5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just got the Fuel-Cut TSB done....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 03:43 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Just got the Fuel-Cut TSB done....

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, since the Nissan Tech just did it in my works' parking lot. Pretty cool "Service" Manager sent him ASAP, since I gave a BAD report to their "Customer Satisfaction" call back.

There is a NEW/UPDATED TSB that came out AFTER Sept or October. The TSB is NTB01-018A and the LATEST part number is 23710-4Y914(This is for 2001 California Emission Maximas with V-rated(17") tires and a Manual Transmission).

I'll report later NEXT week the results, since the ECU has to relearn and I will be putting over 1000 miles on it.

P.S: The Consult II is a pretty cool looking GameBoy/Scope/Voltmeter/Printer. I wish I could get my hands on one. Anyways, I got to watch the download and meet a cool Service Tech, so it was worth the delay. Now I can request him anytime I go in for service, which is comforting since he doesn't think intakes and mufflers are a big deal.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:45 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Wow, I've never heard of a Nissan Tech going off site before.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Wow, I've never heard of a Nissan Tech going off site before.
Especially, since it was at least a 30-40 minute commute.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Thanks for adding this to the sticky.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:02 PM

FIRST Impression POST TSB...

This is my FIRST impression of what I remember during a 45-minute drive RIGHT after I got the TSB. The car was fully warmed up, but the ECU was reset when I got the TSB so it's still in "learn-mode".
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

I'm sooooooooo HAPPY!

Even though everything is not perfect, I can definitely live with the "behavior" of my car now. I will now be able to keep my car for at least 3yrs.. Again the TSB is not a 100% fix, but a PRETTY GOOD bandaid. "Nissan Service" was slow off the start, but the Service Manager MORE than made up for his Service Advisor.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:33 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Just got the Fuel-Cut TSB done....

What you mean NEW TSB? The fuel-cut has been out for a year now I believe.

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, since the Nissan Tech just did it in my works' parking lot. Pretty cool "Service" Manager sent him ASAP, since I gave a BAD report to their "Customer Satisfaction" call back.

There is a NEW/UPDATE TSB that came out in Sept or October along with a NEW Part Number. The TSB is NTB01-018A and the part number is 23710-4Y914(This is for 2001 California Emission Maximas with V-rated(17") tires and a Manual Transmission).

I'll report later NEXT week the results, since the ECU has to relearn and I will be putting over 1000 miles on it.

P.S: The Consult II is a pretty cool looking GameBoy/Scope/Voltmeter. I wish I could get my hands on one. Anyways, I got to watch the download and meet a cool Service Tech, so it was worth the delay. Now I can request him anytime I go in for service, which is comforting since he doesn't think intakes and mufflers are a big deal.

Old 11-15-2001, 09:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Just got the Fuel-Cut TSB done....

There is a NEW/UPDATE TSB that came out in Sept or October along with a NEW Part Number. The TSB is NTB01-018A and the part number is 23710-4Y914(This is for 2001 California Emission Maximas with V-rated(17") tires and a Manual Transmission).

If this is a new TSB, did you have the old TSB performed. That is, in my opionion, the old TSB was a drastic improvement. Are your improvements on top of the old TSB? Also, let us know when the ECU is done "learning" and what the results are. I want to know if if I should talk to my Tech about this, but I won't if there is a performance penalty. I am happy with the first TSB fix and my car is performing really well right now (4K on original program - 14K on the TSB reprogram and it stills seems to be getting faster). But if this is even better, I don't want to pass it up.

Thanks for the info and the discovery of the updated TSB!!!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Just got the Fuel-Cut TSB done....

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
What you mean NEW TSB? The fuel-cut has been out for a year now I believe.

The Fuel-Cut TSB has MULTIPLE versions. There has been at least 5 versions for the 2001s.

If you had yours done before Sept. or Oct. or even later, you probably don't have the latest, since the Consult-II had the most recent download which was even newer than his Sept. or Oct. TSB printout.

Is it better than yours, I don't know. All I know is it is WAY better than stock.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:49 AM

Re: FIRST Impression POST TSB...

Ice's comments pretty much describe my experience with the TSB fix. Mine was done mid-October. So far, so good.

I've since heard about a TSB for rough idle that's not AT related and usually occurs within the first minute of a cold start (that's what got me to go back for service and I had the fuel cut fix done at the same time). Does anybody know if the rough idle reprogramming has been incorporated into the fuel cut reprogramming fix and if so, as of when?

Norm
Old 11-16-2001, 07:02 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: FIRST Impression POST TSB...

Originally posted by Norm Peterson
Ice's comments pretty much describe my experience with the TSB fix. Mine was done mid-October. So far, so good.

I've since heard about a TSB for rough idle that's not AT related and usually occurs within the first minute of a cold start (that's what got me to go back for service and I had the fuel cut fix done at the same time). Does anybody know if the rough idle reprogramming has been incorporated into the fuel cut reprogramming fix and if so, as of when?

Norm
Hey Alex, could you monitor the gas mileage for me? I know you monitored it before. ( ) so I am curious over time what it does to the gas mileage. That is the only thing I am really concerned over.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: FIRST Impression POST TSB...

Originally posted by Colonel

Hey Alex, could you monitor the gas mileage for me? I know you monitored it before. ( ) so I am curious over time what it does to the gas mileage. That is the only thing I am really concerned over.
Sure. I keep track on all of my receipts, some are not valid since I lost my mileage when I disconnected the battery, but I'll post on Sunday or Monday my HWY trip miles.

However, I don't care if I lost 5mpg and 20hp from the TSB, because my car is so much SMOOTHER to drive now(not perfect, but GOOD). Before I got the TSB, I'd get annoyed/pi$$ed off everytime the damn engine/tranny jumped and the car bucked, which was SEVERAL times each day. Not something I enjoy doing, but I'm EXTREMELY picky when it comes to my cars and how they feel, sound, look, and behave.

I'm all for MORE POWER and decent fuel economy. The Maxima has more than enough power for me to get into trouble, but the refinement I was expecting for close to $30K was NOT there. Now I feel like I have a vehicle closer to what I expected/wanted, at least for 4DSC under $30K.

I'm just PI$$ED OFF I drove like this for 8K miles and that Nissan refuses to admit there is a problem or tell people about TSBs, so if it wasn't for this board I would have gotten rid of my Max ASAP.

Thanks MAXIMA.ORG peeps!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:29 AM

How to approach the dealer

ICE,

I think this has been discussed before, but how did you approach the dealership with this problem? Did you walk right in and say "Do this TSB"?

I am interested, but I don't know how to get started with this. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Jay
Old 11-16-2001, 09:59 AM

Re: How to approach the dealer

Originally posted by jsangha
ICE,

I think this has been discussed before, but how did you approach the dealership with this problem? Did you walk right in and say "Do this TSB"?

I am interested, but I don't know how to get started with this. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Jay
Call ahead and ask for the Service Manager. Say you plan on coming in to request a TSB be performed and you would like to make sure everything is setup/ready when you come in. Then there will be a long silence as they try and comprehend how you know of a TSB and why you would want it. They are used to smucks bringing in their cars with a problem and it is left up to the service technician to diagnosis the problem. Anyways, if they are unwilling or give you trouble, just say you got a copy of TSB #.... from the NHTSA(National Highway Transportation Saftey Association or something) website and you would like the TSB to be performed due to such and such symptoms and a concern of wear on drivetrain components such as motor mounts, transmission mounts, etc...

Hopefully, they agree and are willing to at least connect their Consult-II up to your OBD port. If they do and they have the latest TSB updates downloaded into the Consult, it will tell them there is a new part number available.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: How to approach the dealer

Call ahead and ask for the Service Manager. Say you plan on coming in to request a TSB be performed and you would like to make sure everything is setup/ready when you come in. Then there will be a long silence as they try and comprehend how you know of a TSB and why you would want it. They are used to smucks bringing in their cars with a problem and it is left up to the service technician to diagnosis the problem. Anyways, if they are unwilling or give you trouble, just say you got a copy of TSB #.... from the NHTSA(National Highway Transportation Saftey Association or something) website and you would like the TSB to be performed due to such and such symptoms and a concern of wear on drivetrain components such as motor mounts, transmission mounts, etc...

Hopefully, they agree and are willing to at least connect their Consult-II up to your OBD port. If they do and they have the latest TSB updates downloaded into the Consult, it will tell them there is a new part number available.
I just printed out the TSB and handed it to the service advisor. He asked me where i got it and I replied "the internet". They tried to tell me on a prior trip that there was no TSB for my symptons. Now that the TSB was performed the car is much smoother.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: How to approach the dealer

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

I just printed out the TSB and handed it to the service advisor. He asked me where i got it and I replied "the internet". They tried to tell me on a prior trip that there was no TSB for my symptons. Now that the TSB was performed the car is much smoother.
how true how true....I don't have a 5 spd(wish to hell I did) but as far as TSB's go, they will try to screw you on anything(dealer). I just had my brakes done...the SM tried to tell me that there was nothing wrong with the rotors but he would cut them but it would cost me. I pointed out that there is a TSB that covers the brake issue...he asked me for the # which I gave to him. End of the day I had new pads and rotors were resurfaced for nada dollar.

Gotta play with these bastards..they'll try to screw you big time.