5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Was rear ended last week, need insurance settlement advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Was rear ended last week, need insurance settlement advice?

I have a 2000 SE with 140k miles, The engine runs great and over all the car has a lot of life left. I was stopped to make a left turn and rear ended. The car has minimal visible damage so pics won't help you, but it has 2 small holes from the bolts of the other cars license plate, the trunk is buckled a little bit and the support brackets are pushed in. The garage is telling me that it will need to go on the frame machine, and have the trunk straightened, new support brackets, bumper skin, and paint.

I want to argue the fact that this is a huge inconvienence and that the car will likely never run the same and asked for some additional money in case there is a problem down the road. Any suggestions.

Last edited by papasuede; 01-30-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM
It's business time.

From the what!?!?!? I assume license plate bracket?

How about you call your carrier and tell them what happened. If you want to file a claim then do so, but if there is a chance your premium will go up then don't. This needs moved to general forum.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:49 PM

my suggestion: buy my rear clip for your car.. good luck sir!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM

are you still driving the car? does it shake or pull one way? a lil trick i learned was to wet the tires so they "track" (keep reading..you'll understand) . . .on a drive surface (with the wet tires) drive forward about 50ft or so... if you see 2 lines, then you're ok, but if there is 4 lines (even 3), there might be some frame work needed. But noone really knows until the car is torn down and really looked at. Most of the time with the insurance agencies you can have them pay the labor for the "tear down." Sometimes you have to get ugly, but it is possible. Then see what they tell you, then you make the call on what you want to do. Fact is though that sometimes they will get crash parts or Aftermarket parts to cut down the overall cost, but its really your choice on what you want to do. Just remember that if the price hits a certain percentage of the total value of the car, they will total it.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

You will lose the case. If this were a front-end collision, it would be a different story. So long as everything associated with the torsion section and below are intact, you will, in all reality, be fine.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:51 PM

im confused..did u file a claim yet? if u didnt u should
Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM

you should
Old 01-30-2009, 05:50 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

A competent shop should be able to repair your car correctly. 9 year old car with 140k miles isn't going to get you much more if they total it. Get it fixed and sell it if driving it bothers you.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks for your posts. I am in the process of filing a claim. I have preferred collision on my policy so I can file with my own ins comp and they will subrogate against the at fault parties ins.

My main issue isn't the fact that the repairs will be covered by someone else, it is that the car won't run right after. Since I have frame damage and they will have to tweak it and do a 4 wheel alignment etc, I just don't want to discover any other problems down the road.

I'd like to keep the car as long as I can since the engine runs great and I've done all maintenance. 140K 1st accident since driving... just trying to make sure I get everything taken care of.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Papa, again, if anything connected to the torsion arms are fine, your car will drive as true as it did prior to the accident.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:31 PM

okay, im going to use my car as an example. I got rear ended by a school bus when I was stopped at a red light almost a half a year ago.

As you can see, there was a decent amount of damage. truck frame was pretty messed up as you can see here

My car was fixed by a friend for around 1700(i think) and my car now still drives like brand new. Your frame probably isnt damaged, but the trunk frame is easily damaged on any car in a rear end collision. If you car is anything like mine, it will be fine
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM

ouch how the **** a skool bus hit you **** was the guy drunk or something

Last edited by 96max3189; 02-01-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:25 PM

i work with insurance companies every day with my job and trust me they are constantly worried about being sued. I deal with them on a jewelry front but they are required to provide like kind and quality as long as your coverage allows. In your case this would mean they are required to have your car repaired to a like new condition.

The thing about insurance adjusters is they are trained to nickel and dime you wherever possible to keep costs down, but if you are a little bit persistent with them they will take care of you.

I also know some insurance companies have lifetime repair warranties, you may want to ask your adjuster about that. Also ask them what happens if the car is "fixed" but isn't the same
Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM

I think whenever a car is in a collision, they automatically put it on a frame puller. Just to be sure the frame is straight. I could be wrong but from my experiences this has always been the case. As long as the repairs dont exceed 80% of your cars value they should fix it. If it does exceed 80% they will most likely total it. A good body shop will fix the car the right way first and in most cases look better than it did previously. And it should drive as well too.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:35 PM

I had a 3rd gen max (94) that was hit in the side last March. It was declared a total loss because the repairs would run $3450. The insurance company (Farmers) said that when the repairs cost 75% of the car's value, then its junk. They offered me $2400 for the car even though Kelly's Blue Book indicated more. Farmers claim center is in Oklahoma city and around there, a car in fair condition was selling for $2400. This is in spite of the fact that their own appraiser said my car was in excellent condition. I talked to a lawyer about it and he told me that without there being personal injury involved, suing wouldn't really get me much more after attorney fees.

I would get your car repaired, it really doesn't sound that bad. Since they will write you a check and you take the car to what ever body shop you want, research the body shop for customer satisfaction. If the repair isn't right, its the body shop's problem, not the insurance company's.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Toolie

Look for a company that has lifetime warranty on the repair, that way if it isn't right you keep bringing it back until it is right. I hit a deer doing 80kph 8 weeks ago and they tried to write my car off. They offered me 7k for my 03 with 180k. They said they checked in my area and found that the average price of a maxima in my neighborhood was 8K minus 1k deductible. But then I showed the adjuster that I had only 50k on the engine, 6k on the new tranny, new brakes, new tires, and all my receipts for anything I had bought in the last 6 months. Then I showed him how much an 03 max was worth in my neighborhood with only 50K on it. They ended up fixing the car and it runs and looks like new.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 96max3189
ouch how the **** a skool bus hit you **** was the guy drunk or something
I was at a red light and he claimed that he thought the light turned green and didnt see my car so he accelerated right into me.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 PM

lol the first time my car got rear ended, the guy who hit me wasn't paying attention, and thought i went to turn on a yield on green light... He had an illegal immigrant from Canada :P
Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 AM

It wasn't your fault so u should get compensated
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM

I would have sued the school district!!! Been rolling in a 6th Gen!!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Feldman
I also know some insurance companies have lifetime repair warranties,

Most ins. co. offer lifetime warranty for collision work as long as you use one of their approved shops. I worked in the collision industry for a few years. Some body shops will also offer you a warranty on their work, in most cases it's lifetime as well.

