5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Funny thing I discovered today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 08:06 PM
RBa

Funny thing I discovered today!!!

Some of you might know this already but I wasn't quite sure about it until today.
I was fixing Toylets turn signal and while digging around his fuse box, I noticed he had a fuse for heated seats. What was buggin me was he doesn't have the option of heated seats. So I check under the front seat and what do I see? Electrical wires!!! Funny!!.. Why would his manual seats have electrical wires connecting to god knows what? It only leads to one conclusion.. I guessing that the heated seats are already built into our cars... So when you're paying extra for the heated seats, what they are really doing is adding a switch.. Am I right???
Old 11-15-2001, 08:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Funny thing I discovered today!!!

Originally posted by RBa
Some of you might know this already but I wasn't quite sure about it until today.
I was fixing Toylets turn signal and while digging around his fuse box, I noticed he had a fuse for heated seats. What was buggin me was he doesn't have the option of heated seats. So I check under the front seat and what do I see? Electrical wires!!! Funny!!.. Why would his manual seats have electrical wires connecting to god knows what? It only leads to one conclusion.. I guessing that the heated seats are already built into our cars... So when you're paying extra for the heated seats, what they are really doing is adding a switch.. Am I right???
I have a 2k1 GLE and i didnt pay for the heated seats option either....but when i was rewireing my fogs 2day i also noticed the heated seats stuff......is there any way we can just hook em up and add a switch? I think i have noticed an empty wiring harness under my seats, not sure but ill check again. anyway, i think it would pay to look into this, because if we can all get heated seats by hoooking them up ourselves, i say lets do it!
Old 11-15-2001, 08:36 PM

Interesting...

I remember when I was installing my amps I noticed a bunch of extra fuses for HEATED SEATS and ROLL BLINDS, Etc. I also noticed an extra connector under my seat, just dangling there. But, I never removed it to chase down what it was supposed to connect to. I could see them installing the "option" in the seats but not giving us the switch. FYI: I have an SE with Convenience Package.

Tell us what you know forum...

ADMAN
Old 11-15-2001, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think it might be easier/cheaper to include all cars w/ the hardwiring..so that way they dont have to differentiate between the two..they just either put the seats w/ heaters or the ones w/out..its kinda like new houses built today are hardwired for fiberoptics and computer wiring..that way you dont have to tear the house up and crawl around the attic putting in wires later on, whetehr you want it or not..
Old 11-15-2001, 08:52 PM

possible?

Originally posted by ChillWill2000
i think it might be easier/cheaper to include all cars w/ the hardwiring..so that way they dont have to differentiate between the two..they just either put the seats w/ heaters or the ones w/out..its kinda like new houses built today are hardwired for fiberoptics and computer wiring..that way you dont have to tear the house up and crawl around the attic putting in wires later on, whetehr you want it or not..
i just wanna know if its possible to wire our own switches or get the switches from nissan and wire the heated seats "option" ourself. those extra harnesses and stuff have to be there for some reason......y not use em? but anyway, give us some info forum.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RBa
I am certain that this has been discussed at sometime over the past six months and the result was that the heating element was not included in those cars without the option. So elements and switches would have to be installed. I think someone even checked with Dave about parts, but I can't remember the outcome. I will try to search the old threads and see what I come up with.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:43 PM
RBa

Re: Re: Funny thing I discovered today!!!

Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE

I am certain that this has been discussed at sometime over the past six months and the result was that the heating element was not included in those cars without the option. So elements and switches would have to be installed. I think someone even checked with Dave about parts, but I can't remember the outcome. I will try to search the old threads and see what I come up with.
Please do.. Thank you!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 09:56 PM

heated seats for free would be phat... keep us posted
Old 11-15-2001, 09:59 PM
JET Speed Lab

that was my car
Old 11-15-2001, 10:09 PM
RBa

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
that was my car
Stop whoring!!!!..........
Old 11-15-2001, 10:15 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by RBa

