5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman Exhaust FITTMENT ISSUES ANYONE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Cattman/Megan Exhaust FITTMENT ISSUES ANYONE?

Hey all

I just purchased a megan racing exhaust, but it rattles too much for my taste, Im supposed to let my mechanic readjust it on tuesday after it settles a bit, and he said it should take away the noise and the rattle i hear when i go over rocky roads... I can see where the muffler rubs against the axle or rear beam or something.....Its rubbing or resting right near where the mid piping connects to the muffler

My question is, Does the cattman exhaust have any fittment issues because my megan racing rattles and i dont like it

If you guys have had NO fittment issues with the cattman im ordering one tomorrow...just let me know if any of you have had any problems.....

thanks

Last edited by hi-tek22; 01-30-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM

i dont have cattman so i cant say anything bout fitment but i have never heard of anyone having problems with fitment. I do have megan racing catback though and all it needs is a extra hanger to stop the rattle
Old 01-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Is the midpipe rubbing next to the trailing arm mount or hitting the crossmember after the cat. If its just the crossmember you can just use some washer to space it down.
Hmm do you have a RSB? the midpipe may be hitting that. I had to move the front mounts on my RSB back alittle.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
Hey all

I just purchased a megan racing exhaust, but it rattles too much for my taste, Im supposed to let my mechanic readjust it on tuesday after it settles a bit, and he said it should take away the noise and the rattle i hear when i go over rocky roads... I can see where the muffler rubs against the axle or rear beam or something.....Its rubbing or resting right near where the mid piping connects to the muffler

My question is, Does the cattman exhaust have any fittment issues because my megan racing rattles and i dont like it

If you guys have had NO fittment issues with the cattman im ordering one tomorrow...just let me know if any of you have had any problems.....

thanks
As far as I know there is never fittment issues with cattman exhaust I have not installed mine as of yet but I checked before I bought it
Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Is the midpipe rubbing next to the trailing arm mount or hitting the crossmember after the cat. If its just the crossmember you can just use some washer to space it down.
Hmm do you have a RSB? the midpipe may be hitting that. I had to move the front mounts on my RSB back alittle.

I "BELIEVE" its hitting at the crossmember past the cat also...this is right past the resonator right?......Its like i can feel it rattle from inside the car on certain bumps......

Now as far as the trailing arm...I KNOW for a FACT its rubbing there, i got under the car and its literally resting on that part for the most part....I still havent gotten around to doing my RSB yet...I planned on putting it on this spring
Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by scarface4522
i dont have cattman so i cant say anything bout fitment but i have never heard of anyone having problems with fitment. I do have megan racing catback though and all it needs is a extra hanger to stop the rattle
where is yours rattling at?....Mine rattles sometimes at open throttle...but not at WOT
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM

I installed my megan yesterday and have alittle rattle. the front cross member i put a washer under the bolts to drop it down the 1/16th of and inch and that doesn't rattle but in the back right above the flange for the midpipe to the muffler it doesn't go thru centered so it rattles there too when i go around a bumpy corner. I adjusted a few of the hangers and actually bent the whole system and it made it a little better.

Your mechanic should be able to make it better but it may require some big bars, lol.

Not sure how the cattman sounds but i think the megan is to quiet

-Travis
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM

mine was hitting the crossmember over bumps, any muffler shop can fix it in a couple mins, all u gotta do is push up on the exhaust a little , weld a extra hanger to it and u will be all set.Just make sure when its on the lift play with it and push it around and make sure it aint hitting nowhere else. Once he fixed the crossmember rattle it started banging on the other bend on the b pipe but it was fixed with just another hanger,and it was only 20 bucks for both hangers.

where is yours rattling at?....Mine rattles sometimes at open throttle...but not at WOT
Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Flat_Out
I installed my megan yesterday and have alittle rattle. the front cross member i put a washer under the bolts to drop it down the 1/16th of and inch and that doesn't rattle but in the back right above the flange for the midpipe to the muffler it doesn't go thru centered so it rattles there too when i go around a bumpy corner. I adjusted a few of the hangers and actually bent the whole system and it made it a little better.

Your mechanic should be able to make it better but it may require some big bars, lol.