Case in point, My BMW 330I took a good impact a few years back. A few years later I noticed rust on the body pannels that were replaced. Called the ins. company and within a week I had a check in hand for the replacement of the rusted pannels. Lifetime warranty from the Ins.co.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

well if something is trashed as they are saying, and you have the other drivers ins. info that rear ended you, what is the big deal? I would just get it fixed.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

Most ins. co. offer lifetime warranty for collision work as long as you use one of their approved shops. I worked in the collision industry for a few years. Some body shops will also offer you a warranty on their work, in most cases it's lifetime as well.

Case in point, My BMW 330I took a good impact a few years back. A few years later I noticed rust on the body pannels that were replaced. Called the ins. company and within a week I had a check in hand for the replacement of the rusted pannels. Lifetime warranty from the Ins.co.
Yeah, Some guy rear ended me and he had Nationwide.. I got it repaired at one of their Blue Ribbon repair facilities.. and its Lifetime as long i own my car.. I got it back, then i noticed some things that were scratched / paint dots ect.. and i got my rental car back and it got a brand new bumper, tail lights and repainted
Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Just call your insurance company and call theother guy insurance, take it to a shop, fix the car and be done with it. for what you are saying there is no major damage to your car. Don't be so paranoid and fix it, then if it not ok sell it and buy a new one. Remember it is a 9 year old car so the value it is almos gone.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM

OK , so here we go, Round 2, I got my car back from the shop and the aftermarket bumper was complete crap. The edges where it meets the fender were rounded over in some places( like it should be) and flat in others. Almost like someone took an iron to the edge and melted it or the mold that they used to make the cheap aftermarket bumper was defective.

I called the adjuster and told them that I wasn't happy with the repair and they wanted me to talk to the shop again. Back to the shop to show them the poor quality bumper skin and they said that that is normal and that b/c the ins. only pays for aftermarket parts and the shop works with what they get. Owner tells me 8 out of 10 people would have said that the repairs look great and never questioned it. I like many org members I wouldn't accept that, so we went round and round and they agreed if the Ins would pay for OEM bumper skin then they would order OEM. I callled the adjuster again and explained that the Aft Mkt bumper didn't fit correctly and they agreed to order an OEM bumper. WIN, WIN for me.. I thought.

Car went to the shop, new OEM bumper painted and installed, and I took the car home. Still have problems. Round 3.. This time, exahust still sounds like there is a leak, the driver side marker light has broken bulb, and there is a clunk/ banging noise coming from the rear when going over bumps.

I am livid. I can't believe that the original shop had 2 chances to get it right and I am still having problems. So, I call adjuster again, explain the problems and that I would like to go somewhere else to get a 2nd opinion. She agrees and I bring to to my mechanic to look at the exhaust etc. He looks at it and finds that the joint where the mid-pipe and the rear section was ripped open and the pipe is banging on the frame. Another call to the adjuster and I'm scheduled to get $900 of exhaust work done to fix the exhaust leak and banging noise in the back.

Not sure if anyone else has dealt with multiple attempts to get something fixed after a no fault accident, but I worked with the ins adjuster instead of yelling at them and they were willing to work with me. Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to share my experience.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 AM

top advice!
Originally Posted by papasuede
OK , so here we go, Round 2, I got my car back from the shop and the aftermarket bumper was complete crap. The edges where it meets the fender were rounded over in some places( like it should be) and flat in others. Almost like someone took an iron to the edge and melted it or the mold that they used to make the cheap aftermarket bumper was defective.

I called the adjuster and told them that I wasn't happy with the repair and they wanted me to talk to the shop again. Back to the shop to show them the poor quality bumper skin and they said that that is normal and that b/c the ins. only pays for aftermarket parts and the shop works with what they get. Owner tells me 8 out of 10 people would have said that the repairs look great and never questioned it. I like many org members I wouldn't accept that, so we went round and round and they agreed if the Ins would pay for OEM bumper skin then they would order OEM. I callled the adjuster again and explained that the Aft Mkt bumper didn't fit correctly and they agreed to order an OEM bumper. WIN, WIN for me.. I thought.

Car went to the shop, new OEM bumper painted and installed, and I took the car home. Still have problems. Round 3.. This time, exahust still sounds like there is a leak, the driver side marker light has broken bulb, and there is a clunk/ banging noise coming from the rear when going over bumps.

I am livid. I can't believe that the original shop had 2 chances to get it right and I am still having problems. So, I call adjuster again, explain the problems and that I would like to go somewhere else to get a 2nd opinion. She agrees and I bring to to my mechanic to look at the exhaust etc. He looks at it and finds that the joint where the mid-pipe and the rear section was ripped open and the pipe is banging on the frame. Another call to the adjuster and I'm scheduled to get $900 of exhaust work done to fix the exhaust leak and banging noise in the back.

Not sure if anyone else has dealt with multiple attempts to get something fixed after a no fault accident, but I worked with the ins adjuster instead of yelling at them and they were willing to work with me. Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to share my experience.