5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window Tinting on SE 01

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 08:14 AM

Window Tinting on SE 01

I am thinking about getting my 01 SE window's tinted. But I havent seen one on the street with it's windows tinted and I dont want to make it look stupid. I am not looking to have it really dark.

So does any one have a SE 01 in Sterling Mist with it's window's tinted? How does it look. Also - is it possible that you can post a picture so that I can see what it looks like!

Thanks!

By the way - love this site
Old 11-16-2001, 08:45 AM

Mines a 2k pics are on my hompage
Old 11-16-2001, 08:51 AM

Re: Window Tinting on SE 01

Originally posted by RinRobyn
I am thinking about getting my 01 SE window's tinted. But I havent seen one on the street with it's windows tinted and I dont want to make it look stupid. I am not looking to have it really dark.

So does any one have a SE 01 in Sterling Mist with it's window's tinted? How does it look. Also - is it possible that you can post a picture so that I can see what it looks like!

Thanks!

Trust me, it will look good. If you don't want it too dark, I recommend 35% all over. Or, you can go 35% (lighter) on the front side windows, and 25% (darker) on the rear sides and the rear window.
That's what I have, but unfortunately I have no pics at this time.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:00 AM

me too

i've got a sterling mist and thinking about getting tints too... from what i know and seen... i'll probably go with the regular black tint 35% all around. if u want more flash and have the $$ platinum tint looks good with the car.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:10 AM

I just thought of something. How much harder is it to see at night when you drive - or is it something you have to get used to. I don't mean to sound stupid - this is the first what i would consider Luxury/Sports car that i have owned. All my other 3 cars were honda civic hatchbacks (which I loved).

Thanks for your help
Old 11-16-2001, 09:14 AM

If you go 35% all over, you will not have any problems seeing outside. After I've had the tint for a while, I am so used to it that I forget it's there.

If you go darker, you may have to get used to it... but even 25% should not be a problem.

Keep in mind that with 35% tint, people will still be able to see you through the window in daytime. 35% is not very dark.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:14 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Click on www.maximadriver.com and look at one of my pics on my car there since there is no pics here on my sig.

Maximadave
Old 11-16-2001, 09:22 AM

Hey You Guys:

Thanks for your help on this. I guess the next step is to call around for pricing and find a someone good to do it. I have heard that New Jersey has some strange laws about tinting - unless it is factory installed - so I need to make sure it is a good job - so I wont even be attempting to do the tinting myself.

I appreciate it
Old 11-16-2001, 09:27 AM

Oopsie, did I hear NJ?

In NJ, it is illegal to have any kind of tint on the front side windows (driver and passenger). Bummer.

You can still do it, but then you have to think of "alternate" ways of passing inspection Which part of NJ are you in?
Old 11-16-2001, 09:46 AM

I live in south jersey. Cherry Hill area - if you dont know the area - it is not far from Philly. Yeah I heard something about the driver & passanger windows. I guess i will have to see.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:53 AM

Take a look at this chart. It should clear up things:

Tinting Laws

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2001, 11:51 AM

Re: Window Tinting on SE 01

Originally posted by RinRobyn

Thanks!

IMO, if your going to spend the money to tint your windows, go all the way and get 5% tint. It looks damn good and keeps your car nice and cool during the summer months. 35% tint is way to light and I see no purpose in wasting money on something that is so light. Where I live in Hawaii, we can only put on 35% on our front windows and anything over that is illegal but the chances for a cop to pull you over for just tint, is slim to none. It does happen but not that often. I like taking chances and it was well worth the money. Over one year already with no problems. Good luck.

Shadou
Old 11-16-2001, 12:36 PM

Now with 5% on the east coast, you will be way too dark and probably draw unneeded attention. I had 15% on the back and 30% on my driver doors on my mustang. I didnt have any problems seeing, but if you had the 15% on the driver doors you might be slightly affected by it at night, during the day, no problemo. I live in DE but work in southern jersey in Cherry hill, i have seen a few NJ maxs in the area with tint, like 3 or so. One was white, one was a blue AE adn the other was Gray luster.

hope it helps
Old 11-16-2001, 12:49 PM

It's pretty much illegeal everywhree to have tint on the front window. If you get 35% and don't be an a$$ no cops will bother you. It's not hard to see out. But be carefull backing up at night with no light behind you.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:06 PM

Exactly

Not all of us are lucky enough to live in Hawaii , but on the east coast in general if you go below 35% you will get pulled over once in awhile. Generally they will let you slide, just be polite and act stupid, tell them your girlfriend had it tinted for your birthday. Also the tint is very helpfull, it will keep direct sunlight from hitting your interior, especially if you have leather seats, and will keep your car cooler. Damn that sucks about Jersey's tint law, you can try and get a medical exemption from an eye doctor.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:07 PM

i have 5% tint in back and i think it looks OK but i wish i had gone with 15% or 20%. 35% isnt enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion.