5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 06:42 AM

Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

A friend of mine will be wiring them to a switch I bought at Radio Shack. Only probelm is.....I don't know how to pop out the old windshield washer nozzles?

Does anyone have a write up on how to install these thing?
Old 11-15-2001, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

Use a pair of needle nose pliers. First reach up there and you'll feel the two tabs. Unplug the hoses and then squeeze the tabs together with the needle nose pliers and they'll pop right off.

And then you'll have to wire them up depending on what you want them to do: stay on all the time, blink while on all the time, off all the time buy only blink when you signal, lots of possibilites.

I have mine to a switch so I can turn them on and off. When I turn them on, they are off and they only signal whichever side I signal. It's cheaper than the side mirror turn signals, and does the job in rainy/foggy/really dark weather.

And I have mine in white so I don't get in trouble with the po-po, unlike *cough*Toylet*cough* ... twice!

Oh... and: http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

Originally posted by acMAX
A friend of mine will be wiring them to a switch I bought at Radio Shack. Only probelm is.....I don't know how to pop out the old windshield washer nozzles?

Does anyone have a write up on how to install these thing?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:04 AM

Re: Re: Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by clee130
[B]Use a pair of needle nose pliers. First reach up there and you'll feel the two tabs. Unplug the hoses and then squeeze the tabs together with the needle nose pliers and they'll pop right off.

And then you'll have to wire them up depending on what you want them to do: stay on all the time, blink while on all the time, off all the time buy only blink when you signal, lots of possibilites.

I have mine to a switch so I can turn them on and off. When I turn them on, they are off and they only signal whichever side I signal. It's cheaper than the side mirror turn signals, and does the job in rainy/foggy/really dark weather.

And I have mine in white so I don't get in trouble with the po-po, unlike *cough*Toylet*cough* ... twice!

Hey how did youget inside the dash?
You know the scrolling switch that dims or brightens the interior ligths? well thee is a dummy right next to it and I'm planning on putting a switch there but I'm wondering what the best way to get the wiring into the dash is? got any useful info on that?

thanks
Old 11-15-2001, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

Originally posted by clee130

that's pretty cool.....how did you wire them so that they blink on the side that you are signaling?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

I have a 4th gen.

But I have a switch in the blank spot on my dash for another neon I have. I had to take apart my gauge cluster to do that.

I wired my my nozzle lights to a switch I have on my armrest. Since I have a 4th gen, I can't really give you any good advice on how to wire them up inside. Sorry.

Hey how did youget inside the dash?
You know the scrolling switch that dims or brightens the interior ligths? well thee is a dummy right next to it and I'm planning on putting a switch there but I'm wondering what the best way to get the wiring into the dash is? got any useful info on that?

thanks
Old 11-15-2001, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

Whew ... let me see if I can remember... lol ... and again, I have a 4th gen, I tried doing the same thing to Toylet's car, but couldn't figure it out that day.

I had also did the front marker blinker rewire, similar to the one for the 5th gen.

So I ran the the postive wires from each nozzle to the respective side, making sure they were tapped into the light that blinked, not the one that was on all the time.

Then I connected the two negative wires together and wired them up to the switch and then just ran that to a ground.

that's pretty cool.....how did you wire them so that they blink on the side that you are signaling?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

Originally posted by clee130
Whew ... let me see if I can remember... lol ... and again, I have a 4th gen, I tried doing the same thing to Toylet's car, but couldn't figure it out that day.

I had also did the front marker blinker rewire, similar to the one for the 5th gen.

So I ran the the postive wires from each nozzle to the respective side, making sure they were tapped into the light that blinked, not the one that was on all the time.

Then I connected the two negative wires together and wired them up to the switch and then just ran that to a ground.

hmm....sounds complicated.....how long did it take you?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can somebody post instructions on how to install windshield washer LED's?

It's not complicated per say. Wiring up stuff just gets some getting used to. Once you know what wires go where and do what, it's easy.

But running the wires and crimping the wires together and soldering the wires and heat shrink wrapping the wires, that's the b!tch.

But it took a while, because I wanted to hide the wires to make them less visible. But it did take me a good half-a-day. But that time was split inbetween two days. The first day I ran the wires (including cutting and soldering back together) and the second day I attached them to the switch and made sure everything worked right.

hmm....sounds complicated.....how long did it take you?