Not sure how the cattman sounds but i think the megan is to quiet

-Travis
LOL.....QUIET!, this thing isnt quiet at all.....lol it drones more than im used to....but the growl is kool though, just not associated with the annoying rattle i get

Now as far as big bars....what do you mean big bars?.....also what kind of washers should i be getting to drop the crossmember....ill just get my mechanic to install the washers on the cross member when he readjusts it
Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM

when i put my cattman on, it fit perfect. when i put my headers on it was hitting everywhere. took it to an exhaust shop and they cut like an inch off. been fine ever since..
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM

mine was hitting the crossmember over bumps, any muffler shop can fix it in a couple mins, all u gotta do is push up on the exhaust a little , weld a extra hanger to it and u will be all set.Just make sure when its on the lift play with it and push it around and make sure it aint hitting nowhere else. Once he fixed the crossmember rattle it started banging on the other bend on the b pipe but it was fixed with just another hanger,and it was only 20 bucks for both hangers.

That sounds like a very easy fix......so how can exhaust hangers be put on, if there is no where to secure it to the body of the car??

I guess at this point it wouldnt be worth it to sell the Megan and go buy a Cattman to have it installed....
Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 PM

ya it is a very easy fix, there is plenty of space to put extra hangers, i dont think its worth to go through all the trouble of selling,buying ,installing etc but its obviously ur choice

That sounds like a very easy fix......so how can exhaust hangers be put on, if there is no where to secure it to the body of the car??

I guess at this point it wouldnt be worth it to sell the Megan and go buy a Cattman to have it installed....
Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 PM

ya it is a very easy fix, there is plenty of space to put extra hangers, i dont think its worth to go through all the trouble of selling,buying ,installing etc but its obviously ur choice

lol, yea your right i cant argue...your the 3rd person to say it...Its just me in my so called "haste for perfection"..But hey, with no mistakes one doesn't learn from the process
Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM

I have a Cattman cat-back, no fitment issue but rather adjustment. Instead of using the rubber hangers I used SS clamp, the exhaust is much tighter but the cross member beam had to go, I could have used a bunch of washer but not my type so took it off.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
I have a Cattman cat-back, no fitment issue but rather adjustment. Instead of using the rubber hangers I used SS clamp, the exhaust is much tighter but the cross member beam had to go, I could have used a bunch of washer but not my type so took it off.

ahhh kool

2 questions though?

1) Is there a downside to taking the crossmember off with a ss exhaust (granted i can understand having the cross member to keep the exhaust from dropping to the ground and ripping the undercarriage up)

2) where do i find SS clamps
Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 AM

I've never had a single issue with the cross member gone, stainless stell doesn't rust so you dont have much chance seing the the cat-back falling in the street.

I believe at that time I use the standard one we use to repair water hoses, you can buy them anywhere.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
I've never had a single issue with the cross member gone, stainless stell doesn't rust so you dont have much chance seing the the cat-back falling in the street.

I believe at that time I use the standard one we use to repair water hoses, you can buy them anywhere.

can u remember which sizes you used and where you placed them exactly? were there any other locations you placed them as opposed to rigging them up where the stock rubber hangers went at
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Toolie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240SX...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM

I have a Cattman Exhaust System and I only had to adjust the heat shield at the rear B4 the rear muffler, in front of the fuel tank. Other than that and Installing Nismo hangers ( Napa Hangers Good too!!!) And raisng up the rear brace after the resonator fitment was perfect! Wow How yall pumped up Megan's Catback system and all yall experinced this same issue! WoW!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 PM

can u remember which sizes you used and where you placed them exactly? were there any other locations you placed them as opposed to rigging them up where the stock rubber hangers went at
My car is all wrapped up since we painted the engine bay, but I'll check that tonight and post later.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I have a Cattman Exhaust System and I only had to adjust the heat shield at the rear B4 the rear muffler, in front of the fuel tank. Other than that and Installing Nismo hangers ( Napa Hangers Good too!!!) And raisng up the rear brace after the resonator fitment was perfect! Wow How yall pumped up Megan's Catback system and all yall experinced this same issue! WoW!

are the Nismo's made out of Poly?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 PM

is 2 enough? when i have 4 people in my car the muffler hits the car pretty hard..lol

