spin. Passing is a lot of fun. On a few occasions I gave the folks in front of me a few seconds head start and then catch right up to them. Brakes are strong.

That's all I have to say. I like this car. I would like to add lid up steering controls, 2 more inches of head room, dual exhausts. Not too much for ask for :-)