Stop whoring!!!!..........
ok.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that wire going to the seats is not for heated seats... I think it's some sort of sensor to tell if someone is in the seat. I belive it's there for seatbelt chiming purposes. After all, anyone seen a max with heated cloth seats?
Old 11-15-2001, 11:41 PM
RBa

Originally posted by punkdork
I'm pretty sure that wire going to the seats is not for heated seats... I think it's some sort of sensor to tell if someone is in the seat. I belive it's there for seatbelt chiming purposes. After all, anyone seen a max with heated cloth seats?
You got a point there but alot of ppl would be happy if they can get heated seats without paying a bundle...
Old 11-16-2001, 12:50 AM

is it possible to add heated seats? anyone have any idea how much that would run me? i live in north dakota so it would be nice...
Old 11-16-2001, 01:32 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

I almost bought a 99 SE-L with heated cloth seats, this 99 should not have excisted(sp?) since on the 4th gen's you werent supposed to be able to get the "deluxe seating" package without the leather but . There was a black 2k SE at The Acura meet back in Sept. that had heated cloth. I've seen a few here and there.
Old 11-16-2001, 05:02 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by flerve
is it possible to add heated seats? anyone have any idea how much that would run me? i live in north dakota so it would be nice...
2-3 dollar switch and some wirring of your own
Old 11-16-2001, 05:20 AM

what you guys are talking about is a very common practice that MOST manufacturers do. a good example would be a BMW, if you want at stripped one, u can buy one but it's already prewired for the alarm, behind warmer, sensors left and right, from my own personal experience, when I had my 89 mazda 626, some models had adjustable front shocks from the inside, now my car didn't have those, but when I took the dash out, I saw the wiring for it, I actually went to a junk yard, got that part and put it on my car, the led's that showed which setting it's in, sports, normal, auto lit up, which was interesting because I didn't have that option, but it was already prewired, so don't be surprised to see maximas be prewired for all that stuff
Old 11-16-2001, 05:30 AM

So..is there anyone want to try to rewire the heated cloth seats for 2001 max???
it's getting COLD in Boston...
Thanks..
Old 11-16-2001, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Garfield
So..is there anyone want to try to rewire the heated cloth seats for 2001 max???
it's getting COLD in Boston...
Thanks..
yeah it is, although tonight was surprisingly nice
Old 11-16-2001, 05:33 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by Vinipux

yeah it is, although tonight was surprisingly nice
dont worry guys, i'll let you know what happens when i get the time!
Old 11-16-2001, 06:41 AM

Working in the aircraft business, we provide "provisions" for lots of customer options which they may or may not buy. It is cheaper that way to reduce the variablilty.
As for the heated seats, it seems to me the seats would be variable (ie. one with the element and one without), but the company would provide wireing provisions to the switch blanks in the console as wire is pretty cheap to do, especially in the normal flow of the manufacuring process.
Mike from Boeing
Old 11-16-2001, 06:51 AM

I think part of the wiring is for the power seat feature and more. It shouldn't be too hard to wire this up if one had access to a car with and without the option. I have the wires too but not the option (2Kse C&C package)
Old 11-16-2001, 07:18 AM

This would be cool. I wonder how big the butt warmer is though? You may have to remove the leather/cloth (possible?) to install.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by ToYLeT902

dont worry guys, i'll let you know what happens when i get the time!
Don't have time to change a fuse but you have time to try some ooglie heated seats?
Old 11-16-2001, 07:45 AM

Not common but they do exist - my max is cloth with heated seats!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:21 AM

...i may be going on a stretch here, but, was it ever conceivable that maybe the wires were for the seatbelt warning lamp?

It's much more cost effective to create one fuse box and insert the fuse and accompanying equipement for accessories than several different fuse boxes for the wealth of options.

It's NOT cost effective to add heated seats to every Maxima and just add a fuse and some minor wiring. Can you imagine how much Nissan would lose in that option alone if all you had to do was add a switch and a fuse?
Old 11-16-2001, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
...i may be going on a stretch here, but, was it ever conceivable that maybe the wires were for the seatbelt warning lamp?