Old 01-27-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
is 2 enough? when i have 4 people in my car the muffler hits the car pretty hard..lol

i would think you would need 3 for the muffler, and then one that attatches to the b pipe...Im not sure if its the same one
Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 AM

me and my bro welded on another hanger at the rear of the muffler and the rattling stopped.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Banned

i used the nismo hangers and i dont have any issues
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by SpooledVQ35
i used the nismo hangers and i dont have any issues

where can those be found at?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 AM

are the Nismo's made out of Poly?
No. Just thick *** rubber mounts! Napa's are just as beefy for the cheap!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 AM
It's business time.

If you don't have a Napa near you and you don't want to spend the ridiculous Nismo price, Walker makes good hangers, too.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:41 PM

what size washers do i need to use...Im gonna try that first...and then Im gonna take the crossmember off all together
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35

you need three, there is a place for a 4th on the b-pipe but it isn't the right style, I use these on my car and no problems with banging anymore

Last edited by knight_yyz; 01-29-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is the second time I've seen this posted and by two different people, any pictures of this? I cannot for the life of me figure out how the RSB even comes close to any exhaust piping.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
you need three, there is a place for a 4th but it isn't the right style, I use these on my car and no problems with banging anymore

are there a noticeable difference between the JDM poly ones on ebay, as opposed to the OEM (style) rubber ones purchased at NAPA, or advanced auto..I believe the OEM style are made by walker

Im probably already gonna have to get a new hanger welded on for more stability...

I take my car back in to the shop tomorrow, so my mechanic can "readjust" it, to get the rattling to go away

I couldnt find the OEM style rubber hanger between the resonator and the muffler piece (or axleback) But I'll let him re use the old one
Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Toolie

my oem's were soft and mushy, these ebay poly's are hard as a rock (almost) I had banging issues with the oem, i can;t compare to something like Napa or any other brand as I have not tried them. I heard the nismos were good but they want a ridiculous amount of money for them.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 PM

My two cents seeing that I've some experience with various exhaust set ups....

1) Remove the cross member, it doesn't hurt
2) I've successfully used hose clamps from Home Depot around all my weaksauce OEM exhaust hangers and that has raised my cat-back high enough that it doesn't rattle. I've done this for my Frankencar, Cattman, and Megan rear sections, with the Frankencar really the only one with slight rattling because it has the biggest muffler. HOWEVER, I have Cattman Gen II headers, which were designed to be close to the chassis, so that has pulled up the cat and b-pipe slightly already.

EDIT:

Old pic of said hose clamps here:

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 01-29-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Toolie

hose clamps rust...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
hose clamps rust...
They are also like a buck each and a DIY install...

Actually I've had mine since 2005 and none have rusted nor are they showing any signs of rust...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM

what size washers do i need to use...Im gonna try that first...and then Im gonna take the crossmember off all together
Im not sure off hand. I would just unbolt one bolt run the hardware store and find some washers that will fit over it.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
My two cents seeing that I've some experience with various exhaust set ups....

1) Remove the cross member, it doesn't hurt
2) I've successfully used hose clamps from Home Depot around all my weaksauce OEM exhaust hangers and that has raised my cat-back high enough that it doesn't rattle. I've done this for my Frankencar, Cattman, and Megan rear sections, with the Frankencar really the only one with slight rattling because it has the biggest muffler. HOWEVER, I have Cattman Gen II headers, which were designed to be close to the chassis, so that has pulled up the cat and b-pipe slightly already.

EDIT:

Old pic of said hose clamps here:

AHHHHH!!!, ok ok

THANKS ALOT PUPPET!

THIS HELPS OUT ALOT!!!!

Oh yea, what size clamps should i get?...or is yours a generic size, and has just been clipped?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:44 AM

In the rear I didn't use the rubber hangers, I use a 2 or 3 inche clamp directly attached to the metal hanger underneath the car, the exhaust is tight. Sorry but my car is all wrapped up because of the paint job we are doing, I should be able to take a look underneath the car over the week-end.

AA
Old 01-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Where are you guys getting the megan exhaust from?

Quick Reply: Cattman Exhaust FITTMENT ISSUES ANYONE?