5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CAI's.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 05:35 PM

CAI's.....

so CAI's are the best for low end and at WOT, but is tehre any alternative to cutting a hole in your fender?
Old 11-15-2001, 05:59 PM

Re: CAI's.....

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
so CAI's are the best for low end and at WOT, but is tehre any alternative to cutting a hole in your fender?
Not the best for low end.. but i think you can put it through the fog light hole, but do you want to remove your fog light if your a GLE/SE?
Old 11-15-2001, 06:52 PM

Re: Re: CAI's.....

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Not the best for low end.. but i think you can put it through the fog light hole, but do you want to remove your fog light if your a GLE/SE?
If you connect it through your fog light, you better have a screen of some sort to block the road debris and bugs that fly in.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:00 PM

not to be snooty, but if there was a better way ... don't you think they would have come up with it?

you can't really just put it down beside the engine to the ground (you would really take a chance on water with that - and I still think you would get "hot" radiant air from the engine. I know someone on here did an intake that put the cone up damn near the battery or maybe just infront of it. Actually, it may have been hogan (yo its ok) who first made that. I don't remember, but whoever said they got significant gains over stock with that setup. You might want to do some searching to see about that intake idea. It was about 6-7 months ago that I saw that.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by ispeed
not to be snooty, but if there was a better way ... don't you think they would have come up with it?

you can't really just put it down beside the engine to the ground (you would really take a chance on water with that - and I still think you would get "hot" radiant air from the engine. I know someone on here did an intake that put the cone up damn near the battery or maybe just infront of it. Actually, it may have been hogan (yo its ok) who first made that. I don't remember, but whoever said they got significant gains over stock with that setup. You might want to do some searching to see about that intake idea. It was about 6-7 months ago that I saw that.

ok, just thinking off this ... the OSCAI allow for cold air into the engine with not cutting of the fender. Most people put the tube down near the fog light as aznwontonboy suggested. It's kinda a ghetto CAI, but a CAI none the less. With the oscai you don't have to worry about water, but you also don't get as smooth of airflow as with a manufactured cai. who know's if that really makes a difference since the MAF screen disrupts the flow ...

good luck with whatever you decide. I have a personal pref. to the place racing CAI.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by ispeed

who know's if that really makes a difference since the MAF screen disrupts the flow ...
I wouldn't go removing that MAF screen. I think someone did it, it showed no gains, but now your engine it exposed to anyhting that comes into that tube. No screen is there to trap big particales of dirt/debris. You won't notice anything with the MAF screen off.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:34 PM

why not try that new air intake that sits out front like an intercooler i bet that works as good if not better than all intakes
Old 11-15-2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
why not try that new air intake that sits out front like an intercooler i bet that works as good if not better than all intakes
Old 11-15-2001, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

You never saw it? It's the aerospeed could front intake...It seems like it would work. Faster you go the more power you gonna get from ram air effect.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max'n out
Are you talking about the front mount intake by Arospeed? Ive seen those and it looks like it would work good..Ive also been told that Arospeed dosent make em for Maxima..you might wann get ahold of em and ask em if they planning on making one...
Old 11-15-2001, 08:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: CAI's.....

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Whats the best intake for low end? Ive always thought it was the pr cai? inst the cai the best over all?
Old 11-15-2001, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

I wouldn't go removing that MAF screen. I think someone did it, it showed no gains, but now your engine it exposed to anyhting that comes into that tube. No screen is there to trap big particales of dirt/debris. You won't notice anything with the MAF screen off.

real long discussion on that one ... if I remember correctly with it ending that the removal was bad in more ways than one. I agree ... don't take it out. If you are really interested you could do a search for it. I think it was about 4-5 pages of replies. It was decided that the screen was there for the sensor as well.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

Are you talking about the front mount intake by Arospeed? Ive seen those and it looks like it would work good..Ive also been told that Arospeed dosent make em for Maxima..you might wann get ahold of em and ask em if they planning on making one...
I don't want one ihave a s/c...but for those that want one why not get the intake piece that goes out front and then get custom pipeing made it woun't be that much prob 350 or so. about the same as a normal intake.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

those look tight, but they only make em for honda/acura. i think im gonna wait a little while longer and see if they start makin em for any other cars.