It's much more cost effective to create one fuse box and insert the fuse and accompanying equipement for accessories than several different fuse boxes for the wealth of options.

It's NOT cost effective to add heated seats to every Maxima and just add a fuse and some minor wiring. Can you imagine how much Nissan would lose in that option alone if all you had to do was add a switch and a fuse?
Thats what I said on the first page of this thread... only without the detail
Old 11-16-2001, 09:37 AM

Don't have time to change a fuse but you have time to try some ooglie heated seats?
You could probably accomplish that with a cigarette lighter power adapter and a George Foreman Grill.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:59 AM
Very sound, Mike

I haven't looked under my driver seat but i did notice on the front passenger seat there was some sort of wiring down there, in fact it was just dangling down (easily seen).

Take note it's a manual seat with cloth upholstery and i doubt it's for the seat belt light either since as far as i can tell only Camry's have that light that goes on for passengers not wearing a seatbelt.

Darn this ooglie heated seat would be sweeeet!

- Mike
Old 11-16-2001, 11:02 AM
JET Speed Lab

RBa changed it for me yesterday. and for the heated seats.. i wouldnt do it myself
Old 11-16-2001, 03:02 PM

Here Peeps:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=35238

ADMAN
Old 11-16-2001, 03:30 PM

I believe it's the seatbelt sensor too, but if I'm wrong...an OOGLIE heated seat would be nice.
Old 11-16-2001, 05:30 PM

Re: Re: Funny thing I discovered today!!!

Originally posted by adman
Here Peeps:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=35238

ADMAN
You found it
Old 11-16-2001, 08:18 PM

Oooo... Raises hand. I have Meridian Package on my 2002 with cloth seats. I have every option except leather package and navigation.

anyone seen a max with heated cloth seats?
Old 11-16-2001, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Paul6speed
Oooo... Raises hand. I have Meridian Package on my 2002 with cloth seats. I have every option except leather package and navigation.

i wonder if it burns the cloth?
Old 11-17-2001, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
i wonder if it burns the cloth?
It's not that hot!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

wiring hanging under seats

i was told by a mechanic at the dealer that the wiring was for the optional side airbags that deploy from the side of the seat. as far as heated seats are concerned, one guy told me $500 to install them at the dealer, but i would like to get another opinion from a reputable source.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by HulaMAX
I believe it's the seatbelt sensor too, but if I'm wrong...an OOGLIE heated seat would be nice.
You are correct, the wiring you see under the seat is the seat belt sensor...The passenger side does not contain the wiring, only the drivers...I discovered this while taking my seats apart to install my new leather ones. If you get custom leather seats, you can have the option of getting seat warmers...Even then, I don't think you would need the fuse...Just if you are using the stock switch
Old 03-03-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by MaxDoogie

You are correct, the wiring you see under the seat is the seat belt sensor...The passenger side does not contain the wiring, only the drivers...I discovered this while taking my seats apart to install my new leather ones. If you get custom leather seats, you can have the option of getting seat warmers...Even then, I don't think you would need the fuse...Just if you are using the stock switch
i dont know if i agree with that. when i was installing something in my 96 maxima i had to take out the passenger seat and there was a wiring harness on the seat that wasnt connected to anything. since my passanger seat was NOT a power seat i just assumed it was to wire the power seats had it in fact been a power seat.

although i may be incorrect with my assumption the fact that you say "the wiring you see under the seat is the seat belt sensor...The passenger side does not contain the wiring, only the drivers" is not correct.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:00 PM

Ok, to set this straight because obviously not everyone is paying attention to previous posts...

NO YOU CANNOT JUST PLUG IN THE SWITCHES AND HAVE HEATED SEATS.

(Though Land Rover made the mistake once of actually shipping all their seats with the heater element and people just ordered the $30 switch and plugged it in.)

Anyways, ALL the wiring you will ever need for your car (minus I think the CD changer?) is already in your car. Heated seats, side airbags, power seats, etc. It's more cost effective.

Not too long ago, I used the factory wiring and factory switches to hook up some aftermarket seat heaters. Do a search if you are really interested.