5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TransGo Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by beefy23b/97
I read about a guy who installed his shift kit and it just exposed how bad his tranny was. said he got real bad flare on the 2-3 shift (almost to redline), when he went to a shop they told him his clutch packs were fried. Installing the kit just made them slip worse cause it was trying to shift harder and couldn't. If you got 168k on the stock AT I'd save up some $$$ and do a full rebuild with beefier packs and the HD kit. IMO
I'm not having any issues at all except the same soft 2-3 shift when cold and it hasn't gotten worse in the 54,000 miles I've put on the car. The ATF is still nice and red and smells normal so it isn't like the transmission is on its last legs. But with the miles on it, you never know.

Doubt I'd drop $3000 on a performance rebuild on a car worth maybe $6000. More likely I'll just find a low mileage used transmission, install it, make sure it works properly, then do the shift kit.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
SCI

Shift kit for nitrous

Sup everyone,haven't posted here for a while...anyways I've been wanting to do this for a while now and I've been doing as much research as possible before asking questions but I still have some questions so here they are:

1) I have the "soft" shifts many have expierienced here and it seems like ppl are happy w/the results,ppl from nycnissans.org to tried to explain the "harsh" 1-2 shift and how harsh it was(with the stage 2 kit) and they say it's comparable to a stick car bangin' into gear under wot.However some are saying it is "firm" here and the rest is very smooth.To me "firm" sounds better than "harsh" so can someone explain a little more in detail how the 1-2 shifts feel???(are they harsh or just extra crisp and firm?)

2) I recently got a nitrous kit for the max and I noticed the trans-go kit indicates it's for nitrous as well,I was going to go w/the stage 1 shift kit for improved shifts w/out the harshness but now that I have the nitrous should I just get the stage 2 kit?

3)I will also be getting a tuning cpu and w/many of them they say you can raise the shift points,will the shift kit help the car shift better when the shift points are changed?

I have read the reviews here and they help me understand alot more what this does and for $100+ I'll be definetly getting this but I just want to know what I'm getting myself into as much as possible before hand,thank u in advance for anyone who has any feedback for my questions
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 AM
RR5

Been reading the thread about the valve body shift kits and really want to know the long run test results. I dropped almost $3,000 on my automatic transmission and I still am upset with its performance.

If you read over the FSM concerning the automatic transmission, almost any problem reads as if it's only an electrical thing or line pressure thing. As in just pop in new solenoids and off you go, of course if you catch the problem EARLY.

When I went back to the transmission shop, the owner simply said what I'm complaining about is "normal". grrrrr
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SCI

1) I have the "soft" shifts many have expierienced here and it seems like ppl are happy w/the results,ppl from nycnissans.org to tried to explain the "harsh" 1-2 shift and how harsh it was(with the stage 2 kit) and they say it's comparable to a stick car bangin' into gear under wot.However some are saying it is "firm" here and the rest is very smooth.To me "firm" sounds better than "harsh" so can someone explain a little more in detail how the 1-2 shifts feel???(are they harsh or just extra crisp and firm?)
I also want to know how the 1-2 shift is. I want to go all out and get the HD kit, but I don't want passengers to think my car is broken either.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Sorry for double posting, but is there something wrong with installing a shift kit in an automatic transmission? Literally all the transmission shops I called hung up on me when I asked if they install shift kits. What's a good place to get a TransGo shift kit installed?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 PM
RR5

Probably have to find someone local who has the know-how and tools to install it. I'd try going in person to a transmission place and "ask for a friend" haha.

Last edited by RR5; 02-22-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: blanking typos
Old 02-23-2010, 02:17 PM

^ I found a shop that will install it, but the owner didn't sound too bright over the phone. And he really emphasized that there's "NO WARRANTY!!!" if anything goes wrong.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
Sorry for double posting, but is there something wrong with installing a shift kit in an automatic transmission? Literally all the transmission shops I called hung up on me when I asked if they install shift kits. What's a good place to get a TransGo shift kit installed?
Most shops only know how to replace clutch packs and don't bother going through the valve body like they are supposed to. You need to find a shop that specializes in performance transmissions, they would be the ones familiar with valve body modifications.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM

^ Can you recommend any?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:49 PM

I did the install of the Trans-Go shift kit a few months ago in my 03 with 100K on it. It definitely helped the 2-3 shift, although it is still not as firm as I would like. The 1-2 and 3-4 shifts are pretty good. Probably should have went with the heavier duty kit. I also put in Royal Purple synthetic ATF.

I initially received the wrong kit (RE4F0A). I ordered it from some shop in AZ, (can't recall who it was) although Trans-go is right here in SoCal, I couldn't buy direct When I called them about it, they said that it was all they had listed for an 03

Anyway, to make a long story short, I called Trans-Go directly and took the wrong one to them, and they hooked me up with the correct one. I think the guys name was Mark. Nice guy.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

^ Can you recommend any?
I don't know anyone in your area, I don't even know anyone in mine.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Mine has always had the 1-2 harsh shift. Seems like a characteristic of these trannys?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I don't know anyone in your area, I don't even know anyone in mine.
I found an Aamco that will install the shift kit. The guy seems pretty knowledgeable too. Now if only I could remember where I saw the HD kit for $60...
Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 AM

TransGo

I installed the HD2 TransGo kit in January of this year. The only issue I had prior was a huge slip between 2nd and 3rd until moderate to full throttle. I have just over 100k on the car now and have always done a full tranny flush for the life of the car. After the mod 1-2 is neck snapping but the 2-3 still has a slight flare (couple of hundred RPM). Much much better than it was. Also the kick downs are much quicker. Because of the continued 2-3 flare called Transgo and they said this tranny has issues with the solenoids after about 60k miles. So I replace the solenoids and no change. I just put in some LucasOil tranny fix which is supposed to "revive" the rings and stuff but so far still have the slight slip from 2 to 3 whether hot or cold.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by TBMax02
I installed the HD2 TransGo kit in January of this year. The only issue I had prior was a huge slip between 2nd and 3rd until moderate to full throttle. I have just over 100k on the car now and have always done a full tranny flush for the life of the car. After the mod 1-2 is neck snapping but the 2-3 still has a slight flare (couple of hundred RPM). Much much better than it was. Also the kick downs are much quicker. Because of the continued 2-3 flare called Transgo and they said this tranny has issues with the solenoids after about 60k miles. So I replace the solenoids and no change. I just put in some LucasOil tranny fix which is supposed to "revive" the rings and stuff but so far still have the slight slip from 2 to 3 whether hot or cold.
I would take that to mean that you're getting close to needing a re-build - there is either a clutch pack or a sprag that's wearing out.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 AM

SInce the thread is revived, I just bought a 2000 I30 with 82k, Runs great, all shifts are decent but I was wondering if I could benefit from this kit and was hoping others who currently have this kit could speak to the reliability after doing this mod. I would primarily be interested in this for prolonged life prior to having any issues. I'd lo\ike to see the car pass 200+k
Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
I would take that to mean that you're getting close to needing a re-build - there is either a clutch pack or a sprag that's wearing out.
Agreed. If you have a huge slip (as opposed to the minor slip that occurs only when the transmission is cold), then you have an issue beyond what a shift kit can correct.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:02 PM

^ What about a minor slip that occurs when the transmission is warm or cold? Is that also beyond what a shift kit can correct? It's not even really a "slip". The revs just hang for a split second on the 2-3 shift, warm or cold. Sorry for all the questions about this shift kit, but I'm seriously debating installing the kit or waiting it out and seeing if it gets worse. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 PM
RR5

Hate to say it but if you experience slips or other problems with your transmission you are better off doing either a pricey rebuilt or swapping for a low mile transmission.

Trying to push things will only cause other internals to wear out which only further increases the repair bill.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 PM

There's another shift kit out there beside Trans Go...I spoke to a Trans shop foreman and he told me about another kit that's firm but not as neck snapping stiff as the TransGo kit which they use with really good results...I'll find out the name guys and report back to yall.............
Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 AM

The shift kit from TransGo is definitely a 100% improvement. The little flare between 2-3 is certainly liveable and a vast improvement over what it was prior. That being said, I have 105k+ original miles on the car and I will monitor the flare and if it begins to worsen at all I will definitely look for a low mileage swap. Any chance there is something that can be done to improve the line pressure without going overboard as in the WOT mod that has been referenced?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

^ What about a minor slip that occurs when the transmission is warm or cold? Is that also beyond what a shift kit can correct? It's not even really a "slip". The revs just hang for a split second on the 2-3 shift, warm or cold. Sorry for all the questions about this shift kit, but I'm seriously debating installing the kit or waiting it out and seeing if it gets worse. Thanks.
If the slip occurs warm or cold, that usually points to the shift solenoids or clutch packs. The cold soft/slipping shift in our cars is usually a valve body issue, assuming the transmission fluid is red and doesn't have a burnt odor. If the ATF does have a burnt odor you've got problems.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Scottwax, Do you remember the steps you took when doing a the transgo kit or has it been a while? The reason I ask is because either I lost or my kit did not come with the Orange Accum Shift Valve spring (where the pressure solenoid goes too). I was wondering if I should be fine with using the stock spring. My accum shift valve type is Type 3 (no inner spring and no end plug/retainer)

Last edited by streetzlegend; 03-27-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Scottwax, Do you remember the steps you took when doing a the transgo kit or has it been a while? The reason I ask is because either I lost or my kit did not come with the Orange Accum Shift Valve spring (where the pressure solenoid goes too). I was wondering if I should be fine with using the stock spring. My accum shift valve type is Type 3 (no inner spring and no end plug/retainer)
Call them and explain to them that you lost your spring. Order a new one. There is no way in hell I'd drop the valve body unless I have 100% of the parts.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Here is my question... with the HD kit, does it shift hard with regular driving??? I'm not necessarily trying to lose any ride comfort to be honest... I can understand if I'm at the track and the shift was so hard it broke the grill or headlights or whatever lol I'm not too picky there, but when I'm driving to work do I still notice the harder shift???.... another question... with the regular kit when I'm at the track and redlining is it the same harsh sift as the HD one?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM

I think I might've mentioned a few pages back that I have a Trans-go kit in my '93 Nissan 4x4. During normal driving, you won't really notice much of a difference, the shifts will be snappier, but not what you're thinking, it won't be breaking your grill or headlights. LOL

Now concerning longevity......This kit has held up to everything I have given it. My truck has 6" of lift and am running on 33's. I run the living **** outta that truck. Here lately it's been the DD, plus I use it like a truck was designed for. The kit was put in 4 years ago and NEVER had an issue. It was well worth the extra money.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 AM

i gotcha... got somebody around my area with one on a 5.5 maxima, im tryna get a ride in it or drive it to see what its like... i believe there is a transgo distributor here in MD so ill swing by em probebly tomorrow and pick one up... it most likely is gonna be the regular on though
Old 03-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this is the regular kit, right? the HD kit does not have those same directions.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by vastmax
this is the regular kit, right? the HD kit does not have those same directions.
its the HD2 kit
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i see the difference, this is for the RE4F04A...I have the F04B which doesn't have those directions.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Another question I had:

Are all the valves on the VB supposed to freely move side to side with only the spring providing pressure?

The reason I ask is because once I took mine apart, alot of the valves were really hard to move, basically stuck. As I got them free I noticed there was black dust (debris, or metal shavings mixed with atf) on the channels causing the valves not to move.

I am worried about using this VB now, the tranny completely failed so I was going to modify this VB and put it on the new lower mile auto I am putting in. I am wondering if I should just ditch this VB and not bother cleaning it up. dont wanna risk them valves getting stuck on the new auto.

Suggestions?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 PM

I've pretty much made up my mind to get the HD kit. The only problem is finding a shop to install it. I've heard way too many horror stories of shops loosing check *****, springs, etc. and destroying the tranny. So to anyone that's had the kit installed, where did you go? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Another question I had:

Are all the valves on the VB supposed to freely move side to side with only the spring providing pressure?

The reason I ask is because once I took mine apart, alot of the valves were really hard to move, basically stuck. As I got them free I noticed there was black dust (debris, or metal shavings mixed with atf) on the channels causing the valves not to move.

I am worried about using this VB now, the tranny completely failed so I was going to modify this VB and put it on the new lower mile auto I am putting in. I am wondering if I should just ditch this VB and not bother cleaning it up. dont wanna risk them valves getting stuck on the new auto.

Suggestions?
I wouldn't use a valve body out of a burnt up transmission, there is going to be a ton of crap in it and it will be very difficult to get all the little oil passages in the valve body cleaned out completely.

FYI, I haven't put a shift kit in my Maxima but have in other cars I've had. The shift kits for GM TH350 transmissions are considerably less complex than the Maxima one, so if I get one, I'll have someone familiar with modern computer controlled transmissions install it.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM

I had this problem with my 99' f-150. put the shift kit in and it was fixed.
now my 00' max has the same problem. i dont care what anyone says, I'm going to do it to my max too when I can. I'm confident it will work. if not, oh well. but i think its worth a shot. Worked well for my truck
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 PM

Since this has been a pretty hot topic and post, I figured I'd post these links for all interested.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...t_Code=T83165C

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-RE4F04B-HD2/

My car is still doing well, so i'm waiting to see some more feedback but I can easily see me doing one of these in the near future to prolong the life of the trans and improve driveability
Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 AM

seems like a nice mod for not too much money, $60~$100 for parts and $200~$250 for a paid install. I installed a tranny cooler and definately noticed some great results, but still get that 2-3 annoyance when cold.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
I installed a tranny cooler and definately noticed some great results, but still get that 2-3 annoyance when cold.
Tranny cooler probably makes it worse by keeping the ATF cooler!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 AM

How many people put this kit in themselves on there back?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Tranny cooler probably makes it worse by keeping the ATF cooler!
Definately, mine doesn't have a temp control on it either. Its not too bad though, just something you get used to in the colder months.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've pretty much made up my mind to get the HD kit. The only problem is finding a shop to install it. I've heard way too many horror stories of shops loosing check *****, springs, etc. and destroying the tranny. So to anyone that's had the kit installed, where did you go? Thanks.
Man, I'm in the ATL area too. The tranny is the weakest link of our cars IMO. The long shifts kill the performance. As I've been told by a friend that works at the dealer, the Gen 5 tranny was designed to shift "softer". I guess that's supposed to make it appear to be more refined or something. I loved the way my Gen 4 shifted. It took some time to get use to this soft crap.

Anywho, I'm about due for my 100k, but was considering getting a kit installed later in the year. If you find someone, let me know. Have you checked Forged Performance in Marietta? They specialize in all the VQ cars. I had a guy/shop called Transman in Paulding Co rebuild the tranny in my wife's Exploder. That guys knows his stuff! His price was reasonable too. $1900 w/3yr warranty vs the dealer's $3600 w/1-yr warranty. You may want to check w/him as well. That truck never shifted as good as it did after getting it back from him. I didn't keep the crap for the 3 years, but the 14 months or so I did have it were flawless (as far as the tranny)

Quick Reply: TransGo Shift Kit